Still having starter issues!! | FerrariChat

Still having starter issues!!

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by bensonae, Jul 25, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bensonae

bensonae Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2013
    Tokyo, Japan
    Full Name:
    Alex Benson
    Ok so my original Bosch unit became temperamental a year ago on my 1992 512TR so I replaced it with one from ferrari starters.com. For a while it was fine but I am writing this from a pit stop as she won't start up. I got off the highway after driving about an hour and a half. Car is hot as us the weather here in Japan but it is not so ridiculous. What else could this be? Quite annoying sitting here hoping she cools off and starts soon. The starter feels quite hot to the touch and I'm using a wet towel to cook her and have hit it to see if the solenoid maybe will come unstuck
    Thanks
    Alex

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    check the ground from batterie to the engine block
    same problem I had with my BB and it was a ground problem, but only when warm

3. tvu

tvu Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Trieu
    Sorry to hear of your trouble. It's pretty frustrating when you hop in and already to go, and nothing. Then the usual troubleshooting of opening the hood to let it cool down, towel, or tapping the solenoid to get it going. Also depending on your location, you have a lot folks looking over finding it all too amusing.

It looks like you have done most of the troubleshooting stuff. There are differing opinions on installing a relay. I forget the pros and cons. Maybe this thread can be a refresher.

4. bensonae

bensonae Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2013
    Tokyo, Japan
    Full Name:
    Alex Benson
    Where is the ground on the 512tr? Could the ferrari starter one just be a complete POS?

5. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Yes.. I would have kept the original and changed the solonoid..

R

6. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3

Mar 27, 2013
    Hunt. Bch/Palm Dsrt/Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    You probably got a Chinese re-wired POS. I always keep the old original parts just in case.

7. bensonae

bensonae Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2013
    Tokyo, Japan
    Full Name:
    Alex Benson
    I still have the original and honestly I do think it is a POS knock off and frankly I'm not pleased

8. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    push start it.......

9. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    It's the same sort of starter as any other , you can give current with a srewdriver .....

10. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    That is a possible failure mode, but IMO you first need to determine if it's an upstream electrical problem or an electrical/mechanical problem with the solenoid itself (and, since you've had the same symptom with two different starter assemblies, the probability for the former increases). If you measure the voltage on the white wire connected to terminal 50 on the starter solenoid (while it is still connected to terminal 50) during the no-start symptom:

If the voltage goes to a reasonable value, say more that ~8V, but the solenoid does not engage = something wrong with the solenoid (either electrical or mechanical)

If the voltage is an unreasonable value, like just a few volts or less = upstream electrical trouble (and replacing the starter/solenoid is no fix).

Good Hunting!

11. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Once my battery died on my Ferrari while I was waiting to pick up my daughter from school. Once the ground clears, I sent her out to find five boys and tell them to push my car. Starts right up. They had a smile ear to ear.

Don't get stuck, ask for help. And don't buy those F1 things. You can't push those.

12. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    A A A + + + :) ;)

you can push - but nothing will happen

13. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    #13 JIMBO, Jul 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ah, yes, the hot starter woes, I know them well. I have the WAI 512TR Bosch starter solenoid replacement here (supposed to be much better) that I mistakenly bought for my 1994 512TR only to realize I have a Nippon starter. Oops, my bad. It cost me $13.58 plus $12.58 postage. If you want it, I will mail it to Japan for the cost ($13.58) plus postage.

In the interim, get a 6" piece of heavy electrical wire, pull the wire from the solenoid electrical connection, insert your jumper wire into the same connection on the solenoid and touch the other end to the battery (hot) connection on the starter motor (covered by a heavy rubber boot). If the solenoid is good, the engine will fire up (have the key in the "on" position) and you can figure out the problem when you get home. Keep the wire in your glovebox for emergencies.

I had a relay attached to the solenoid that worked perfectly for 10+ years and 20,000+ miles, until one day there was apparently some low voltage leakage in the fuse box into this circuit, causing the solenoid/starter to stay engaged while driving. The result:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. bensonae

bensonae Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2013
    Tokyo, Japan
    Full Name:
    Alex Benson
    I used the wet towel approach someone on here recommended to cool her off and after 20 minutes she fired right up. But still not pleased as I thought I had this fixed. I'll start hunting and Jimbo thanks I mY need to get that solenoid from you but first I have an unused starter I can try even though I suspect it's a chibese knock off as well. Sigh.

15. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I have a heat shield around mine and it still got hot enough to fail one day. (first time ever)
    I just loaded the heat shield with ice for 5 minutes and everything woke up again.

16. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    After my starter got burned up I took the relay off and checked the voltages. I get 12V from the key to the fuse box and variable voltage out of the fuse box to the starter solenoid. There are no relays in this circuit. The problem seems to be in the connectors (surprise) which are not discolored and appear OK. Playing with the connectors (F and I as I recall) usually helps and it fires right up. My problem can happen whether hot or cold.
    Well, this will be an easy fix, I thought. I removed the two white wires from the connectors and fashioned a jumper that connected the two wires, bypassing the fuse box. Perfect. The car started every time, but then I had no AC, wipers, turn signals and a few other useful accessories. It seems the white wire from the key switch to the "I" connector also serves to ground these circuits (? maybe so that they don't draw voltage from the starting circuit when the key is in start position?). Frustrating. I put everything back to stock configuration and the car started perfectly for one month, but is now back to the same problem of intermittent starting. So now I have two thoughts:
    1. Install a push button connected to a relay and connected to the white wire on the "F" connector (position 1, I think) while leaving everything plugged in as it is now, or
    2. splice a wire into the white wire on the "I" connector (from the key switch), take the "F" connector white wire (to the solenoid) out of the connector and hook the two together.

Or how about this - does the Dave Helms gold connector upgrade include new fusebox connectors.

Any advice/opinions would be welcome

17. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #17 Steve Magnusson, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
    Why can't you add a jumper wire to connect the two white wires together, but still also leave them connected to the fuse box?

18. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Hmmmm... I suppose you are right, grasshopper.

19. mjh366

mjh366 Karting

Jul 26, 2007
    Kerrville Texas
    Full Name:
    Mike hoskins
    I had the starting problem with my 88 T/R and installed David Helms @ Scuderia Rampante's gold connector kit for the starter. The plugs are under the expantion tank, easy job and did the trick, I have not had that issue again. His # 303-938-9000.

20. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    Ferraristarters.com was a lot of problem for me.
    After reworking the solenoid on my old original starter I still had problems with hot starts. I had the ground beefed up after but it did not solve the problem.
    I then decided to change the whole starter and tried to do business with ferraristarters.com...It was problem after problem.
    I finally found a new Bosch starter at the AD close to me and since then everything is fine.
    At one point one has to go the OEM way, spend the dollars and go on with his life...
    No more embarassing moments when your red head b*tch do not want to start in front of a lot of people!
    Just my 2 cents...

21. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    Sounds like Ferraristarters.com should be avoided?

22. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    Well, they sent me wrong parts a couple of time and it was difficult to get in touch with them after my Visa was used...But after numerous attempt I finnally got what I wanted...a refund.
    That was some times ago...I don't know if things got better since then.

23. janrbh17

janrbh17 Rookie

May 6, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Jan R B Hansen
    I had the same problem ( slowly getting harder to start when warm, then even when cold + some problems with the speedogauge). In my case the problem was in the fusebox. Pull out everything in the fusebox and check for discolorations + spray with electroclean and put back in ( pull out and put in 2-3 times first to clean the metal).
    Takes 10 minutes.
    Be careful about putting a relay back there! I did it, and it STAYED ENGAGED and almost ruined my starter.

24. bensonae

bensonae Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2013
    Tokyo, Japan
    Full Name:
    Alex Benson
    I have wrapped a starter heat shield around it to see if that helps. It is ugly but not as bad as not being able to start the thing. Will see how this works over the summer.

25. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #25 tf308, Aug 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I wanted to post this here so that this may help others trouble shoot the 512tr starter circuit.

The first pic shows the trigger wire to the starter. When you turn the key, the signal should ultimately come here. If you turn the key and you get nothing, some thing is not connecting from your fusebox to key to the various connectors then finally ending here.