Motorized Seatbelt not working | FerrariChat

Motorized Seatbelt not working

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by ozziindaus, Apr 20, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Hi guys,

Tried searching for a relevant thread but couldn't find one.

Yesterday afternoon when returning from a drive, the passenger side motorized seatbelt stopped half way and started buzzing (sounded like gears grinding). After parking the car, I was able to easily slide the mouse to the full restrained position.

My receipts show that the recall was performed but it's not clear if both belts were done. Is the recall still valid or over?

What could be the problem and is this an easy job to do?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Sam

2. blown daytona

blown daytona Formula 3

Feb 6, 2008
    maryland
    I think that after the recall is done it is a one year warranty. I hope I am wrong as even after my belts were done, I have a sticking switch on my drivers side belt. I know how to manipulate it to make it work but am not happy with the result. :(

3. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Unfortunately the recall did not affect the motorized portion of the belts: it only replaced the two ECUs and the retractor assembly, all located inside the central tunnel. Your description sounds like an issue with the track. I've not had mine out before but it seems fairly straighforward once the trim pieces are removed. I would start troubleshooting by removing the trim along the track so you can better observe what is happening as the system tries to guide the mouse along the track. Do you know how to remove the trim pieces?

4. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Nope but I'm sure I can work it out. Any tips?

5. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    #5 okiedude, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
    I've never dealt with Ferrari trim, but HF makes some great hard plastic trim removal tool sets. They have a yellow and a blue set. I use them all the time. One of the better tools you can get at HF. I'll try and post a link when I'm at a real computer.
    Here is the one set, don't see the yellow set?
    http://m.harborfreight.com/5-piece-auto-trim-and-molding-tool-set-67021.html

6. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I'm so happy my Canadian car doesn't have them. Good luck fixing it Sam.

7. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #7 302Tim, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I drafted some procedures when I disassembled my interior--here's the portion you would need. I did'nt go as far to remove the actual track from the coachwork though it looks like its only held with five 6mm (10mm wrench) nuts. Not sure how the track connects to the motor but I have seen them separated so I know it all comes apart. There are several used tracks on e-Bay, I would also highly recommend FerrParts, they have several TRs they are breaking. Good luck, hope you find out what's going on.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Nice write up Tim. I'll give it a shot and tell you guys how it goes.
    Thanks
    Sam

9. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    Sam,

I will follow your progress on this project. My TR is getting a little flaky on the driver side.

Curtis

10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Ferrari has had such a horrible reputation with TR passive restraints and multiple recalls and a frequency of repair right off the charts that they have actually repaired many for free over and above the recalls to prevent further Federal intervention and law suits. Forget the dealer, draft a nice letter explaining the problem with your VIN and mention the reputation, recalls, liability (in a nice way) send it to FNA in New Jersey and see what kind of response you get. If that doesn't work insist they officially reply in writing so you can forward their response to the DOT and NHTSA and see if that gets a reaction.

Every single component has ben subject to recall, some more than once and it is quite clear the system has never really been fixed.

11. johnrlyon

johnrlyon Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    I have the same problem with my 512TR. Looking into it is next on my to-do list, but I wasn't sure how to get the interior apart, so Tim, your guide is very helpful (I just hope my car is similar enough that I can follow your instructions!). Would you mind sharing your entire guide? It might come in handy one day.

Also, I've seen a few references here to people fitting non-US belts, but nothing that actually details the parts needed or how-to instructions. Does anyone have any more information about what it takes to do that conversion?