TR/512 value thread | FerrariChat

TR/512 value thread

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by johnhoughtaling, Aug 29, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnhoughtaling

johnhoughtaling Formula 3

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    With the Countach and Boxers finally rising in value, the TR/512/M are starting to rise.

I saw a 512 the other day, and it really knocked me out. Incredibly exotic and I think Ferrari will never make another mid engine V12. IMHO the 512 is the most beautiful variant. Its super exotic like the Countach and with a new generation getting Into their buying power, I will be surprised if these classics do not soon rise above the price of new top model Ferraris.

I figured its a time for a value thread

2. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    There are a few already , just look down the page :)

3. ztarum

ztarum Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    South Jersey, USA
    Yeah, there aren't many threads here or on the 308/328 forum that aren't about value these days.

I do agree with the 512 being awesome :)

4. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #4 msdesignltd, Aug 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The 512 TR's are beautiful.

6. LP400S

LP400S Formula 3

May 18, 2002
    West Coast
    Thanks for starting the thread and I agree a very iconic car and super exotic. There is no mistaking it for another Ferrari. When driving a Boxer have had many people mistake it for a 308 but with the TR/512/M there is no mistake. I think people are already really starting to appreciate these cars.

7. diSCUDsted

diSCUDsted Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2010
    ILLinois
    Currently considering one for myself. Anyone care to give me a quick lowdown on what year(s) and things in particular to look for? Or if you can direct me to a specific site or link to learn more.
    Thanks!

8. alexwagner

alexwagner Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2013
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Alex Wagner
    Agreed.

Part of the reason I bought a 512 TR this month is because I was very scared that this car was about to rise sharply in price, and that this was my last chance to own an old-school Ferrari 12-cylinder berlinetta.

Had I thought prices were stable, I would have preferred to wait a year to have a better financial situation, but that seemed very risky to me (I had just gone through that experience with the 365 GT 2+2, waiting too long and getting priced out of the market, and it hurts!).

I would be very surprised if these cars don't rise in the short-to-medium term, with the M leading (the existing price difference with the TR will get bigger I think), then the TR. The Testarossa would presumably rise more gently due to much greater volume.

The more modern Ferraris, while accomplished and desirable, don't really ignite the fire of passion in me.

9. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    there is a rise in value. and one side benefit of that is that people will start to maintain them better, and thus create a larger pool of good cars in the future....which will slightly weigh down the value rise, but its ok.

step in on a 512tr while they are cheap. best value of the era imo.

10. johnhoughtaling

johnhoughtaling Formula 3

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    Anyone have examples of recent sales? Not asking about ratty cars but rather very good ones.

I know of a very good concourse level TR that sold for $100k, and very good concourse 512 with 15k that sold for 170k.

11. alexwagner

Aug 31, 2013
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Alex Wagner
    I have done a detailed study of the current 512 European market:
    The 512 TR varies from 50K€ to 95K€ for "normal mileage" cars.
    The 512 M seems to be about 40K€ more.
    Not sure about the Testarossa.

I'm not sure about the US market, and I exclude the UK RHD market too, which is much higher: about £150K for a nice 512 TR, although it's hard to do stats as it's a small market (with no M's for sale at all in the last months).

Essentially, they hadn't moved much in a decade, and now appear to be rising.

Good cars sell very fast and it's definitely a seller's market.

12. lafluth

lafluth Karting

Jul 2, 2013
    Very good point, there is a good possibility Ferrari will never make another mid engine v12. This is definitely part of the attraction of 512TRs. Nothing like it.
    Having looked at these in Europe for the past few months, I can also confirm values are going up. In the UK RHD market, as Alex points out, it went North very quickly. In continental Europe it is happening too, but much more slowly as economic conditions are still mixed and the stock of LHD cars is larger.
    Seems the US is following a similar trend.

13. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
  14. DreamCarrera

DreamCarrera Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2006
    S.E. PA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #14 DreamCarrera, Aug 30, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
    Currently watching Auctions America auto auction live on NBCSN and two Testarossas crossed the block today.

1.) A red 1987 Testarrosa with approx 24,000 miles - SOLD AT $81,000 - Inc luggage & recent EO serv
    2.) A dark blue 1989 Testarossa with under 2,000 miles - SOLD AT $147,500 - Inc luggage but not sure if they gave details on recent service

For what it's worth, Steve Matchett(F1 announcer and former F1 mechanic) is doing the commentating for the auction and spoke very highly of the Testarossas and said he believes they are on the brink of an increase in value.

15. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    I think carfax history will play out heavily for the Testarossa. The bb doesn't have that issue, but the Testarossa will have pricing all over the place because of it. It's good to see at least prices has stabilized for the Testarossa in the last 12 months.
    It is the last rear 12 that is remotely affordable for the hobbist.

16. alexwagner

Aug 31, 2013
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Alex Wagner
    I could be wrong, but to me the rise of the 512 TR/M has a strong smell of inevitability.

Here is the line of reasoning that caused me to quickly bag a 512 before getting priced out of the market:

- It's a Ferrari, one of the 3 marques (with Porsche and Mercedes) that have a HAGI price index, and without doubt the most iconic and sought-after marque of all.

- It's a 2-seater 12-cylinder flagship berlinetta

- Last mid-engined 12-cylinder Ferrari (F40/50/Enzo/LF excepted, but they're in another price dimension)

- Last of the flat-12 lineage

- In 512TR/M form, many would argue (as I would) that the Ferrari flat-12 has possibly the best engine note of any road car, Ferrari or otherwise. Certainly top-5. This is an important emotional driver for many buyers.

- It's the last old-school 12-cyldinder Ferrari, before they became more much practical modern-looking propositions. But as collectors cars, practicality takes a back seat to passion.

- Pure unadulterated old-school driver experience (no driver aids, not even power steering)

- Truly iconic styling and presence that left an indelible impression on a whole generation (including me)

- The boys who dreamt of these cars are today becoming men of means, looking to realize their childhood dreams

- The strong image was perhaps a bit wide-boy, crass and vulgar for a long time, but with the passage of time is now becoming more graceful, classical and architectural.

- Flamboyant styling always pays with collector cars, as they move from being means of transport to forms of automotive art (for this reason, and even considering all other factors than styling to be equal, a flamboyant 512TR/M would rise faster than the much more sober and useable 550/575)

- The 90's is a motoring era that is coming strongly into vogue, especially high-end limited production GT cars (the 1995 McLaren F1 is the most prominent example and, although the F1 is special for many reasons, other 90's flagship cars have already skyrocketed: 993 GT2, 993 Turbo S, 964/993 RS, Ferrari F40, F50, Countach, and Diablo...). It's not surprising, as the 90's was the era that saw sports cars that were both very accomplished (unlike most cas of previous decades) and yet very pure, simple, and bereft of complex electronics (that will be impossible to repair one day!) and driver aids. There will never be cars like these ever again.

- The M is very rare and exclusive, with only 501 built, and the 512TR is quite rare too (2261 built) compared to the Testarossa (7700 built) and compared to the V8 cars.

- The price of the 512 has risen very little over the last decade and therefore might be ripe for an upwards price correction. I would also expect the existing price difference (about 30K€) between TR and M to widen with time.

- The 512 is reliable and dependable (once the fuse box and diff casing are updated!)

- Only downside is fairly "involved" maintenance, with the big engine-out invoice every 5 years. This turns off some buyers I'm sure, but as prices rise this will become less and less painful relative to the price of the car.

That's my take, for what it's worth.

17. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
    F40 has a V8! ;)

18. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3

Mar 27, 2013
    Hunt. Bch/Palm Dsrt/Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    My 2 cents...I think it is sad that so many focus on guessing the future value of these cars instead of knowing the present value and absolute pleasure of knowing, you are one of the few in the world driving one of the most iconic cars in the world.

On that note....I think I'll put some miles on the machine and take a drive down PCH to Newport Beach.

19. alexwagner

Aug 31, 2013
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Alex Wagner
    Agreed.

As I explained, I bought because I did not want to be priced out of the market. But if I'm wrong in my prediction and the market collapses for these kinds of classic sports cars, then I will be the first to celebrate!

20. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Can someone please keep posting auction results with the basic stats (year, color, miles and price). There are just too many auctions to keep track of hahah.

21. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    I was never a "vintage car guy" what with ownership of several modern sports/ supercars and enjoying the driving dynamics and reliability and then....I saw one... a Tetsarossa parked next to my Scuderia at a C&C event and I noticed it was not such a big car after all.
    I then looked at the car in a totally different way and realized it was never meant to be a sports car but a Grand Touring car in the classic sense.
    I then drove one and it all made sense....huge presence, excellent drive and yes that tingly feeling.
    SOLD!

22. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Back in 2007 when my Testarossa was in for service , it was between a 360 and a 550 .... I couldn't even see the Testarossa in the middle , both of those cars over powered it in size of height and length. It was the first time I noticed the Testarossa was a smaller car than it looks.
    Behind the wheel, it's massive presence and the lovely 48 valves , cams and exhaust note belting out at over 6,000 rpm reminded me of why I love this car.

23. chabch

chabch Formula 3

Aug 15, 2010
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    I think the Testarossa also brought never seen before, or sometimes even since, design elements. The square seats inside for example are absolutely unique and beautiful.

24. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    I was surprised to see this number. But, I think we've all known the TR has been undervalued for quite a long time, and it's day is coming. Plus, that color combination was rare and beautiful.

25. Testarossa Lover

Testarossa Lover F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    I sure miss mine and had nothing to do with the market going up. She was one hot Bi**h and made me feel like 21 every time I walked to my garage.