Ferrari testarossa For Sale in Lubbock, TX (BEWARE) | FerrariChat

Ferrari testarossa For Sale in Lubbock, TX (BEWARE)

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by gbi162, Jul 10, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gbi162

gbi162 Rookie

Jul 10, 2014
    Macon, GA
    Full Name:
    Mike Hemstreet
    Hello all, I am a previous owner of a 1990 Red on Tan Ferrari Testarossa with 22k miles, it was a great car and regretably I had to sell it, so been lookin for another one for sale. I found one listed on the internet in Lubbock, Tx for sale. I was told the car won all kinds of exotic car shows and was in excellent condition with no previous body or paint work, I was told everything worked on the car and the AC was just repaired by an authorized AC Technition familiar with Ferrari's. Long story short if anyone sees this 1988 Testarossa for sale in any market in Dallas, Lubbock, Levelland, Austin, Texas area BEWARE. After being assured the car was very very nice, I decided to make the 1400 mile trip to go look at it and buy it. Well after a 19.5 hour drive with my truck, trailer and Teenage son, we arrived and the Testarossa was not the car described to me. It had clearly been repainted from the doors back, huge door ding on the passenger door, Huge Paint chip on the drivers side headlight, that had been touched up with a non matching red color (maybe came from Wal-Mart). On the Engine bonnet (center) was a palm size dent/Depression where someone pushed the bonnet down and dented the panel. On the passenger door there was about a 5 inch Clear paint run, as well as inside the RR quarter panel was another clear run. O-yeah but the car has never had any paint work. WOW The seat belts had been replaced with the 3 point style and the passenger belt once pulled out was frayed and tattered beyond any legal use. The car had a harness bar and aftermarket 5 point harness installed and they looked okay. The tires on the car (I was told had very slight weather checking) well I would not drive the car 50 miles as the cracks in the tires were so bad. (but yet I was told Fly in and drive it home Yeah RIGHT) It also had a TUBI exhaust which was in good condition. There were many other problems with the car I found as well, to include the intake boot for the AIR Box was cracked severly, it had an after market Ford starter solonoid hidden under the air box, the engine area looked as if it had been driven up and down dirt roads. The lights in the rear of the doors didn;t work neither did the engine lights or the AC, O-Yeah but everything works on the car perfectly.

Needless to say after about looking for 5 minutes we left and started the long trip back to GA.

If anyone see's this car car for sale at Auction or on the internet make sure you look and inspect this car in person, 5 minutes of looking at it and you will change you mind. I have the VIN number for the car to verify which car I am talking about. VIN Ends with 75284

It is a 1988 Testarossa red/tan with Aftermarket Center lug BBS style polished wheels and the car has a Harness bar installed with 5 point race seat belts.

Joe and a Roger are trying to sell the car and the car is in Levelland, TX. They talk a good talk, but are not good people.

Car looks good in pictures, but is a real piece in person.

Buyers BEWARE, don;t make the mistake I made.

On another note I am looking for a 87-91 Testarossa in nice condition with no previous damage or paint work, and something with under 50k miles

Just felt like I needed to post this so to prevent this from happening to the next guy.

Thanks
    Mike

2. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Wow, did they apologize or at least acknowledge they lied?

3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    thank you very much Mike for the description.
    so even they may know they lied I think they don´t care about, because every day a stupid one will get up .

for this information is this forum here also very, very good to protect the ignorant before error

4. gbi162

gbi162 Rookie

Jul 10, 2014
    Macon, GA
    Full Name:
    Mike Hemstreet
    No apology, I called them when I got home going back was 21.5 hours and told Joe I was very dissapointed with the description of the car given and the condition of the car once I arrived. All he had to say was that was my opinion, and there was nothing wrong with the car. I called Roger and told him the same thing and he told me to "F--- Off I didn't buy the car so F--- Off". So learning experience for my teenage son on HOW NOT TO ACT AND TREAT PEOPLE. Both these men were in their 60's anyway and real Dishonest.

O-well what are you going to do? KEEP LOOKING.

Mike

5. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    What I don't get about posts like this, is in the age of high-res digital photography why didn't you request a full set of pictures? When I bought my Diablo, I had the guy send me 60 or so photos....then I requested a few others. Then I commissioned a PPI. Then I traveled to see the car.

6. gbi162

gbi162 Rookie

Jul 10, 2014
    Macon, GA
    Full Name:
    Mike Hemstreet
    Oh yeah trust me I had probably 50 pictures sent, well the car looks nice in the pictures, I now know they had to have been photo shopped, and then where the dents/dings and other paint problems were, did not show up with the angles of the pictures I received. I should have had someone close go look at it, but Levelland, TX in literally in the middle of no-where, so that is my fault. My post was to let anyone else know the true condition of this car so they don;t make the mistake I made. The more informed one can be the better, is the way I feel about it.
    Mike

7. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Really sorry to hear about your bad experience. That's a lot of time and diesel fuel burned up and disappointing too, I'm sure!

If you had posted in the Texas section there might have been someone who could go look, but you're right, Levelland is in BFE.

I like to imagine the best in people and wonder if, since they are in the middle of nowhere squared, they simply had no basis for comparison of what a nice Ferrari actually looks like. An untrained eye might think that car looks great. But I don't rule out the possibility that they were being flat out dishonest about the condition.

What harm would there be in posting the pictures that you received? If they really were photoshopped, I promise myself or any number of other members here could spot that easily by looking at the images.

8. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
    Damn that's a real shame, such a long haul too. I've never been burned with a trip that was so far away but have gone to look at some real junk.

I don't fault the OP one but, it's very easy to hide blemishes with photos and editing if you're super shady.

9. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Isnt it funny how drivers' seat bolsters are always *just* out of frame? That's a big red flag to me, that the seller is being very careful how they frame their photos.

10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    James McMurtry sings a song about Levelland...

Sorry for your troubles, any chatter would have maybe taken a look for you.

Long drive to go home empty, for sure.
    Thanks for the heads up to the community..

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I have a guy in Marfa.....how far from there!?

12. Col. Kurtz

Col. Kurtz Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2013
    New England
    Full Name:
    Walter E.
    Great post Mike - nice of you to think of others!

Not sure if such knowledge about specific cars was available when I was searching for a TR, but posts like this would have saved me HEAPS of time and aggravation.

CheerZ
    Vincent

13. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I notice that too. :D

To the OP, I somehow doubt the photoshop theory but it would be interesting to check those pics out. Do you have a link? Could it be posdible that the pics are:

1) same car but old
    2) a different car
    3) taken from angles to disguise the blemishes?

Thanks fir the heads up BTW and hope you find a keeper soon.

14. gbi162

gbi162 Rookie

Jul 10, 2014
    Macon, GA
    Full Name:
    Mike Hemstreet
    The picture of the 90 Testarossa with the Silver ZO6 is my original car that I had to sell. All the other pictures are of the Ferrari in Levelland, TX. These were close up pictures I had requested and on each picture, the problem area's was just out of the picture frame. Now the dent on the Engine Bonnet, well you have to look from the side to see it then it is so obvious. The Seat Bolsters on the Ferrari's and even on Corvette's, well I just go ahead and bet there is wear and no surprise this seat had pretty good wear on it as well. Like I said the pictures make this car look great, so then I question when were the pictures taken?

It's just unfortunate that people are not honest, and just don't care.

Mike

15. gbi162

gbi162 Rookie

Jul 10, 2014
    Macon, GA
    Full Name:
    Mike Hemstreet
  16. gbi162

gbi162 Rookie

Jul 10, 2014
    Macon, GA
    Full Name:
    Mike Hemstreet
  17. gbi162

gbi162 Rookie

Jul 10, 2014
    Macon, GA
    Full Name:
    Mike Hemstreet
  18. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Thanks Mike. There's a pic showing the back of the drivers seat with a bar across it. What is that?

19. gbi162

gbi162 Rookie

Jul 10, 2014
    Macon, GA
    Full Name:
    Mike Hemstreet
    I was told when the seat belts were replaced under recall the Nevada Ferrrari shop installed the harness bar and 5 point restraints. I actually loved this about the car. I am not sure at what point the race belts were installed. When I pulled out the passenger seat belt (3 point belt), it was frayed and tattered and would not effectively work on an accident or if your state has inspections, it would never pass.

20. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    OP sorry to read your experience and thanks for the heads up to the other members. Nothing beats an in person inspection. Im more than willing to take a peek at any TR in the Los Angeles area for a fellow member....gratis. Im sure other members would be more than happy to put eyes on another perspective TR in the future.

21. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Sorry about your experience...been there myself. I once drove 15 hours through horrible winter weather to Missouri to look at an early red/tan TR with just 13k miles on it. When I saw the car it looked like it had been pulled out of a swamp. Dents all over the place, rear valence panel all banged up, worn leather interior....I couldn't believe it! Every time I pointed out an issue the seller said he "never noticed that before". I just shook my head and walked out and drove another 15 hours back home.

Same as you, the seller sent pictures carefully taken from just the right angles to mask all of the issues.

22. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    Sorry to hear of your bad experience. I'm going to put my '89 White/White car on the market soon. around 15k original miles, and it's a very nice driver. You can email me if you are interested in more details.

Testarossa - Z06Nut

23. gbi162

gbi162 Rookie

Jul 10, 2014
    Macon, GA
    Full Name:
    Mike Hemstreet
    Hey that sounds great, If/when I find one I am interested in I will post it here on the forum and see if anyone is close, and like wise if anyone needs help in the Middle GA area I would be glad to take a look.

Thanks
    Mike

24. gbi162

gbi162 Rookie

Jul 10, 2014
    Macon, GA
    Full Name:
    Mike Hemstreet
    DorctorV8, I would be interested in the testarossa. If you could send me some pictures, and information on service history that would be great.
    Mike
    [email protected]

25. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    +1
    Rgds,
    Vincenzo