512TR won't start: can this be just a battery issue? | FerrariChat

512TR won't start: can this be just a battery issue?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by alexwagner, Aug 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alexwagner

alexwagner Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2013
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Alex Wagner
    Hi guys,

I collected my 512TR day before yesterday and drove 1000 Km in one day, from Monaco to Paris. Absolutely SENSATIONAL car - I'll tell you more soon, when I have a little more time.

Yesterday, I moved the car to wash it. Although I found that I had left the car radio on all night, it started just fine.

Then, after 6 hours of cleaning, I went to start it up.

The engine cranked over slowly, but too slowly to start, and only cranked for a couple of seconds. No enough to start. It was like the battery charge was too low. Seeing as I'd left the radio on all night, and then started the car a couple of times without driving, I wasn't that surprised.

I removed the battery (a fairly difficult job, especially with a very basic wrench) and put it to charge overnight.

I put the battery back in (again, hard work) and went to start the car.

There was enough juice to operate the electrics (the radio turned on fine) but the engine would not turn over at all. There was just a "click" from the starter, but no cranking.

It's as if the battery is dead.

Very frustrating as it's a beautiful sunny sunday and I wanted to drive the 512TR to show my family. :-(

What is curious is that during the 1000 Km drive 2 days ago, all was fine. I would have thought a battery would progressively start displaying warning signs (slower and slower cranking) before suddenly dying.

I don't know how old the battery is.

I guess I'll buy a new battery tomorow when the shops open, but I'm not sure that's the issue. I guess I should try however, before having the car towed.

I'll also buy a better n°10 wrench (for tight spaces!) and some battery connector lube.

Fingers crossed.

Any other ideas? Thanks.

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    charge the battery about 24 hours. then test it ( you may put pressure form about 300 ampere on for about 10 seconds. if the voltage then still is more than 10 volts the battery is ok, otherwise change it )
    but it often happen that a battery will be dead from now to then, not totally dead but not enough power to start the engine.

if battery is ok then you have a voltage leakage somewhere what you have to check then. mostly it is a ground problem

3. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    +1 exactly what you should do. Any idea how old the battery is...4yrs is a realistic life.

4. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    replace battery and leave a trickle charger on it...problem solved

5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    or not? :) :)

problem solved as long as the battery is not empty

6. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Use the car regularly and you will have no battery problems. ;-)

BTW a radio shouldn't be connected directly to the battery but on the accessory circuit. = no dead battery.

7. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Yes, also the 512 will keep battery life long time if you turn the little battery control wheel under hood to off

F40 is opposite to 512 in this for so,e wierd reason :)

8. bazzis

bazzis Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Sarratt, Herts
    believe it or not ! I've had my 512TR since 1999 and the battery is still fine ! I do turn off the battery when not using the car....

9. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    All good advice above, I'm sure you'll work it out. If you cleaned your car for 6 hrs. you probably had at least one if not both doors open for quite some time--if so you had the 7-bulb interior light on as well as the two (or four) lights on the door (red on the back, white underneath) illuminated. That will take its toll on a fully charged battery. Your radio on the night before didn't help. As mentioned above, re-wire that to get power from a switched circuit.

Best of luck with your new car.

10. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I always like to check the water level on my batteries. Charging a battery that is low on water wont do much. (This is assuming you dont have a sealed battery.)

11. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    dead battery wont take a charge. swap out battery and use the switch to turn it off when you dont use the car and the new battery will last you for many years.

12. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    look at the started post a few weeks back.

I posted a pic of the connector in the engine bay that sees water. Willing to bet its your problem.

Just trace the signal wire from the starter to the 9 pin harness connector just infront of the driverside airbox.

Cant stress this enough to you guys. (I was also told that the connector was updated for the 512M....wonder why?)

13. alexwagner

Aug 31, 2013
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Alex Wagner
    sounds interesting but can't find your post on that...

14. alexwagner

Aug 31, 2013
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Alex Wagner
    Well, I swapped to a new battery today: problem solved!

It seems the old battery was on its last legs and didn't like being totally discharged as it refused to hold charge after overnight charging.

So happy to hear that classic 12-cylinder startup once again: WHIRRRRRRRRRR.... WHOOOOMPH!

I've now detailed the car and am waiting for some good weather to go play my orchestral engine. :)