Anyone rebuild a TR fuel distributor? | FerrariChat

Anyone rebuild a TR fuel distributor?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by rpissm, Sep 6, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I'm gearing up for my winter project. Gonna rebuild my two fuel distributors (aka, fuel metering units) and thought I'd see if anyone had any pointers. the rebuild kit is $75, yet to have them rebuilt, it's at least $1k a pop. Am I missing something? It looks reasonably straightforward to rebuild one. Is this just an example of the TR tax, or is it a ***** to rebuild these things?

Thanks!

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #2 Steve Magnusson, Sep 6, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
    If you are not working with Larry Fletcher at CIS Flow Tech (www.cisflowtech.com) directly, you are just paying extra to a middle man to send them to Larry ;) - really!

The tricky bit is having the calibration set-up to adjust the flows to all be equal (and being meticulously clean, knowing what dimension to adjust the plunger, etc.). Maybe the price has gone up in the few years since they did mine, but it was ~$495 each IIRC.

3. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    +100. Send them to Larry.

4. Otus

Otus Rookie

Jul 23, 2013
    Finland
    Full Name:
    I did the rebuild-project for both distributors at last week. According the great help, everything went well. Not a hard job, if you have all necessary tools.

5. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Any special tools required?

6. Otus

Otus Rookie

Jul 23, 2013
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Not any special. Just dial indicator, tweezers, torx wrenches. And maybe able to use ultrasonic cleaner is helpful.

My another fuel distributor has one broken plastic valve plate, so the engine was running way too much rich on that side. Another side has no problem, but I decide to rebuild both FD:s at same time.

Here you have some pictures during operation. Time consumption was few evening.

Feel free ask more question.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. RQtetto

RQtetto Karting

Aug 15, 2012
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert Quisenberry

Ville, it looks like you know what you're doing. Now where did I leave my ultrasonic cleaner, in the attic? :D

For the rest of us mortals, just box up everything and ship it to Larry Fletcher at CIS Flowtech! The rebuild requires a level of cleanliness and precision not easily achieved in a typical American garage.

I just got mine back from Larry and installed them last weekend. It's like a whole new car, big power increase and much improved throttle response. The FDs can get gummed up after 30 years and I had two injectors that were so clogged even Larry couldn't clean them. Had to get new ones. He checks the EHAs (mine were bad too) and sets everything to factory specs. It's like getting new FDs at a fraction of the cost. Mine cost only $450 each plus $7 per injector. New EHAs cost $210 each. Took about a week and a half total. You won't regret it.

Plus he's a cool guy to talk to and extremely knowledgeable. He is one of the few rebuilders who have the complete blessings of the Bosch factory. Ask him about the time he gave a lecture in Germany to their engineers...

His email is: [email protected]

Rob

8. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Were can you get the CIS rebuild kit?

Regards Peter