Testarossa Market Watch | FerrariChat

Testarossa Market Watch

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by jeff512tr, Jul 1, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jeff512tr

jeff512tr Formula Junior

Apr 21, 2004
    Celebration, FL
    My brother just sold his '86 TR, single mirror, black/black car with 13k miles. Stunning car, multiple platinum wins and several major "Best Of" trophies at Cavallino.

Car sold instantly at $100,000. I hated to see him sell, it was a gorgeous car, but a new baby and a new home dictated it!

The cars are definitely going up in value. With the Countach market now in the stratosphere, the TR's can't be too far behind.

2. chabch

chabch Formula 3

Aug 15, 2010
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    You can definitely feel the TR market sizzling, thank for this data point!

3. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    A very nice 2 owner car 1989 red/tan sold here for 85k quickly as well with an older service on the clock.

4. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3

Mar 27, 2013
    Hunt. Bch/Palm Dsrt/Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    #4 Jaguar 15, Jul 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Congrats to your brother! Love my Blk and Tan '86. A trophy winner in it's younger days, it is still a beautiful and great machine
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Damn good looking, has anyone ever converted a double mirror to a single mirror?

6. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3

Mar 27, 2013
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    Good question? I actually have not looked at the base of the mirrors where it attaches. When I went looking, I wanted a single mirror and I wanted it black, both to differentiate it from the rest. Looking back, I couldn't be happier that I stuck with my plan.

7. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    I keep waiting for these things to sky rocket... should be soon :).

8. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    I also wanted a black on black which you know is kind of rare, so when the 88 popped up, and turbo charged too, I jumped. I still love the look but if converting to flying mirror is feasible it may be something I'll do in the future.

9. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Has anyone ever chopped their right arm off for the hell of it? Just kiddin :D

10. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    Then why don't we see all this reflected in the market guide of a magazine like Cavallino?

11. RQtetto

RQtetto Karting

Aug 15, 2012
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert Quisenberry
    We knew this day would come.

Now it's here:

TESTAROSSA FEVER !

12. Sleestak

Sleestak Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 18, 2014
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
    #12 Sleestak, Jul 3, 2014
    I bought my 91 TR just two weeks ago and it looks like I got in at the perfect time. Thank god that they seller wasn't following the recent trends (See Hemmings Graph below for a 1991 TR).

I believe there a few reasons for the recent enthusiasm. First example: The economy is getting better. For example, if you follow Porsche values, older 911's (1965-1973) have gone through the roof. Seriously. Prices for have almost doubled in the past two years. Incredible. What's incredible is I bought my 72' 911T for $6200 in 1999. Who would have thought it would be worth over 60K today.

The second reason for the recent enthusiasm is drawn up by the movie industry. The TR's have been used as an Icon of the 1980's. Case in point, Wolf of Wall Street.

Finally, the Gen-X kids like myself that stared at a Testy poster in their bedroom now have the chance (and the money) to purchase their childhood dream. If you look in the past, the same thing happen with Muscle Cars back in the 1990's...

13. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    God I hope NOT!

Call me a contrarian, but if the values skyrocket, some owners will be incentivized to sell their cars. Let's face it, I'll bet 99% of us didn't buy the TR as an investment in the first place.

I can't imagine life without my TR, unless someone would give me 350,000 reasons to unload it. Just kidding (smiles)

I think I'd sell my 360 before I parted with the TR.

14. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #14 JoeZaff, Jul 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
    FWIW, I have a testarossa in similar condition to the OP's brother and it is a one owner sold and serviced by the same dealer and mechanic since new. People have made a couple of substantial unsolicited offers for her in the last year, which I have declined. However, it is definitely a sign that the Market is taking a turn in the right direction. I am holding firm on keeping her... After all... What other Ferrari could a man want!!!

After the single mirror Testarossa.... Ferrari should have quit while they were ahead :D

15. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3

Mar 27, 2013
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    "After the single mirror Testarossa.... Ferrari should have quit while they were ahead"

A quote worthy of a T-Shirt!!!!

16. Testarossa Lover

Testarossa Lover F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    This thread is killing me... not because of the value but because I am not able to fall in love with a 360 or 430 and keep looking at buying a TR again. Back still wacked and I continue to take pills daily. I do miss the Bi**h in her stall. DON'T SELL HER at any price. She is priceless and you will regret selling unless you love $$$ more.

17. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

I think you are quite correct.

18. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    #18 ozziindaus, Jul 3, 2014
    Hey, I want one of those T-Shirts :D

19. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3

Mar 27, 2013
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    #19 Jaguar 15, Jul 3, 2014
    Joe, Better get to the Trademark office fast. But make sure it does not insult "redheaded women" first...Obamas trademark office might find it offensiove and revoke it later

20. RQtetto

RQtetto Karting

Aug 15, 2012
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert Quisenberry

Thanks for sharing the graph. Looks like I better adjust my insurance coverage.

Mine is cosmetically flawless, goes like a rocket, has the upgraded Forza diff, proper functioning windows, no electrical gremlins and A/C that freezes your fingers. I wouldn't sell my 4-time Concours winner for a measly $90K right now. The bidding would have to begin at $250K! I could never replace her for the price I paid 2 years ago.

I just hope that parts prices don't inflate accordingly.

21. speed unlimited

BANNED

Jul 5, 2014
    Hello Robert; The pleasure comes in knowing you own a beautiful Testarossa that you drive & enjoy & the car's appreciation is an additional bonus. Difficult to ask for more than that in regards to car/s ownership.

22. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Imagine how much better it would be if you owned a flying mirror :D.

Great point though. My car is similar to yours too, and I have to tell you, I would be hard pressed to sell it for anything less than Dino money. The truth is, and I apologize if this sounds arrogant or obnoxious, but to me, the Testarossa is not a ferrari, it is THE Ferrari.... Bold, brash, beautiful... A once in a generation design...when a testarossa pulls up to a ferrari convention, the other f-cars leak their coolant ;)

I just wish they didn't screw up all that perfection with that dinky second mirror.... Visability is for wimps ;). :D

23. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al

That's hilarious
    May I reuse that line?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Of course! I'm just full of stupid sh$t!

;).

25. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3

Mar 27, 2013
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    "Testarossa---It is THE Ferrari"

Another JoeZaff T-Shirt...