Leather Panels under the Testarossa Hood | FerrariChat

Leather Panels under the Testarossa Hood

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by duh_weasel, Aug 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. duh_weasel

duh_weasel Rookie

Jul 27, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Reece
    Hey guys,

Just got my Testarossa 2 weeks ago - driving it has been a spiritual experience, in the least. (First Ferrari!!!) The sound she made after I sat in traffic for 15 minutes and let her free almost moved me to tears... no joke.

Underneath the hood (on the hood itself) are these three vinyl/leather panels - a very thin material that seems like it has holes in it. One of those panels is actually MISSING on the TR - I was going to see if anyone else had this problem or had any ideas how I could go about fixing it.

Thanks in advance,
    -Reece

2. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #2 msdesignltd, Aug 18, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2014

Think its 4 panels!

I Have done these more than once..
    When built I am sure the hood was off...makes an easy job of adhereing leather to metal..or foam to metal.
    its a little awkward doing it with an open trunk, thats attatched to car
    if you want a quilk fix..remove all leather panels in question..cut a thin corrugated cardboard pattern by tracing the exact shape of leather panel but cut about a half inch smaller all around.
    corrugated lines should run up and down so they curve with hood when layed in.
    Then spray glue 3M spray adhesive to cardboard and lay back on top of clean left side of leather, perfectly centered.
    when dry lay a bead of clear silicone around edges of cardboard with a few dabs throughout center areas as well..re insert panel, squeeze down silicone beads flat and tuck leather edges under cross members.
    Mine came out perfect.

3. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    Just get Mel to sit in there and do it, he seems to fit :)
    Mike, great idea on making the templates.

4. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    PICTURES PLEASE !!!!!!

5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    pictures from mel in the engine room??? :) :) :)

6. duh_weasel

duh_weasel Rookie

Jul 27, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Reece
  7. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Nice pix of a nice F car !

Please show us the items of your question; make photos of it all ... I have no clue yet ... :D

8. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    There is just something wrong about putting a 190 lb. man in the trunk of a testarossa.
    My way alleviates sitting on the air intake box.

no matter how an F car is stored...Foam disintegrates after 25 years..there is a thin layer of foam that is inbetween the metal and the leather..the cardboard replaces that for another 25 years...did you ever see an original foam engine cover that is worth it weight???
    Me no think so..

they are $850.00 to replace..mine is not bad however I want to replace it...anyone used an acceptable replacement yet?

9. duh_weasel

duh_weasel Rookie

Jul 27, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Reece
    #9 duh_weasel, Aug 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #10 Melvok, Aug 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    What is that, Fiat upholstery?

12. dinos

dinos Karting

Jan 6, 2013
    Athens - Greece
    Full Name:
    Dinos
    #12 dinos, Aug 19, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
    The funny part is that the right side panel cost 4 times more than the left side !! euro 120 vs 30 euro !!

I have the same problem with my 512TR ! and I am also looking for solution !

Few days ago I opened my front hood and I noticed traces of foam everywhere !! and it took me some minutes to understand what happened !! ( It was looking as If a tiny bomb ! exploded in my front hood ! )

13. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Re-attached my upper insulation panel last week. I bought 1/4" thick open-cell foam sheet from eBay, cut to shape, bonded to vinyl insulation with 3M carpet adhesive, then bonded to hood. Carefully tucked excess vinyl under hood braces and/or trim pieces with a putty knife (blade wrapped with painters tape to protect vinyl).

I did this with the hood removed--with two people supporting hood, remove four 6mm (10mm socket) nuts & washers, remove hood. Set it on a padded surface, and be VERY GENTLE with it, even if fully supported. If you have ever waxed the center of your hood and heard the aluminum buckle, you'll understand.

I marked the hood/hinge relationship by laying painters tape against one side and the top of the hood hinge before removal. Or you could use a scribe to mark. That said the hood was "blacked out" while installed--you may find the black paint demarkation around the hinges to be a suitable guide for reinstallation.

14. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Perfect and simple solution Tim !