TACH PROBLEMS 87 T/R agian | FerrariChat

TACH PROBLEMS 87 T/R agian

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by jamesrobba, Aug 19, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jamesrobba

jamesrobba Karting

Dec 5, 2005
    north downey, calif.
    Full Name:
    james joseph robba
    #1 jamesrobba, Aug 19, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
    HELLO GUYS, i have been reading all the threads on tach problems -also what steve magnusson has put out there - but nothing on my problem . few questions - when you turn the key on my tach meter will read - under 1000 - start the car it will read 1000 - but when you rev the car it's like the tach is reading half way - it will not go up to the correct rpm -like it's slow -when driving it not reading correctly -around half of the rpm - reading all the threads it seems like the tach will need to come out - i have pulled the sensor out - cleaned it - didn't see anything wrong - cleaned all the connectors - no help - any idea's please . thank you very much jim

2. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Hi Jim, my Tach was working perfectly for about 30 minutes then it would rev slow and then settle on 1,000 RPM. I took it to Hollywood Speedometer. They replaced the internal electronics for $200 including a set of instrument bulbs while I had the cluster out.

I had no Idea the tach had internal electronics, not complicated but they get old and die. The good news is that it was a cheap/easy fix.

3. jamesrobba

jamesrobba Karting

Dec 5, 2005
    north downey, calif.
    Full Name:
    james joseph robba
    taking it out this coming week end - talked to kevin at north hollywood - he will bench check the speedometer and the tach - ps. these speedometer speeding unit are worth gold prices - did not want to buy a used one - but that is all they have ! thank you very much to all that has help! be cool jim