On the prowl.. 512 TR | FerrariChat

On the prowl.. 512 TR

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by diSCUDsted, Sep 5, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. diSCUDsted

diSCUDsted Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2010
    ILLinois
    Currently selling my 458 Italia. The TR in general was a childhood dream car, so I'm guessing now is as good a time as ever.

Just got word of one that just came in locally to me. 93 512 TR. 2 owner car 18,000 miles. Complete service and belts to be done by dealer before sale.

Could you gentlemen that are well versed in this era / model please share with me what a fair and reasonable price would be for this car.

Feel free to share any and everything I should know or look for. And even direct me where to research myself if needed. So far I've learned just a bit in the past couple weeks, but far from knowing enough to make a sound and unclouded judgement or decision on my own.
    All and any advise at all would be much appreciated.

TIA :)

2. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Is the VIN late enough to have the upgraded stronger gearbox?

3. Sales@CNCMOTORS

Sales@CNCMOTORS Formula 3

Aug 10, 2011
    Upland, California
    Full Name:
    Ira
    Our 512 TR

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/boxers-tr-m/460191-fs-cnc-motors-1992-512-tr-red-over-tan.html

4. alexwagner

alexwagner Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2013
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Alex Wagner
    All 93 cars are pre-gearbox-update.

The update was during the 94 run.

1. All cars above motor number 31108 have the heavier prop shaft from clutch to main transmission.
    2. All cars with transmissions 1513 and above have the forged differential casing and the upgraded differential ring, pinion, dowels, and bolts.

If you're looking for a common color (say red on tan) then you might try and find a post-update 94 car. I don't think they command much more money. There are not many 94 cars though, so if you want a car fast, you might consider a pre-update car. Just budget a number of thousands for a diff update next time the engine is out.

5. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    Good luck on the buy. My unbiased valuation based on description is <$120k. I assume they are most likely asking around $150k and given current market buzz they will hold on the car to get close to asking until it hits over 90-100 days in inventory.

Off topic comment: Classic car buying tends to be generational and it is good to see and to hear the mounting evidence and momentum from the 430 and 458 crowd that are gravitating to the older 512TR/M...it's truly telling of a cars appeal when more and more current modern era owners start going retro to a particular car or model line.

6. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    Not true. I personally verified a gearbox number >1513 on a 93 512TR. I guess the gearbox could have been changed sometime in its life, but I think that's a remote possibliity.

7. alexwagner

Aug 31, 2013
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Alex Wagner
    Interesting. I stand corrected.

8. lafluth

lafluth Karting

Jul 2, 2013
    That's right. Cut-off date supposed to be October but my car is from Aug 93 and it has the upgraded gearbox and ABS. Worth checking the actual gearbox number.

9. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    #9 sherrillt, Sep 6, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2014

Posted on Flife back on 2/19 by Rifledriver regarding trying to use VINs to determine housings. The most interesting part of the post is his statement: "I have TR512 86815 here right now. It has a May 91 production date, engine #11 and trans #43 yet it is a 93 model year car. This particular car is equipped as a 93 but was built 2 years earlier."

10. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    OP Red Tan carries the highest premium. Without eyes on the car.....$125,000 seems to be a fair price given the current market. Bonus......you can be part of the engine out service since its included in the sale. This is all assuming everything else checks out with no inop items. Might want to have an independent PPI.

Guys....do the 512's have the fuse box issues like the TR's?

11. alexwagner

Aug 31, 2013
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Alex Wagner
    Yes

12. MM355

MM355 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2008
    GMT + 3
    I am seeing a lot of posts lately people switching from 458 and new Fcars to 512/F355

13. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    this is because I think those people like to have something "sporty" to drive, where they can "feel" the car and they know that they drive the car and not the car drive them.

also wait 20 years: so now new F cars because of the electronics inside nobody can repair anymore

14. MM355

MM355 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2008
    GMT + 3
    Agreed, my concern are the TFT screen inside.

I had a 2014 FF and sold it, my only ferrari right now is a F512M which I am very happy with.

15. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    I have heard this before and I can assure you the market always addresses a need and this claim by everyone who makes it is weak and flawed on so many levels.

There is not an enthusiast product out that is not supported by someone; basically if there is passion or money to be made a solution will come. Look at any classic car or electronic item (tube radio, synclavier (70s-80s ultimate synthesizer), 8 track players, laser Disc players, even floppy disk drives, etc). Every electronics and mechanical part can be remanufactured there is no lost technology like building a pyramid involved here. Many TR parts are have long been discontinued, but yet workaround and parts are fabricated or improved and the same holds true for any car in the future. If you think something on the market is sophisticated now, just think of how cutting edge a 80s Motorola DynaTac "brick" cell phone, the last decade Razr, or first gen iPod was back then (all repairable)

16. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    While I tend to agree with you, I cant help but imagine the frustration in tracking down the electrical shorts in the future.

Take our TR...it is the most fundamental. The only ECU is the motoronic and CAT Ecu.

But now as you go into the future you have....traction, nav, suspension, abs, etc etc

All with their little harness connectors. I just hope Im wrong.

17. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    you are right sherrillt,
    but I don´t mean the hardware could get problems, I mean the software.

even today there are problems with the software in the cars not even 5 years old.

18. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    Software is just as easy or easier IMO - just think of what we have now - you can have every big box 80s arcade game including Dragons Lair on a smart phone and anyone who was into gaming back then marveled at the advanced technology and the reduction of boards/cards it took for some cutting edge games....just think of the size of those cards.

In the future there will easily be hacks and simple bypasses for what I am sure will be perceived as unsophisticated systems. Bottom line what I am saying is what we think of as complex today will be very simplistic in the very near future. Ever hear the comment that there is more processing power in a smart phone than the computers it took to put a man on the moon?

19. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    While I would love to agree with you........Why hasnt someone whipped up a decent Cat ECU replacement yet? I tried to get 3 different guys to do it. I even ripped one apart and exposed all the guts. No takers.

There are multiple 'super cars' I would love to own but dont have the $$ or patience to work on the multiple brains the cars have.

20. diSCUDsted

diSCUDsted Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2010
    ILLinois
    Thanks guys! Keep it coming... still looking for the "right" one. Someone mentioned Red w/ Tan bringing the highest premium. I would think just the opposite due to it being the most produced. Wouldn't Black, White, Silver, Yellow, etc bring a higher premium in this case?

21. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

These will be due to start coming down a little in price, not drastically but some after this hard asset bubble lets out its air. good 512trs seem to be in the 130-160k range which is very high. If I were buying one I'd wait a few more years and they will drop back to the 100-110k range. Sucks to have to wait, but it will put 20-30k in your pocket.

22. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #22 msdesignltd, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
    Your Crystal ball seems to have a flaw in it!!!

You must be watching this

http://www.bloomberg.com/video/classic-cars-why-build-your-own-car-M0b64ubPSR2xrq17AIzRRg.html

23. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    +100, we had this same discussion in terms of Diablo ECUs. If 4-5 of us wave $10,000 around, someone will take us up on fixing them. These cottage repair businesses spring up all the time.

24. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    Potentially they lack the talent for a quick turn or they do not see the economy of scale being there yet. If they could do 10+ perhaps it's worth the time and R&D investment for them to work on it (that's where my comment on passion comes in), but for one ECU...no one would pay the price.

I wouldn't call it a premium and prices from what I have seen do not show a difference or a premium (production and availability too low), but in Ferrari land everyone knows the term "resale RED". Red is the Italian racing color (Blue US, Green Brits, etc) and the color people identify the Ferrari name with. The other colors although not as common do not have the same mass appeal of Red and it is reflected in production numbers in new and follow on resales.

25. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    Unless you are an 80's trust fund brat in Miami with a deviated septum! in this case only one color will do.