87 t/r gearbox service speedometer | FerrariChat

87 t/r gearbox service speedometer

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by jamesrobba, Aug 30, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jamesrobba

jamesrobba Karting

Dec 5, 2005
    north downey, calif.
    Full Name:
    james joseph robba
    hello guys again - question please - just changed the speedometer spending unit - lost around 4 quarts - i have the car jacked up only in the back with jack stands under it - so the back is up so i can get under the car - the front is not jacked up - removed c port and d port to service the trans - installed 4 quarts into d port - but nothing out of c port yet - how important is it to have the car level - will i need to jack the front - i don't want to over service the trans - i just don't want to service the trans until it come out of the c port with the back jacked up - correct ! thanks - i will not sleep tonight until i do it correct .thank you jim - ps - i got a new speedometer sending unit from gt auto parts - it's for a 355 - but comes with plug to hook it up to testarossa - very cool - around 200 dollars

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    the car has to be "even?" so not jacked up only front or rear.
    I open the plug ( pos. no.18 at table 29 parts catalog ) and the oil level inspection plug ( pos. no.23 at table 30 ) and fill slowly gearbox oil in where I removed plug no. 18. then I wait until the oil drain from the hole where I removed plug no. 23. then I stopp filling and wait until nearly no more oil will drain. put in the plugs again and enjoy driving - and sleep well :)

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The gearbox fluid level at port c (i.e., fluid just starting to drain out there with plug c removed = correct oil volume inside gearbox) is only valid with the coachwork at the attitude of normal operation/"level" as romano indicated. If you don't have the equipment to raise both ends simultaneously, one option would be to: overfill a little, lower the rear of the car back to normal, verify some does come out open port c into a drain pan and wait until the flow stops, and then either reinstall plug c with the car sitting normally on the ground, or reraise the rear of the coachwork and put plug c back in.

4. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    The perfect answer to this situation.

P

5. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Any pics please ?? Jacked-up back ...

6. jamesrobba

jamesrobba Karting

Dec 5, 2005
    north downey, calif.
    Full Name:
    james joseph robba
    steve it worked great thank you - changed the speedometer sending unit - got it from gt auto parts - talk to bill or dave - they have all the testarossa units on back order - but got me a 355 one which is the same - but had to change the plug end - they gave me the terminals - works like new- shipping all together - 200 dollars brand new- thanks guys for all your help - service was great - dropped the car off jacks - oil came out of c port - until it stopped running installed c port - cleaned up -that was the big job - and tested it - works like new - i can sleep tonight like a baby - but with testarossa's there is always something waiting for me to fix - but i love it - best holiday to all - you guys are great and steve i can't say enough words for your help and what i read - i mean that - you are the man - you make it very cool to work on my testarossa for i feel i have the top guy right there to ask questions which is great to have . thank you very very much steve m and all you guys - take care - we need you guys !