What future classics have you predicted in your lifetime? | FerrariChat

What future classics have you predicted in your lifetime?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Bradwilliams, May 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

#1 Bradwilliams, May 7, 2014
    Last edited: May 7, 2014
    Hi guys,

Just curious as to how many others try to predict the future classics every now and then? Ferrari and otherwise. Also, what cars have become classic these days that you didn't see coming at all? Of course, I never buy to speculate, but its always fun to see things that you like and put the future classic prediction on them. I'll name a few, with a duesy to start. I can still remember when for the most part.

1. Split window corvette. Called it when I was 12 years old (1995), swear to god, ask my father. They were peanuts at that time and I knew plenty of people that HATED them.

2. Porsche speedster 1989. Called it when I was 17 years old. BADASS car.

3. BMW E36 M3. Called it 4 years ago. Clean low mile cars are starting to pull very big bucks. It has already passed up the E30 in value. It is the ULTIMATE M3, the best there is the best there ever will be, and the sexiest.

4. Porsche 928 GTS. Called it when I was 16. Good luck getting one of those in stick for under 60k.

And the one I had NOOO idea was coming was the Dino. And I'm still calling bubble on that car. Styling is controversial, v6 engine, I could go on and on. The best argument to be made IMO is the F40 parallel theory. F40s are lower production, way more collectible, far superior cars, and are the holy grail of F-cars as far as the past 30 years are concerned. Values at 400-600k. Future value is Limitless. There is no way in HELL that you're going to convince me that the overproduced Dino with a v6 in it is worth what an F40 is worth. Complete nonsense. I know when a vintage ferrari jumps it almost never comes back down, but this is going to be an exception. And from what I have read, it has bubbled before. Everyone I've talked to in the community is saying the same thing. It isn't worth anywhere near what they are selling for. And if the majority of F-car nuts say so, then it most likely is so.

2. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    300SL Gullwing.

In the early 1980's I asked my father to buy the car. At the time, a good example could be purchased for the low 40's.

Plenty of others.

3. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    F40a are a cool million now, and Dino's at 350 average, and Daytona's around 550 average.

Not sure how you come up with them being similar in price.

I still think the Testarossa is the sleeper in all of this.

The issue is , so many good cars today fighting for similar dollars I don't think one can predict what will be good.

My kids are all over the map, the Ferrari is special, but today's kids love the Nissan GTR

Tastes change with every generation.

4. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

5. deichenb

deichenb Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Full Name:
    David
    Lancia Flaminia. Look to the PF and Touring coupes. 3C is choice.

6. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
  7. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Correct but at the time they were almost of the same value for a bit. Still pretty close. Dino=Bubble, time will show

8. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Old Shelby Mustangs (primarily '67 - '68 GT500s). Back in the day (mid nineties) they were in the mid 20k range. Good luck finding one for south of 100k now! I think after that nic cage remake of Gone in 60 Seconds they skyrocketed.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

9. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Some have called Dino bubble, but I would disagree.

As the Daytona and 275 continue to take off, so will other cars follow suit.

As they say high tide raises all boats.

What I don't understand is the bb boxer and c/4 being low production 12 bangers barely reaching the Dino prices. Albeit the Dino is prettier.

10. bensonae

bensonae Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2013
    Tokyo, Japan
    Full Name:
    Alex Benson
    Lancia Delta Integrale? Or am I an idiot? Always wanted one watching those WRC rallies.

11. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Simple, 512bbi, is better built, Hardly any produced to begin with, not many left at all. I would imagine there are still quite a few Dinos around. And there are definitely more dinos around than Boxers

12. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Just two. The TR and Testarossa :p

13. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Amen :)

14. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    in a lower price range:

renault 5 turbo 1 and 2, they double the price within the last 4 years, the price just now is nearly equal to the TR

the lancia 8/32, just now very very cheap to get and makes much fun to drive

15. chabch

chabch Formula 3

Aug 15, 2010
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    yeah, I'm not sure about the Lancia 8/32, just not special enough other than having a Ferrari engine. But I completely agree with the Lancia Delta Integrale HF.

I was 100% convinced the boxers were about to go up when I bought my TR 3 years ago. I remember seeing a 512BBi for 95k$ and I just knew it was the smarter investment choice, but I really really wanted a TR so I got a TR... :) I wasn't in for the investment. All that said, I do believe TRs are next, although to a lesser extend and it will take a little longer.

As of today, I personally think the best Ferrari investment is a 360CS.

Outside of Ferrari, the XJ220 and Carrera GT are very undervalued as well.

16. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

I just had a maintenance guy at my house who was in my garage. I have the Maranello and the TR next to each other. He didnt' even notice the maranello at all, didn't even look at it. He just gazed at the TR and said it was stunning :)

17. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

XJ220 is on my bucketlist. I hope they stay put at 300 like they have for a long time. And yes, the stradale is definitely up there on the list of modern classics. I think 355 GTS cars in manual will be quite valuable, 550 maranello has some promise with low production numbers and timeless looks, and the superamerica will always pull big bucks.

18. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    #18 John B, May 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I don't really make predictions. I don't buy cars based on mental calculus and a profit expectation, rather I buy from the heart. I buy what I lust for and think I will enjoy. I am fully prepared to lose financially on every one, expecting the enjoyment gained to exceed the monetary loss. Although I don't have a profit motive, when I buy from the heart and see perverse relative value it has tended to work out rather nicely over the last few decades.

P400S Miura - I thought it was the coolest car ever made, purchased it for about the price of a new Acura at the time.

246 GTS - Stunningly beautiful, but it wasn't a "Real" Ferrari, although a Mondial was... Ultimately, the Dino was underpowered for me.

'67 Jag E-Type S1 roadster - Gorgeous, powerful and nimble. Still a buy I think.

330 GTC - I really wanted a 275 GTB/4 at the time, but at $440k that train was leaving the station. I learned the GTC was essentially the same running gear in an elegant 2 seat coupe package for about 1/3 the price. The longer I looked at GTC's, the more they grew on me until I had to have one. Now, the longer I own it, the more I admire it. Few cars do that.

Ford GT - Purchased brand new at MSRP completely expecting a huge depreciation hit, but I just had to have one. Nearing a double now but It's a keeper...

CS - I just love the concept, dynamics and sound. 360's are down by half since I purchased it, but the CS is flat to up a little. I think the CS is truly a special car and will one day cross Scud's & Speciale's. It's an honest first of concept car and they only made 1,200. There will always be a newer, better, faster thing.

BB512 - Just two years ago for 1/3 the price of a Dino. A mid engined, Formula 1 inspired 5 Liter flat 12, twelve thirsty and loud carb venturis sticking straight up, the last hand made Ferrari, Enzo's favorite street car. I always liked the muscular looks and just love the driving experience. The sound makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck. Less than 1,000 made.

The one that never was:
    My Dad was an exec at Chrysler and had to order two new executive cars every six months. He was tiring of that just as I was entering my automotive lust years at 12 years old, so he gave me the order sheet to fill out for my mom's car. I carefully filled it out for a brand new 1970 Dodge Challenger RT convertible, 426 Hemi, 4-speed Pistol grip shifter, in Plum Purple with a white interior and top and gave it back to him. Before submitting it he modified it a bit to make it more suitable for my Mom. What we got was a '70 Challenger hardtop with a 318 auto, but in a nod to me it was Plum Purple with a white interior. I still lament that car was never born!

OK, since a prediction was specifically requested:
    Austin Healy 100M, Factory Lemans.
    Only 640 true factory cars built, reclining windscreen, louvered hood held down by a leather strap. For about the price of a new Porsche 911..
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Neither have a racing history. Other than Miami Vice nothing going for them. Looks are questionable. Dependability so, so. Not particularly fun to drive-bulky. Had a new 88 Testarossa and really don't want to get down on it ,but it is the only of 5 Ferrari's I've owned that I could not wait to get rid of. I will say however during the height of the Japanese stock market late 80's they reached 210,000. The economy and the longing of the youth of the 80's will be the fly, no fly obviously for this one.
    The Boxer will have legs. At least some racing history, good looks, very limited production of all years, in the production years caused many a heart throb in the youth, dependable,fun to drive. The way the front and rear bonnets opened-eyecatching. I sold mine duriing the height of the market and hopefully for the owners today they will score. 300,000 plus at the time. Now with inflation will it be worth 1.5 mill is the unknown. Can you believe the BBi 84 in Europe cost 44,000.00. As the importer of one of the last EPA and Dot ran this to a total of 75,000.00.

20. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I called the GTC4, back when I was in college they were $30-40k. I thought to myself that I need to figure out how to get one because no way will they stay that cheap. A few years ago when BB's were $80k, I thought the same, no way they stay that cheap. Now they're double that and climbing. Next up are the TR's and 512TR's. I bid $500 short on a TR 3 years ago, came close to getting a 512TR a couple of months later and ended up with a 355 GTB 6 speed, which I also think are going to go up, though not significantly for another 10 years. I'd expect TR's to start the climb in the next 5.

As for other makes, 89 turbo trans am, late '90's and early 2000's formula firehawks (very low production and the fastest of that generation car), maybe the last of the dohc ZR1's. I also think the Esprit twin turbos will be sought after, though not on the level of some of the others.

21. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
  22. MonoSpecchio

MonoSpecchio Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2006
    SoCal in the IE
    #22 MonoSpecchio, May 8, 2014
    Last edited: May 8, 2014
    E36 M3 has surpassed the value of an equivalent condition E30 M3? I have a hard time believing that unless you're talking about an E36 Evolution. They made a ton of E36 M3s, and the US model had a non-M engine. I have an '88 M3 so I'm biased. :D

Nice longhood Porsche 911s ('65-73) were $10,000-20K cars when I got into them about 10 years ago, now they're easily 5 times that. I owned a *lot* of them in various condition but sold them off over the past 5 years (for what I thought was silly money...oh to have my '67 911S coupe back) to the point where I only have one left. It's a 1 owner '66 911 coupe in slate gray and red interior with 235,000 miles and I'm holding on to that one.

I bought a nice low mile original '76 Porsche 930 about three years ago just before they started appreciating. These are over $100,000 for an average one now, and I plan to sell mine soon.

I bought my all 911s, TR, and M3 to enjoy. Yes, I predicted that they would be future classics, and if they appreciate, great, but I'm not counting my chickens with the TR. The TR's styling is so polarizing and dated looking that I wonder if it will ever get the recognition it deserves. But *I* think it's gorgeous ever since the day I saw it on a magazine cover, and it's such a thrill to drive. The $$$ gain is nice but driving is the fun part.

Future classics currently under-appreciated that I plan to aquire over the next few years:

1. Acura NSX
    2. Integra Type R
    3. 1988-93 Ford Mustang Saleen special editions (SA-10, SSC, etc)
    4. DeLorean
    5. Buick Grand National/GNX

23. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

#23 Bradwilliams, May 8, 2014
    Last edited: May 8, 2014

Production numbers for E36 M3 is way lower than you may think. Especially compared to the later years. You really didn't see that many of them when they were new. Plus a ton of them were tracked to death and/or wrecked. If you hop on autrader there are only 126 for sale. And by the time you eliminate the convertibles, automatics, and the four doors you're down to 33. I wouldn't call that a plentiful supply, especially since almost all of them aren't clean cars.

Cars for Sale: 1999 BMW M3 Coupe in Astoria, NY 11105: Coupe Details - 288790590 - AutoTrader.com

Estoril with 3k on the clock. Asking price 50k

Cars for Sale: 1999 BMW M3 Coupe in Cincinnati, OH 45241: Coupe Details - 362366342 - AutoTrader.com

Black 99 with low mileage, asking price 42k

Pre-Owned E36 M3 for sale

And a bunch more. They are climbing, and my guess will be 100k cars someday. Best M3 ever, period

24. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Passed on a nice '82 Porsche 930 for $20k at a dealer. I was 2 months out of college ('96) and didn't think I could afford it, even though I knew I would be priced out of the market eventually. Certainly seems to be the case.

A couple of years later a co-worker and his brother were going to sell their aging father's one-owner LS6 Chevelle, $12k. Still kick myself because I knew the price of that thing would go insane someday, but like always I talked myself out that I couldn't swing after just getting married. That car today is probably $50k for a rolling heap and $100k+ for a nice one.

25. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

#25 Bradwilliams, May 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You have to wonder where the next stop is for the Testarossa. It isn't going to be 100k. Been there done that. It has to be higher this time. I attached a fun little ad from a 1990 road and track issue. Could 300k be the next step in the appreciation curve? It can't take that much longer. I'd say less than 10 years. I think they'll reach the promise land of 5-600k someday. :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login