Seriously considering this 1991 TR | FerrariChat

Seriously considering this 1991 TR

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Splitting Atoms, Jun 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Splitting Atoms

Splitting Atoms Formula 3

Sep 18, 2011
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The first Ferrari I began to look for about 3 years ago was a Testarossa. Since then, I have also considered the 360, 355, 348 and 456. I want to drive the car and put at least 5k miles a year on it. Because of that, I have been looking more for a "driver" quality car as opposed to a nearly perfect one.

There is a 1991 TR currently listed on eBay for $39,999 that seems to fit my criteria. The VIN is zffsg17a3m0088977 . Doing a little research, it looks like the car has only had about 3000 miles put on it over the past 8 years or so. As far as issues, it has a cracked windshield and a broken turn switch. As I recall, the windshields are expensive. I know it will need belts and some TLC when I get it.

The seller is "coyotelove" and I remember seeing this sellers name before, but I can't remember where.

Any thoughts?

Ferrari Testarossa Base Coupe 2 Door | eBay

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Ditto on that -- ~10 years ago, cost ~$3K to replace my front windshield and trim. Bit of a fib IMO to call those "later model wheels" as they are aftermarket (not 512TR nor other F), and "no cats" might be another pricey project (especially if the silencer is not cat compatible). Never like an ad with no underbonnet photos, and would bet that that last major was some time ago...

But like your idea, and hope that you find (and drive ;)) a good Driver (at the right price)!

3. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Just an observation - the *starting* price is 39,999 - could raise higher as time goes on. Good luck!

4. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Get the car that stirs your soul.

5. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    What seems strange (read = RED FLAG) to me is that it is claimed to be a "49-state car" (which is presumably intended to mean --- not emissions legal in California). Ad also states the car has no cats, which certainly would be a problem in many states, especially California, right ?

However, the history report says it was last registered in California in July of 2013.....

Something is up as those scenarios do not jive. Unless, the cats were removed sometime between July 2013 and now, either way...... seems fishy ?

6. fast&faster

fast&faster Karting
    BANNED

Jun 8, 2014
    Northern Ca
    Full Name:
    Stephen Mark
    In the ad, the seller mentions that "buyer responsible for smog". In california it is illegal to sell a car that won't pass smog. I would ask the seller if the car is currently registered in California. Also is seller the fourth owner or the third?, as the ad mentions 3 previous owners. 4 possible owners in 33,000.00 miles is that a Red Flag?!

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #7 Rifledriver, Jun 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
    91 was a 49 state car. Over the years there have been many such cars and the 91 TR was one. New they were not eligible to be sold in California because they were not OBD compliant and it is clearly marked on the emission label as such. It has no force of law now.

8. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    My old TR was a 91 and passed Cali smog no problem. If its a dealer then yes they must provide a smog cert on sale.

9. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #9 Rifledriver, Jun 9, 2014

I get your desire to have a good driver quality car but as a TR owner and someone who has serviced them since new I can tell you they can be moneypits on a nightmare scale. One way to avoid that is to get a really good one. It is the rare owner who takes exellent care of the mechanical side of his Ferrari and skimps on cosmetic work. On the other hand the inverse is quite common. Just from the photos this car looks far more like the latter. Also while the ad states the car had a 30 k sevice it does not say when. That was not an oversight.

Based on how the car looks, what it probably needs and what we know it needs you get a car that will be at least as high or higher than several other cleaner more expensive cars advertised on Ebay. Cars that give me reason to think they have had a better life and will be less problematic in the future. I don't see where this car is an attraction in this field of cars alone.

When it comes to used Ferrari's and especially TR's you simply cannot save yourself into a good car. Don't make that mistake. I have seen it destroy many Ferrari ownership dreams.

10. fast&faster

fast&faster Karting
    BANNED

Jun 8, 2014
    Northern Ca
    Full Name:
    Stephen Mark
    Sonara, Ca is located in the foothills & can get quite hot, so imagine a hot summer's day, the Testarossa having it's leg's stretched on a twisty uphill road, air conditioning on, radiators fans on, the engine being taxed, I wonder what condition the fuse panel is in? I would also bet the dash is cracked. Obviously the current owner possibly for financial reasons, didn't do the engine out service, nor fix the cracked windshield & turn signal & ?

My question/s would be. What other maintenance issues has the owner neglected?
    If I was a buyer for a Testarossa, I would RUN from this car!

11. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3

Mar 27, 2013
    Hunt. Bch/Palm Dsrt/Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    I'll toss my 2 cents in the ring as I just passed my one year anniversary of TR ownership a few months back. As Rifledriver states, a TR can rip your wallet, your pants and your underwear off your body before you blink. I knew that because I did my homework before I jumped in. Knowing that, and wanting a driver not a show car, I set out to find the best mechanically sorted one I could find. I can do cosmetics/paint/interior at my own pace. Having owned and restored a number of cars I knew what to look for.

A windsheld is $5,000, then you need someone willing to install a $5,000 windshield. The car in question needs a major as it is time. It it has Cali plates but needs Cali certified cats installed to pass smog. Seller is responsible in Cali. You are looking at $10,000 easily, but more like $15,000 to $20,000 worth of stuff without unknowns.....hoses, motor mounts, clutch. You need to consider that into the ultimate total price. Is it a $60,000 TR?

I would drive to Sonora and look at it....nothing to lose. I rolled the dice and flew to Florida for my TR expecting a so-so car as the owner (who was extremely honest) was down playing the car. It was on a truck that afternoon.

12. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    I called on this car the day it was listed. It's definately is a crap shoot. The owner frankly sounds like a hillbilly. Claims he got the car because a friend was hard up for money. The car has a dash topper clearly visible in the pictures, the RUG that gets stuck on top of the dash to cover cracks. In the first two years of this cars life, it had 24,000 miles put on it in New York State, followed by several more years in Michigan. BOTH states that use salt on the roads. MAYBE it could have driven 24K in two years in New York, without being driven in nasty weather.

According to the owner the crack in the windshield is NOT a small one- one that you can live with while other things get done. So certainly this car seems appealing because of the low price, but things add up fast. I own a 328 that was driven in Pennsylvania for a few years, and compared to my other cars, its rusty underneath and has bubbles in the paint starting to show up. So this has to be factored into the equation too. This car I think REQUIRES an in person inspection.

13. Splitting Atoms

Sep 18, 2011
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Thanks for the feedback. After thinking about the history I was able to find on the net, it appears to me that something happened to the car recently. It was previously listed for sale at 69.9 and later 59.9 by the current owner (same license plate on the car in the pictures) and described as "one of the best" examples. I wonder if the car was vandalized recently. Could have been punks, ex-wife, girlfriends ex-boyfriend, etc. This car has a story. I don't think it's for me.

14. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Eric, its worth a road trip since you are semi local. Both of my TR's suffered from poor advertising when they were for sale. My current one was on Ebay for 6 months.....one sentence description and he used a Polaroid to take the pictures. Turns out the TR was the runt of his 55 car collection. He just put more effort into the sale of his Mclarens etc.

At this price, I would at least call, let him know you are local so he doest waste your time and ask the pointed questions. Sometimes if a seller knows you are 'just around the corner' they give you the straight dope.

I found you a windshield (new) for $850 in Sacramento:

Ferrari Testarossa Windshield Wind Screen | eBay

Cali legal generic cats can be found for sub $200. $3000 for used rims and new rubber. $7000 for a major service. You could be out the door in the low $50's with a driver. Or do the wheels later and put the $$ in reserve.

The street rat crazy white on white 512TR is another car I would consider buying if I was in the market. The lower prices appeal to me because I can turn a wrench and put the savings towards needed maintenance I cannot perform.

I do hope it sells to someone willing to put some time and effort into her.

15. Splitting Atoms

Sep 18, 2011
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Well South Carolina and California are on the same continent :)

I am like you and I have no issues doing just about any work myself. If I was local, I would definitely take a look at it.

One thing I did learn looking for parts for this car is that there are windshields with and without antennas. The windshields with antennas are about $1000 more.

16. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Doh....I read your location as South California......yea pass on it haha.

17. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    The windshield that ferrparts has listed is delaminating in a couple of spots, and it's NOT a small area. ODD because the windshield on the low dollar 512M in Texas is delaminating in the corner also.

I have some houses in the Bay Area that I need to go visit, and am going to TRY and get out of Oregon this week, and go down and check this car out on my way to play landlord.

For this car to even remotely pencil out, it has to be a pretty nice car, besides the obvious flaws. 75 to 80K gets completely sorted out 87-91's at dealers RIGHT NOW.
    I've received copies of just the LAST services on two 20,000 mile TR's, and they spent 17.9K and 24.5K on cars with ten thousand LESS miles than this car has. Fuse boxes, exhaust, parts etc. With this car needing windshield , service, and maybe wheels, it's a 50K car if it sells for 40K. One expensive service later and it's another 80K car. Makes the 80K dealer cars seem reasonable!

18. fast&faster

fast&faster Karting
    BANNED

Jun 8, 2014
    Northern Ca
    Full Name:
    Stephen Mark
    The one for $850.00 has a flaw. ( Some friend your are) Here's an unflawed example ( I'm your Pal) for $1,250.00, not that it matters as you are making a wise decision to. Run Forrest!, RUN!!!

Ferrari Testarossa Windshield Wind Screen | eBay

19. fast&faster

fast&faster Karting
    BANNED

Jun 8, 2014
    Northern Ca
    Full Name:
    Stephen Mark
    #19 fast&faster, Jun 9, 2014
    Just checked the completed listings section on eBay for the car in question

Ferrari Testarossa Base Coupe 2 Door | eBay

Owner states that car had fuse box issues that have been "fixed"....Is a roll of electrical tape a fix?! I also like this observation from the well educated owner "Car has had the problems all Testarossa's have but all issues have been addressed and fixed. I bought it to have fun, and is time to sell it and move onto soHad a buy it now price of $60,000.00",(end of quote) Doesn't the car still have a cracked windshield & busted turn signal? Are those not issues that need to be addressed? Anyone considering that this car is worthy of investment & after corrections would still be "under market valued". Did you also invest in Enron?!

20. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3

Mar 27, 2013
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    I considered a TR with a cracked windshield at MAG in Ohio and got a quote from Ricambi for winshield of almost $5,000. The dealer said they would almost split it with me. Nice car but I passed. BTW--- I also saw "Southern California" as your base...eyes getting old I guess. That is why I said to drive there.

It now has 2 bids...sits at $42,700. I am a big believer in seeing, touching and driving in person. I would NEVER buy a used car sight unseen, but hey, thats me. If a car is in your range, go see it. Heck, Sonora will only 99 degrees today. Good day to see if it overheats.

21. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #21 Melvok, Jun 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yes ... three:

* are you aware of the differences between a Testarossa (TR) and the 512TR?

* there are NO cheap Ferrari's ....

* have you read all info here on PPI, problems and risks ? (Do hope so)

Good Luck
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. fast&faster

fast&faster Karting
    BANNED

Jun 8, 2014
    Northern Ca
    Full Name:
    Stephen Mark
    Hello Jaguar & Thanks, the comment about it being 99 degrees in Sonora made me laugh. Don't worry though as the owner stated that the fuse panel issues have been fixed, oddly the method of fix, had not been mentioned.

23. fast&faster

fast&faster Karting
    BANNED

Jun 8, 2014
    Northern Ca
    Full Name:
    Stephen Mark
    Hello Mel; There are indeed "cheap Ferraris", those would be the one's that are initally bought cheap & then rather quickly become expensive money pits. There is a reason & direct correlation to the car buying addage, "Purchase the best example possible".

24. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    So the car is back on Ebay with a new owner, trying to market the same car with the same problems. The original ad certainly could have been improved on, which it was, but the windshield is still broken and only will "cost" $1500.00 to repair. The dash pad on the car WAS hiding the shrunken leather. So the car is already bid to the original purchase price. Goes to show, clear pictures are worth it. Be interesting to see what it sells for this time. Still needs a service.

25. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3

Mar 27, 2013
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    What am I missing, car has Cali plates, is a Cali car, but is a 49 state car??? Buyer responsible for smog?....Not in California.