good news for tr owners | FerrariChat

good news for tr owners

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by ross, Aug 10, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
  2. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
  3. alexwagner

alexwagner Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2013
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Alex Wagner
  4. Jezter70

Jezter70 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2013
    Surry (from UK)
    Full Name:
    Jez
    RHD does seem to make a significant difference in most F models ..... rarity of colour probably adds to this cars asking price ....mind you, with at least UK F dealers asking and getting £150,000 for RHD 512TR's, maybe this isn't so out of line, in todays mad market!

5. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    there are several TR's for sale in the US for slightly over 50k

6. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3

Mar 27, 2013
    Hunt. Bch/Palm Dsrt/Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    Fantasy Junction always has high prices, unique and interesting cars......but I hope they get it. They don't deal in junk. I wouldn't take that listing as an indication....Just Fantasy doing what they do best, singling out good examples of great cars and trying to get top dollar. Nothing wrong with that....

7. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    But are they warning potential buyers of the next 50 ?

That's the question ;)

8. calder1

calder1 F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 26, 2006
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Craig
    I actually know of a couple of low mileage private sales now hitting $100k,I've been involved in one if them so don't be surprised if this car brings the asking price.

9. lafluth

lafluth Karting

Jul 2, 2013
    Some say the market in the UK is in a bubble, others that it is ahead of continental Europe (smaller RHD market adjusting prices quicker) -- with the UK economy doing well at the moment. Truth is probably somewhere in between ? I think prices in Europe for TRs are starting to go up

10. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    when 328's are selling for 85k and TR's are selling for 65k its only a matter of time before people realize how significantly underpriced they [Testarossa] are

11. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I think everyone is coming to the realization that only 10,000 people in the entire world will ever own a Testarossa at any one time, EVER ;) ......that's about 1.5 in a million chance.

12. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    uhhhh...I think only about 7700 Testarossa's were built of which I would say at least 5-10% are already gone leaving about 6900-7300...MAX

13. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I meant all Testarossa's, TRs and F's but if we're talking Testarossa only, then you have a 1/1,000,000 chance of currently owning one.

PS there's a bit of tongue in cheek in what I'm saying. ;)

14. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3

Mar 27, 2013
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    OK...Now what are the odds of a person on the street seeing a Testarossa drive by them?

Probability higher getting bit by a shark or hit by lightning since nobody wants to put miles on?

15. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    The odds of a person seeing a Testarossa drive by them is 100%. Can't miss it :D

16. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3

Mar 27, 2013
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    I guess I asked for that one! Good one Sam....

17. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
    And why is this good news for TR owners??? Does an increase in perceived value of your car in the event you sell it make it more enjoyable?? How is that please tell me?? Does it make the Ferrari experience so much better?? Does it make it sound better??

I can tell you it makes absolutely no difference to TR owners who want to use and enjoy their car......In fact for some people it can have the opposite effect. They don't want to drive their car in case they, heaven forbid, put on mileage or prang their car, thus lowering the value of their car........

18. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    Based on my trek last week to the ballpark with a total 2 MPH traffic flow for about 2 miles. Everyone was shouting, thumbs up, running out into the street to take pictures. It put a smile on my face as a recent owner, but was almost embarrassing. I am delighted so many people know our car(s), considering their age. Literally hundreds of people were giving me recognition. Best of all it is was 100* and the temp gauge stayed just under 195*, with the a/c on! :)

19. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    Generally, anything I own, if it goes up in value, I'm not going to cry about it. For those who may be selling (for whatever reason) it's a bonus. For those buying not so much. I got lucky, followed the market for about a year, and tied my car up last December. I bought with equity, not that I am a super savvy shopper, just got lucky due to some circumstances and stumbled upon the ad for my car at Cars.Com, of all places, the only private party party car, amongst a half dozen ragged out dealer cars.
    Id didn't buy her as an investment , I bought her to drive, and admire. Putting miles on has been a bit of a challenge, it's sort of a weekend car and half the weekends it's rained this summer.

20. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Did you get a "Magnum PI" thrown at ya? :D I know exactly what you're talking about. It's that fine line between pride and gloat and somehow difficult to remain humble in such an "in your face" car. You've probably also notice some that go out of their way not to notice you like there's something more interesting to look at over there. :rolleyes:

21. alexwagner

alexwagner Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2013
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Alex Wagner
    Sure it's good news, as it means the EO cambelt services will seem less and less expensive compared to the value of the car!

22. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    No Magnum PI, though I have gotten that one. "Is it real?" is another one I like. And, always, "How much did it cost?", I hate that one. Sigh.
    I think you have to spend some time right here, on this forum, to really understand what the stewardship of these cars is really all about. I don't expect the average person to get it, all they see is $$$ and a pretty red Ferrari when oohing and awing over our cars.

23. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
    Hey no one said you had to cry about it! Of course not. But effectively you are supporting my argument. It makes absolutely no difference to your driving pleasure, which IS what it's all about isn't it, right?
    Of course it's great if you can also maintain the value of your car at the same time and not lose money. However I just feel there is a subset of people who increasingly just want to make it all about increasing "their investment" as if it's some sort of trading commodity like gold or silver or pork bellies. That is not what classic car ownership is or should be about. That's all......

24. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    We are on the same page. Exactly, there are the players who are in it more for the investment value and less for the enthusiast value. Those people seem to increase proportionally to the amount of disposable income(more) a small part of population has.
    There is a lot of money running around out there right now and it is finding a home in collectable cars, for better or worse. This cycle seems to come around every 10-15 years. Next weeks Monterey auction results will be a testament to that, I'll wager a dollar on that. When the bubble bursts, it becomes an enthusiasts market again.