Lights on....Gauge problem | FerrariChat

Lights on....Gauge problem

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by ang308, May 30, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ang308

ang308 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 17, 2004
    Stamford, CT
    Full Name:
    Billy
    After months of trying to figure out where a short was that was blowing out my fuse for the instrument cluster I believe I found the culprit. An exposed connection going to the front marker light. Since I found that exposed connection my fuse hasn't popped. But now I have a different problem. As soon as I turn on the lights the temp gauge goes up like 50 degrees. Is this normal? I don't for the life of me ever recall that happening or maybe I just never paid any attention. Is there something causing this? As soon as I turn off lights it drops down again. Actually if I put parking lights on only it will go up about 25 degrees. When I put the headlights on it goes up to 50 degrees. Also the rear defroster light lights up dimly but lit. Thanks in advance

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #2 Steve Magnusson, May 30, 2014
    Last edited: May 30, 2014
    If you are talking about a TR, most likely a bad ground connection (or swage) in the 15-pin instrument pod connector in the dash (the coolant temp gauge and the rear window heated warning light share a ground connection there) or the 9-pin connector where the ground connection to the 15-pin connector originates or at the wiper motor where the ground to the 9-pin connector originates. Good hunting!

Does the oil pressure gauge needle also shift when you turn on the lights?

3. ang308

ang308 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 17, 2004
    Stamford, CT
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Sorry about that. Yes it is an 89 tr. so out comes the dash again? This short drove me crazy for like 2 years. Just kept on driving with no instrument lights. Will take out dash and check again. Thank steve

4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    as Steve already has written:

I´m also sure it is a ground problem.

so happy hunting :)

5. meandmyredcorvette

meandmyredcorvette Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2014
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Just got my TR and have similar problem. Lights work but dash lights do not work. Where is the fuse located and can I go to any automotive store to replace it?

Thanks!

6. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I think there are two fuses.....the first culprit is near the center of the top in the fuse box.. #13 comes to mind.

7. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Rheostat turned down or corroded? Try turning it clockwise/anti-clockwise a few times to clean the contacts

8. meandmyredcorvette

meandmyredcorvette Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2014
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I tried but nothing. It moves smoothly. I am hoping it is just a fuse at this point.