"SuperBoxer" for sale | FerrariChat

"SuperBoxer" for sale

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by LightGuy, Jun 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
  2. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

certainly quite a car...not for everyone and certainly not for the purist.

but...quite an impressive machine!!!

3. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Looks great.

4. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I really have a problem with people describing their cars as the NICEST OR BEST IN THE WORLD. It really bug me when I read this.

Sure this car is very nice and high quality. But did he ever looked at ALL the BBs in the world?
    Does he know everybody's taste?

That tells me a lot about the owner!

5. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    this car belonged to an fchatter, who documented this build out on the site a few years ago. pretty cool

6. 412monzaindy

412monzaindy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Full Name:
    PBI
    I am gong to ask more for mine and it isn't the best.

7. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    This is the car with the carbon fibre wheel wells.
    Yes, an extensive history of the resto is chronicled here on fchat.

8. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day David,

Indeed, a few threads on chassis 49311 ...

It is best to do a search on the chassis number, as this is one method and usually the fastest to find any threads on a particular car ... well Boxers and 400 series anyway, as I have been documenting these models via the chassis number here on F-chat.

Cheers,

Sam

9. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    That.is a very cool car.

10. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

I thought your car has been sale proof at $325k?

you are going up on the price now??

11. Miura4life

Miura4life Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 26, 2014
    Hi,

How are you doing I couldn't help but noticed you are selling your 512 BB is it a carb car?? how many miles, color scheme and I see you price point is 325 k usd or canadian??

12. fast&faster

fast&faster Karting
    BANNED

Jun 8, 2014
    Northern Ca
    Full Name:
    Stephen Mark
    Don't feel alone in your Disgust Claude, I too share your aversion & disdain.

Monolithic speak is for incumbent politicians & the completely oblivious car seller.

13. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Like everything but the wheels.

14. wlanast

wlanast Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 9, 2007
    Santa Ana,California
    Full Name:
    William
    It seems the owner is being painted with the same brush as the seller (who I am pretty sure are not the same)
    Either way, the market will speak to the value. The passion and $ the owner invested in the car is impressive.
    I certainly understand the polarizing effect a car like that has, I just hope we offer comments that are frank and polite.

15. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Car is for someone who wants to drive a great car. Maybe not everyone’s taste, but it is in fabulous condition and was an incredibly meticulous restoration, which was documented here by it’s passionate owner back then.

After being in advertising for many years I really don't care if someone wants to use superlatives, it’s an ad not a moral and/or character test.

16. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I simply does not fit any definition of the word "Restoration" I am familiar with.

Like it or not, language does matter.

Modification, Customization, many words fit but please do not bastardize the word restoration.

17. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Could not agree more.

18. SFchallenge

SFchallenge F1 World Champ

Jun 28, 2004
    Sgp, KL, HK & London
    Full Name:
    Jon Wijaya
    Must say the suspension bits look really good & this should be a nice driving machine with all those customised parts.

19. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Brian, literal meaning is not always adheared to in writing. Having grown up with a mother who was a college english major, I'm way past past the point of listening to someone correct my english :). And just to add to the lesson, you are not speaking of a language, you are speaking of a word. Words make up a language and we are using English in this example. If we were to use Russian, it may not have the identical translation. So in essence language does matter, but not the way you stated it, you were wrong in your use of the word language.

Sorry for the idiotic waste of bandwith, but it is to demonstrate how much of a waste of time it is to look to correct eachother on a nonissue only to find out we are wrong in what we write. When we look to constatntly go adrift in this site is when I lose interest in being here. I thought it was a fun site, atleast when I joined in 2001 it was, filled with passionate car guys, many who worked on their cars, mostly about Ferrari, now it just gets more and more like a reality show, lots of wrong info and too many fights.

20. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    I think the current colloquialism is resto-mod.

21. glabbe

glabbe Karting

Jun 18, 2014
    Leonard, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dr. Gary Labbe
    This is all very interesting. There is a 512 BB for sale at the current RM auction in London. It is a highly modified 512 and it appears by the auction estimate the modifications will reduce the purchase price. Paul Newman, the mechanic not the actor, has stated that it would cost a fortune to bring it back to original specification. I am torn because I am looking for a 512 BB, but is this car really still a 512 BB? Sorry to divert the discussion, but I think it ties into what is being discussed here. What does anyone think of this car and think of my consideration of a possible purchase of the car? I value the input from this forum.

1977 Ferrari 512 BB | London 2014 | RM AUCTIONS

22. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    on this car there are some meaningful modifications and the first 10 years of the car I think this work has been done. so for this time the a normal modification what is not so extreme like koenig sometimes did.
    why always 100 % original ? if there are good modifications I think the car then is much more driveable than without.

if you are an absolut original freak, sure, then you only want to have this original and pay more. but for example a koenig tuned engine with 450 hp cost much more than an original engine. so I really wonder why originals are more expensive soemtimes???

but I enjoy my koenig BB, it is also original - original koenig :) but lucky not a wide body :)

23. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Interesting car. The modifications either appeal to you, or they do not.

Having bought a fully PPI'd a '78 BB which turned out to be a "good" car a few years ago, I can suggest that re plating the hardware under the car, replacing rubber, worn shocks and tires can add up to $30,000; should the engine be tired, it could be another $35-40,000 to rebuild it. My engine looked far more immaculate than the photos provided and ran well, but a squealing bearing under the pulley that drives one of the timing belts meant that it had to come apart. We found enough little things that warranted a "while you are in there" rebuild, probably $40,000 (pistons, valve guides, bearings, etc.), we are not done yet.

The point is that the car may sell anywhere in its estimate. If you must add about $60,000 or so to it to get it mechanically sound and are still ambivalent about the looks, there may be other options available (although my car is proof that they too might need some work).

Regardless, when you one day put it back on the market you will be competing against stock BB sellers; it will be harder to recoup whatever you have spent.

All aside, if sorted I am sure it would be fun to use and would sound great (I could live with all the modifications except the red accents on the wheels).

24. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The car does appeal to me but as a boxer I can tone down a bit at first and enjoy it that way. The air intakes are 78 BB512 competizione parts which is what required the lid to be hinged from the front. I considered doing this to my 84 project car but have yet decided what to do.

I would add the louvers back in the rear lid, change the rim color to silver or something, toss the 5 point harnesses, lose the air intakes on the front bumper but first I would probably be changing the plug wires before it even made it off the transport!

It would be a cool car to have and drive - no question. I can say from experience that the koenig snorkels on my 79 do it for me and anyone thats stood there looking at it. They add a beefiness to the car and you can see them from any angle. They also put the engine induction sound 18" from my head.

25. glabbe

glabbe Karting

Jun 18, 2014
    Leonard, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dr. Gary Labbe
    #25 glabbe, Aug 31, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
    I do like some aspects of the car. What I do not like is:

1. The missing badges on the rear of the car. From looking around it appears as they would costs around $500.

2. The rims. So far it appears as if original rims would costs around $25,000. That seems high. I know if I replaced the current rims with original rims I would have to replace the rear clam shell. I know that would be expensive.

3. The front lower air foil (I apologize if I am incorrectly describing that part). Does anyone have an estimate what that might costs?

4. The steering wheel. I believe the one on the car is from a 348. I think an original steering wheel could be found for under $1,000.

I would also have to pay the auction buyer's fee, any sales and or VAT tax, transportation from London, and any import fees. I sure that would run around $30,000.

Does anyone have any comment on the above estimates? Please let me know if I am being realistic.

I agree that the car would have to have an extensive PPI to ensure it was sound.

BTW, thank you all for your comments. I have gained quite a bit of knowledge from the few posts that were made.