Does anybody make a heavy duty F512M gearbox/diff? | FerrariChat

Does anybody make a heavy duty F512M gearbox/diff?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Future328, Sep 9, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Future328

Future328 Rookie

Sep 9, 2014
    SoBe
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Hi there. Name is Thomas, we will be adding an F512M to our stable soon. Outrageous looking and in bright yellow, just like the requests we get. I know the weak link in these cars, if anything is the gearbox/diff. The car will be used for charity events all over the south, where in most cases the kids want to see some burnouts and go for spirited drives. This car will be arriving in a few weeks, and I would like to have the gearbox rebuilt, or replaced before we start using it, along with whatever routine service it will need.

We also have a Euro 328 coming by ship next month, and we currently have a Mustang GT500. Most of our requests are either muscle cars or exotic cars, so we should be covered!

So if anyone has any leads for someone who sells heavy duty gearbox/diff for these cars, or could rebuild ours to be much stronger, please let me know.

Thanks, Thomas.

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    If you are planning burnouts go for a different car.

3. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    ^ Agree from what I was recently looking into, those cars are just too fragile for what you are looking to to with it. Save the burnout rides for the 328...from what I have read they seem to be more durable?

4. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    This. Get a second Mustang. :)

5. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    sell the M to me and locate a convincing replica for the burnout sessions.

6. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    The Testarossa and 512s are long legged and designed for fast hi-speed touring, not for drag strip burnouts. The TR are not the fastest to 100 mph, but above that they are great.

Ago

7. alexwagner

alexwagner Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2013
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Alex Wagner
    The gearbox won't stand for such treatment ; I'd consider another car than a 512.

8. Testarossa Lover

Testarossa Lover F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    Can you share the VIN#?

9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    328 bad idea too. Tears the ring gear off the carrier.

Porsches are no different. I have rebuilt several blown apart from side stepping the clutch.

Mid engine cars are really really lousy choice for doing burn outs. And when people blow them up I take great pleasure in saying "I told you so".

All and all this sounds like a really bad business plan.

10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Please

I want to be able to tell everyone to stay away.

11. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    I would assume a transverse mid engine, not one with the tranny below the engine would be stronger?

Or a 550 Maranello maybe...

12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Read the Mustang and Camaro chat boards sometime. Any car subjected to that breaks and breaks regularly. The difference is those don't cost $10k to repair. I have boxes full of 360 and 550 transmission parts from being driven that way. The muscle cars of the 60's and early 70's had big monstrous gear boxes, differentials and drive shafts to keep them from blowing apart and they had hard skinny little tires. Put big sticky tires on a car with a near 50/50 weight distribution and guess what happens? Steel isn't that much stronger now than in 1970.

13. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    I don't think the OP is looking to do John Force burnouts 24/7. A few burnouts here and there shouldn't hurt anything. I had a 328 for 10,000 miles, did a few burnouts when leaving from a stop over it's time with me, never had an issue. My Z06 has over 100 1/4 mile passes on it, hasn't missed a beat. Now if someones doing 5000 rpm clutch drops all the time it may be different...you make like if someone does two or three burnouts their cars gonna blow up. :)

14. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I agree with all the comments--don't do burnouts in a F512M. In that car you already have the strongest differential and transmission available. Driven properly, your charity riders will get plenty of thrill from the shear acceleration and sound that car makes. Save the burnouts for another car.

15. alexwagner

Aug 31, 2013
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Alex Wagner
    +1

Burnouts are not culturally anticipated of a Ferrari, unlike a US Muscle Car.

There are many other thrills to offer with a Ferrari.

16. DeuceRooster

DeuceRooster Karting

Jun 11, 2005
    Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    Maybe a bright yellow or green Viper would better suit your needs?

17. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    Really??? - Remind me not to buy that 512M!

18. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    thomas,
    if you like to do burnouts with ferrari you may buy my koenig competition.

I never did burnout with this car from starting, but at about 150 km/h you accelerate and with a boost of about 1 bar you have then your burnout on dry streets and the stress to the gearbox and the comonenets are much less than if you make burnout from standing. but in my gearbox there are all shafts made of special material, also some gears. and of course a diff from modena ( australia ) and a driveshaft from robert hayden ( australia ), the crown pinion special made for me form a german manufacturer.

BUT: a F is no muscle car to make show with burnouts. this would be the same as if you like to go tractor pulling with a tank. it would be possible - but very unusual

so better drive this 12 cylinder for how it was designed: long distance travel with speed between 80 km/h and 250 km/h. for this the car makes so much fun. and if you like you may go on a racetrack to give full power to the engine and learn the machine. but you will not be the fastest then but still faster than the most other.

19. Future328

Future328 Rookie

Sep 9, 2014
    SoBe
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Thank you all for the input. Maybe I should have been more clear, but the F512M was not our first choice, but the car is being offered at a extremely low price due to the fact it will be used for charity via someone we helped in the past, we can still pass. Our '11 GT500 was donated by a Ford dealer for example, all we had to do was pay taxes. This has happed with a few of our cars in the past. We get lots of requests from children for "Ferraris", and when given a thrill ride our drivers will usually do a little tire spin as the kids love it. But I guess this car just isn't going to work. We do not have an unlimited budget, so it is not always easy to get what we need, sometimes we have to take what we can get. Is there any Ferrari that you can recommend that may be more durable, and could fit our needs better? We had an owner of an F12 bring it down to a Make a Wish even we had a few months back, he did a few launches with the launch control, and even a powerslide, the kid loved it. But that car is way out of the realm of what we can afford...

Thanks.

20. alexwagner

Aug 31, 2013
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Alex Wagner
    OK.

Well, to easily powerslide a car you need loads of bottom to midrange grunt. So that precludes the V8 Ferraris, which are high-rev screamers.
    The 12-cylinder cars have more grunt, but gearing on the F512M is very long which is not going to help you with spectacular demos and powerslides. And the costs will be prohibitive.
    If you really have to, a high-mileage 550 Maranello would possibly fit the bill, as it's relatively tough and has lots of torque.

BUT I would really encourage you to think again and try another angle: combining spectacle with mechanical sympathy.
    I would speculate that the kid would have loved the F12 even without the brutal launch.
    A kid taken for a fast run in a Ferrari will love, even if the initial launch is gentle.
    Nothing wrong with powerslides as such (in fact, a car sliding is less harmful than a car that grips really strongly, as on slicks for instance).
    Just avoid the shock loadings of dropping the clutch brutally on a reving engine. It is simply not necessary and should be avoided at all costs for obvious economic reasons - especially on a Ferrari (if it's raining, that's different, as the loadings will be much lower).

21. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Future328,

Yea....unfortunately doing burnouts in a 512M will quickly turn it into a parts car unnecessarily.

What is the name of the organization you represent and what are the other cars that your organization uses? What is the Vin# of the 512M from your previous posts. We like to share information about the various flat 12 cars.

There are some really good looking 'tribute' Diablos with V-8's that would fit your bill perfectly and not cost a small fortune to fix.

22. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    #22 AHudson, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
    Alternatively, a Pantera is an unburstable car of far better build quality than the unfamiliar pundits would lead you to believe.

I've had 8, have one I've had for 8 years currently, the rear ends are industrially strong. As a bonus, Pantera parts are 'relatively' reasonable, and the cars are on the upswing.

You can even 'upgrade' the half-shafts to withstand 600 hp, and - though I don't - many Pantera owners have extensive burnout experience.

If you do a burnout in your Ferrari, you are asking for bags of semi-splined shrapnel, a big ass bill, and being unceremoniously kicked out of the Ferrari club.

23. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    This is the first thread I have ever seen about a prospective TR/512 buyer specifically wanting to do burnouts (regular, repeated burnouts at that) with the car when he gets it.

24. Gleggy

Gleggy Formula 3

Sep 22, 2004
    Land of Oz
    Full Name:
    Gleggy
    The F/club down her have put on quite a few Charity events for the Make a Wish Foundation in the past.
    All at a track, with the Lambo club and a few others. A few quick laps at speed for the passengers (sick kids)and parents. The smiles were ear to ear and rewarding for the owner/drivers as well.
    Not a Burnout in sight! All day!
    Nobody I know in the Ferrari club would deliberately subject their mechanicals on any Ferrari with a burnout. I am sorry but I don't understand that mentality.
    These cars are designed to be driven- Fast, over long distance or on a track.
    Circle work to achieve what?? Shred tyres, Diffs, propeller shafts.
    When you have paid to rebuild the gearbox and diff a few times you might change your mind.

25. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    May I suggest a Ford GT?
    Loads of power, bulletproof transaxle. Mine spins the tires just by rolling on full throttle at 80mph. It'll burn them right off the rims from a stand still if you want.