Diablo vs TR | FerrariChat

Diablo vs TR

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by godabitibi, Aug 15, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I drove the Diablo yesterday night and I realized how I really like my TR interior. Diablo interior is very nice when you open the door and look at it. But sit in both cars and drive it and you feel the difference. The TR is really meant to be driven often, user friendly.

In the Diablo you don't see the nose at all, dash feel like you're in a Lumina van and you feel like you're in a bigger and heavier car. Now I feel like the TR has a small a$$.

I love the TR.

2. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    Great input! TR does feel much roomier and comfortable. TR has those blind spots at the sail panels, I imagine the Diablo is worse at the rear view as a whole. Still want to experience the Diablo comparison.

3. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    The Diablo is a great car to drive on the highway. Fun and lot of power. Crazy sound with the actual exhaust. But not user friendly. Even the doors, they look fantastic but not really easy to use. This car is really a toy rather than a real car. But what a toy ;-)

4. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    in about 98 i had an offer to buy flavio briattore's 92 diablo..... sounded like a good opportunity, so i went to see it.

i was appalled. it felt like a poorly built kit car. could not see out of it, engine was balky. interior was like riding in a canoe. hated it, and did not buy it. glad i didnt.

bought the 512tr in 2000 from the main dealer in rome and kept it ever since. miles better.

5. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    And yet, the diablo will increase in price over the Testarossa, as the CT has.

6. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    +512

The Lamborghini mystique evaporated for me when I moved out to California in the '90s and actually got acquainted with the cars. As an investment, maybe. But I'd go with a TR/512 TR to actually drive.

7. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    for all these good reasons I believe Ferrari sold more cars, and that explains the production numbers.

8. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Just like women, the nice blonde with big boobs on high heels might not be the best one to mary. The little good looking brunette that doesn't stand out of the crowd is the one you really need. Sure you can give the blonde a try but on a long term better get the brunette that nodody lust after.

9. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I find the Diablo to be far better than the Testarossa in every way. Love them both, but if only one, the Diablo anyday.

10. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    True answer has to come from someone who lived with both.

Ago

11. 512man

512man Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2014
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Tobbe
    my friends 92 Diablo and mine 92 TR lived the same Lifes...but the Diablo looks like it is falling appart.Ferrari is not the best quality cars in the World,but they are better than the early lambos :)

12. 512man

512man Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2014
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Tobbe
    Perfect explenation :D

13. vonbeeler

vonbeeler Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'm considering both cars now so keep the info coming.
    A 512TR or 99 roadster or 01 6.0

14. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    You want to buy something you can drive and enjoy it almost all of the time? Get the TR. You want to buy something that you eventually cannot afford to drive, but will net you capital gains? Diablo.

15. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Why not one of each!

16. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    #16 Shark01, Aug 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Do not see the downside from the Diablo point of view.....drive it a bunch now, then less as it appreciates.....no different than collector grades of Ferraris......I'm sure Boxer owners are going through this now.

18. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Correction, REDHEAD;)

19. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    No problem ;-) as you wish!

20. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    #20 ttforcefed, Aug 17, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
    I only own and have only driven one diabo, 98 SV. the 98 SV puts a smile on my face every time I look and drive it....it really is an amazing car....I hate to say it, but id take my 98 diablo sv over my 512tr if someone put a gun to my head....and I love the 512tr a lot....

21. GregTe

GregTe Formula Junior

May 3, 2004
    Maine
    I own both. I have a 94 Diablo VT and a 92 512TR. I will tell you that I really like my 512TR but it is in no way in the same league as the Diablo. The Diablo is much more powerful and extremely fun to drive. I have aftermarket exhausts on both and both sound awesome in their own ways, Diablo has more of a roar. The 512 is a little more "daily driver" friendly, mainly because of the conventional doors and the fact that it doesn't draw a crowd everywhere it goes., although the Diablo has power steering and AWD which is nice. Quality? I say they are both good. The Diablo interior is not as comfortable for a long drive but I would say the stitching and fit and finish of the leather is probably better than the Ferrari and the layout more modern. Exterior, both are top notch. As far as cost of maintenance anybody that says the Ferrari is cheaper has no clue to what they are talking about. Lambo does not need expensive belt changes every 5 years and the clutch will last 30k if you know how to drive. I have owned my Diablo 11 years (by far the longest of any car I've ever owned, just can't bring myself to sell it) and have done oil changes yearly and tires once, that's it! The Diablo is the most reliable exotic car I've ever owned.What else can I say? I love both cars, both awesome in their own ways, but if I had to have only one sorry but the TR would go. Oh! One more thing! The shifting…the Ferrari SUCKS! I've owned 6 Testarossa's and now this 512Tr and everyone of them has the same notchey shifting, it really is pathetic that in 9 years of production Ferrari could not improve it. The Diablo shifter works smooth as silk! I could go on forever, they are both great cars in the end.

22. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    that was far more articulate than me and I agree. I also have aftermarket exhausts. the 512tr has a custom made capristo and the diablo has a tubi race from front to back....the diablo sends a piercing chill thru you while the 512tr is more of a symphony....I wish my CGT sounded like my diablo!

23. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

You Diablo sounds better than a carrera GT?!? Please post a video of this diablo pronto. The CGT is the best sounding car I have ever heard. That is a bold statement. Please share video :)

24. DreamCarrera

DreamCarrera Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2006
    S.E. PA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    +1

What exhaust system is on your CGT?

25. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    oem. I find the cgt oem exhaust pedestrian from inside the cabin - its def not amazing. the diablo is amazing inside and out.

I will try and take a vid the next time im around the car