Why is this TR not sold? | FerrariChat

Why is this TR not sold?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Schulz308, Jul 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Xtreme5053

Xtreme5053 Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 20, 2006
  2. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Love the color! :)

3. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Looks damn good, price might be a tad high for the mileage.

4. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Beautiful color, but is that a cell phone of the past mounted on the right of the center dash? A bit odd, old pictures? Though, period correct ;)

5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I have looked at and driven that car. It needs a ton of work. The history is very sketchy and the car was originally red.

Apparently, that car was the Geneva show car in 92. It is such and early car that one of the gauges in it (I think fuel) is from a earlier testarossa. The car was supposedly repainted sliver by Ferrari themselves for the show circuit, but nobody has been able to confirm this. It's a great paint job who ever did it. Even the paint sticker had been changed to reflect the color change.

The last time I saw the car (about 3 months ago) it was leaking oil, and had really bad tire noise. I also detected what sounded like a transmission issue. The engine needs to come out to be cleaned and the oil leaks taken care of, and obviously the belts. Offer a true 70k for the car and I think he would take it. But plan on spending 20k on fix ups if not a bit more.

6. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    That is the old "Gentry Lane" car that was for sale for a long time. I had a Grigio Metallic Testarossa and on sunny days it was an absolutely stunning color and very classy, but on cloudy days its just plain gray. As tbakowski mentioned...I'd also heard that Ferrari repainted the car for the show circuit. If I had the funds I'd love to get aonther project car....

7. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    Dig the brick phone, keepin' it real. I noticed the build date of 10/91, that makes sense that it was a show car. No ABS or diff fix on this one.
    Hopefully the above info. is helpful to a potential buyer.

8. Gated

Gated Formula 3

Dec 21, 2009
    I can back this up. Checked it out two months ago.

Convoluted story about car doesn't have a service history before 2009 because it was shipped overseas for a few years then back to Canada again.

Hasn't had a major in god knows how long....car is located in Toronto, Canada.

9. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Gorgeous colour, burgundy leather would be fab!

10. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    Wow, that IS the Gentry Lane car. Same VIN. I called/emailed about 4 times on that ride and NEVER got a call back. Gave up. Then heard some issues related to its importation and subsequent service, so I was glad to dodge.

It's improper for me to hint at a 'locational hazard' but I'd not buy a light bulb from a Ft Lauderdale-based owner without a PPi.

The color is fabulous, at least to me. I love black, but have had it with black cars and this is the next moodiest color up the wheel!

11. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Autotrader.com ad is gone but the .ca one is still active. That is a stunning color.

12. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Yes it is indeed the gentry lane car. I also know who originally imported it. I have inspected this car quite a few times, and I'm sure a few other shops have as well. It is a stunning car in person, but she needs to go to a good home for some tlc.

13. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkdmDzyGFYw]1992 Ferrari 512TR Gentry Lane Toronto - YouTube[/ame]