First sign of clutch trouble? | FerrariChat

First sign of clutch trouble?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by rpissm, Aug 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Hey again everyone!

Just got back from a drive and I noticed that my clutch pedal seems to need to come out further before the clutch 'bites'. I tried a trick I've read elsewhere on the forum about going up to 5th and the punching the throttle to see if the clutch slips and the good news is that I didn't notice any slippage. Just thought I'd ask for your thoughts. In my understanding, hydraulic clutches should 'bite' at the same point, regardless of wear (unless wear is an issue of course)?

Thanks, as always!

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    the more the clutch goes down ( so the thinner the plates will get ) the more the pedal goes to the back, so to the driver before the clutch will work. the automatic hydraulic adjustment is not working for the whole way, only a little bit

3. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    In my experience, the clutch is worn out when you accelerate HARD in 3rd and 4th gears and you hear the slip when you add power. I also agree with Turbo Joe.....

HTH

Phil

4. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Ditto and I have ben through more than 1

5. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Cool thanks for the info. I just tested it in 5th but I'll try a lower gear.

6. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    Yes, full beans in second, third and fourth :D

Phil

7. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Cool, so next question - how could I tell if the throwout bearing is going bad? Now that I think about it, probably two or three weeks ago I was backing out of my driveway, let out the clutch a bit to get rolling. Nothing happened at the regular "bite" point for probably a second, and then I heard a "chunk!" and then the clutch engaged. Do throwout bearings 'stick'?

8. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    It usually stars with a rumbling or whining noise as you depress or release the clutch.

HTH

P

9. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Cool thanks for the info. Also, should I do the "drive hard in 3rd or 4th" after the car / clutch has warmed up, or would it be ok to test while it's "cold". The reason I ask this is that, if the clutch is going bad, I'd like to stay close to my house. :)

10. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Which now begs the question, get a brand new clutch, or a rebuilt one ?

Mine is 15 yrs old, and have about 25-30% left ..... Are rebuilt ones worthy?

11. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    So, just got back from a short drive. I listened for throwout bearing grinding. None detected. I floored the gas from a rolling start (don't want to destroy my diff! ;)), and no slippage detected. In an aside, I've never really slammed the gas in my 8 months of ownership.... Whoooooooa! :)

All of this is good, yes, BUT that aforementioned "chunk" sound happened again when I was just about to start backing it out of my driveway. I let off the clutch to the beginning of the bite point; nothing happened. Then the "chunk" and the clutch grabbed! Does that sound like a linkage problem?

Thanks!

12. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    The "linkage is all hydraulic so the problem sounds like it could be any or all of the following:
    1) the shaft that the clutch sits on may need a re-grease (IMO the most likely)
    2) the clutch may need bleeding (unlikely)
    3) the seals on the clutch actuator may need changing (unlikely if you are not loosing fluid from the fluid tank).

HTH

Phil

13. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thanks for the tips, Phil!