US vs international TR fuel injection systems! | FerrariChat

US vs international TR fuel injection systems!

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by rpissm, Sep 9, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Hey everyone!

Just another question! :) Yes, US cars had cats, European cars didn't. The fuel ECUs are different, yes. But are there differences in the rest of the fuel injection system (fuel distros, injectors, etc?)

Thanks!

2. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Hey Joe,

As far i as I know there are minimal differences if any. Injectors are shared among various cars and I personally know that the cold start injector banjo bolt can be swapped from a VW Fox....I have done it with a $35 savings......on 1 bolt!

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    US, most Swss and Saudi Arabian versions had cats.

The short version is there were 2 different systems used. US cars and late TRs used Bosch KE Jet injection and most early European cars used Bosch K Jet. They look similar but use different major components.

The easiest thing to do is look at the parts books or if you have one available, the shop manual. It shows the differences.

US car had lower compression too.

4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I think the KE jetronic for the US and the european model is the same ( but not sure ! ! ! ).
    only the ECU must be different because of the cats the first european models with KE had not in.
    the ECU bosch number for the non cat KE jetronic system is 0 280 800 222
    does anybody knows the bosch parts number of the US ECU? I think should be the same like the european number with cat?

5. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    Romano I think you may be right in all cases except that I think that there was a difference with the cold start system. Early euro and US ones used a no longer available part.

P

6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    but early EU ones had only a K-jetronic, not a KE-jetronic

what part is no longer available? from bosch you nearly get all

7. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    Without doing more research on parts it is the cold start system. The part on my '87 car is a small unit but the earlier cars had a larger unit that sits on the crankcase.

PM me if you need more details. I can't answer until monday though as I taking my car to Silverstone Ferrari Racing days this weekend.

P