Delivery pics 365bb 17947 | FerrariChat

Delivery pics 365bb 17947

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by RufMD, Sep 1, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RufMD

RufMD F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 31, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jas
    #1 RufMD, Sep 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    In May I acquired 365bb #17947 in a deal through Bill Noon at Symbolic, which included a major service on arrival from Japan. Symbolic went above and beyond and in addition to the belts, serviced the gear box synchros, steering rack and brake hoses/fittings. The car was already cosmetically very tight since it was very few kms since a two year resto per Mike Sheehan prior to the sale to a Japanese museum.
    It arrived today and I took a few pics along with #33625 512bb which I acquired in February.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    damn! nice pair!

3. RufMD

RufMD F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 31, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jas
    As mentioned previously on another thread, I found a period radio (voxson) and finally have a 365bb for an original exhaust I picked up a few months ago when I started looking. The car was originally Nero Tropicale and was repainted to a high standard in Rosso Corsa with black boxer trim during the Sheehan complete restoration. I've contemplated going back to original colour but having seen it in the flesh I'm going to mull that over a bit more...the paint is beautiful.

I'll attach some pics of the work that was recently completed and also of some underside detail.

4. RufMD

RufMD F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 31, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jas
    #5 RufMD, Sep 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Service pics from Symbolic. In addition to the engine belt service, the carbs were rebuilt and finely set, as well as all hoses and fittings, brake hoses and steering rack rebuild (most issues were related to low mileage since the resto and dry gaskets. Very pleased with the base cosmetics underside. The tires in these pics were discarded for fresh ones.

5. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Jas, didnt you already owned a Boxer a few years ago?

Beautiful BaBies you have there. I really love the 365 BBs.

6. RufMD

RufMD F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 31, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jas
    Hi Andrew ! I hope dad, you and the entire family are well. You're correct, I had 30401 512bb up until about 3 yrs ago when I traded it towards the 599GTO. It needed a full resto, dash/interior/suspension/bushings/engine/brakes and I simply didn't have the inclination to go through with it back then.

7. RufMD

RufMD F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 31, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jas
    :) Good caption !

8. wlanast

wlanast Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 9, 2007
    Santa Ana,California
    Full Name:
    William
    Jas, thanks for sharing your new BB!
    Tough choice on the color change back to original. Good news is you have a great car to enjoy while you decide. How do you like the Larini exhaust sounds?
    Enjoy in good health and congrats!
    W

9. deichenb

deichenb Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Full Name:
    David
    One plus to returning to Nero T is that it would be easy to reverse whatever is left of the federalization (bumper bars/supports/door beams) while the car is apart and stripped for paint. IIRC 17947 was imported and converted for MA Porsche/Mercedes dealer Herb Chambers a few years after production. Congrats on the purchase!

10. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Beautiful car. Enjoy it for many, many years. Your neighbors have a very enviable view.

11. petearron

petearron Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 1, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    jeff
    I think Boxers are in the top 5 Ferrari road cars, beautiful car.

12. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Wonderful! Enjoy the differences, they really are brothers but not twins. Fantastic pair.

Onno

13. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Some info that Scott S. ("Boxer" on Ferrari Life) gathered up to 2006 on this car. You probably have it already, but just in case.

SN 17947
    1977, per LCM files, may bave been imported by Luigi Chinetti Motors for Herb Chambers, Glastonbury, CT. Car was black. Extensive work done at LCM to bring car into compliance. Chambers took delivery of the car 7/21/77.
    1980, April, listed in FOCUSA roster by Daniel Vece, Jr., New Haven, CT.
    1983, offered by Vece. Black with black interior. USA legal by Amerispec. Borrani wire wheels. Excellent original condition. 10,000 km.
    1995, as per notes in file, cam timing is off. Bent valves. Motor turns over by hand. Stored by a jerk in a barn, dirt floor. Alfa next to it. Straight body, Amerispec conversion. Ugly spoilers, bad EPA conversion. Dash needs to be redone. Passenger seta has lots of wear. Interior mildewed. Shows 14,500 k. Headliner good. Transmission seems ok. Wheels are 4301 Borranis. Rear bonnet latch broken. No spare, no jack, no manual. Cosmetically a '5'. Calipers frozen.
    1995, June, bought by Mick & Colleen Sheehan (Mike Sheehan's Twins) for $45,000.
    1997, 15-18 January, for sale in FML by Mike Sheehan, Newport Beach, CA. Just completed a frame up no expense spared restoration on a car that had only 14,500 km. New rosso corsa paint with new Connolly black leather. All suspension replated. Engine, gearbox, and suspension all rebuilt. Brakes rebuilt and replated. New XWXs. Excellent "unobtanium" three-tip exhaust. Only test miles since completed. Pay for the restoration, get the car for free! A bargain at $115,000. Regular size and quarter page ad.
    1997, 15 March- 26 April, for sale in FML by Mike Sheehan, Newport Beach, CA. Just completed a frame up no expense spared restoration on a car that had only 14,500 km. New rosso corsa paint with new Connolly black leather. All suspension replated. Engine, gearbox, and suspension all rebuilt. Brakes rebuilt and replated. New XWXs. Excellent "unobtanium" three-tip exhaust. Only test miles since completed. Pay for the restoration, get the car for free! Was 115,000 too high? How about $95,000

14. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Jas,

Enjoy your Boxers in excellent health! All you need now is a BBi and you would have a full set :)

Cheers,

Sam

15. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    but a BB LM is then still missing :( :)

16. RufMD

RufMD F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 31, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jas
    When I was looking into 365bb's I came across your threads on your 365bb. Really enjoyed those and they were great insight into the car. Thank you !

You're right about the differences. I'm not sure what the weight difference is between the 365bb and the 512bb/bbi but the first time I lifted the rear cowling it felt light as a feather, same as the front.

I'll put some miles on it today and look forward to penning some comparisons with the 512bb.

17. RufMD

RufMD F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 31, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jas
    Thanks Sam !

18. RufMD

RufMD F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 31, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jas
    Thanks ! I'll let you know on the larini today :) Work got in the way yesterday (pesky job always interfering....)

19. RufMD

RufMD F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 31, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jas
    Special thanks to Paul Newman ! I sent him a few pics of the car and rebuild early on. I felt better about running them past an expert set of eyes and appreciate his input. The Boxer community is fortunate to benefit from his experience, much appreciated.

20. wlanast

wlanast Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 9, 2007
    Santa Ana,California
    Full Name:
    William
    Newman, he's the man!

Can't wait to hear what you think of the sound!

21. quarryman

quarryman Karting

Dec 30, 2011
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Great looking car Jas, congrats on your new 365. Red over black does look great and I took my one back to original colour and am very happy with that decision.

Enjoy first :)

Paul

22. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Glad to help Jas any way I can and congrats! There's no such thing as having too many boxers! :)