Waht gasket sealant | FerrariChat

Waht gasket sealant

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by simonc, Jul 16, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
    What is the best gasket sealant for cam covers, water pumps, sumps etc? I see Loctite 518 mentioned a lot but I'm not really sure of the differences between the various versions and what people recommend. I usually use blue non-setting Hylomar but wondered if there are better solutions

Also what about the sealer on cam seals? Clear silicone sealer or something else?

Is there a sort of list of the sealers to use on different parts of the BB engine/gearbox?

2. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3

Mar 27, 2013
    Hunt. Bch/Palm Dsrt/Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    I use Permatex Copper on many things....Check it out for your use....

3. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Get in contact with Testa expert Phil in UK !!

4. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    You are half way there.
    Use the hylomar on the head side of the gasket and a quality silicon on the cover side. Just a very, very thin bead, with a bit of a small glob at the o-ring intersection. Your next removal will pull the cover off from the head without making a mess. The cover will be easy to clean while it is on the bench and won't drop shreads of gasket into the camshaft area while you scrape it clean.

Rgds,
    Vincenzo

5. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
    Good tip Vincenzo! What about around the seals themselves, what should I use on these?

6. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Presumably you mean the o-rings - - just use a bit of oil on them except where the paper gasket meets the o-ring. Use a dab of silicon at the intersection (o-ring meets paper).
    Rgds,
    Vincenzo

7. 365boxer

365boxer Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2004
    La Drova, Spain
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Having had trouble in the past splitting the two half's of the block, I think some people are using super glue !