Considering an 88 TR | FerrariChat

Considering an 88 TR

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by MorganWorth, Sep 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MorganWorth

MorganWorth Rookie

Feb 12, 2014
    Hey TR group! Ive been lurking and posting here and there for a bit - I have the opportunity to possibly purchase an 88 one owner TR Prugna/Crema with 11k miles. Car has been sitting in a garage for a while - new fuel pump and clean tank but that's about it - No belt service.

1. What's the belt service cost?
    2. How "rare" is the prugna color?
    3. Any other major costs?

Thanks in advance!

2. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    1. Belt service $6-10K depending on who is doing it, maybe more depending what else they find.
    2. Someone posted a picture of a Prugna TR recently, pretty rare color. Look through the registry here, you won't see many. You may want to check it's vin on the registry list here.
    3. Other major costs- a loaded question. Depends on what you consider major. If you've been lurking you know many will tell you the rear diff needs to be changed to a stronger replacement, this can be done at the same time as the engine out belt service to save a few sheckels in labor, but still $3-4K, you might want to do the clutch at the same time $1,500-3K. Helms fuse box upgrade $1200+. Then there a million little niggly things that may or may not go wrong on the TR.
    I'm a recent owner, so others will chime in with other things to consider. Strongly suggest a PPI prior to purchase. If it's been sitting, you will want to consider a comprehensive fluid flush. Look at the age of the tires, they may look new but be 10 years old.
    Read, read, read and ask questions like this. If you can do some of the maintenance yourself, it can make ownership more affordable and for some more rewarding. :)

3. MorganWorth

MorganWorth Rookie

Feb 12, 2014
    Thanks. I know the car has been neglected for some time. Last I saw it was in 08 and it was covered in dust! Hopefully I can buy it for a low price! These do seem to be "the Ferrari" to buy right now!

4. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Is it a 88 or 88 1/2? 5 lug nuts or one center nut?

5. MorganWorth

MorganWorth Rookie

Feb 12, 2014
    One center nut

6. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    So an early 88. They made the change somewhere in the middle of 1988.

We would love to see some dust covered pictures.

7. MorganWorth

MorganWorth Rookie

Feb 12, 2014
    #7 MorganWorth, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    She's needin' some lovin'!
    I hope that's not a pile of floor dry under the rear bumper?

9. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It's a Testarossa, of course it is. They didn't earn the nick name "Liberian Tanker" for nothing.

10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Okiedude I think gave you a very good summation. And a Prugna/Crema car is a an unusual but IMO very good looking color combination.

Good luck with it if you get it.

11. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Wow, what a find. I can only imagine the love she will need before the first fire.

Pull engine, do belts, fluids etc.

How do you prime the pistons with oil before you hand crank?

Gorgeous color combo. Hope she finds the attention she needs.

12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    You don't. They never get dry.

13. MorganWorth

MorganWorth Rookie

Feb 12, 2014
    #13 MorganWorth, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
    That's what it was like in 11 - I saw it yesterday for the first time since 11 and since then it has had a moderate amount of work...but no belt service and still somewhat dirty. it starts stops and drives.. Leather has some cracking in it and i wonder the process of repairing the seats to new.

14. MorganWorth

MorganWorth Rookie

Feb 12, 2014
    #14 MorganWorth, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. MorganWorth

MorganWorth Rookie

Feb 12, 2014
    Another question - what are the buttons closest to the armrests that have the LED light bars??? I cannot figure that out!

16. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Hi new F friend here ...

Lots of Q's .... but can you please introduce yourself here please ?

And Q's without photo's can not lead to answers ....

And: why a Testarossa and not a 512TR; please mention why your choice was made this way ...

Good luck wich the Testarossa chase ... :)

17. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    Mel- I'm not answering the question for the original poster as to WHY a Testarossa instead of a 512, but I'm incredulous at how the original TR is being ignored by members of this forum, that think the 512TR is the be all and end all of this model Ferrari.

The 1984 through 1991 Testarossa certainly LOOKS like a super car and DRIVES like one. The ordinary person off the street could hardly tell the difference between the early version and the 512TR. With all of the critical posts of the original, it makes people reading this site, think they're an utter POS. But in fact they're a STUNNING looking and driving car. The 512's appear to share quite a few of the same weaknesses of the earlier cars BUT at an almost 100% increase in price. So WHY would someone looking at cars that seem to be selling from a low of 40K to a high of around 85K, want to step up to a car selling for 135K. Is it TWICE as fast, better looking, handle that much better? Or is there just a constant hype about their complete and utter superiority over the earlier cars?

I bought a 15,800 mile 1990 TR in June for 65K, that looks and drives spectacularly. It makes my collection of 328's look like Honda cars in comparison. If I had purchased a 512TR for TWICE that money, it certainly wouldn't give me TWICE the pleasure the lowly, forgotten under-appreciated Testarossa is giving me. So there's people out there that can afford and justify 60 to 75K for just a "mundane" early car, that are simply satisfied with it, and HAPPY to have bought one before they go to the moon in price.

peteficarra likes this.
  18. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I agree totally.

I have no idea why he drives a POS 512 when there are better faster cars available. Why pick a 512?

19. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    All Ferraris

You can download an owners manual here. The controls you ask about open and close interior air ducts for the ventilation system.

20. Rostami6

Rostami6 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2013
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Amir
    I agree with you as well. Most here will not argue that a 512TR is a better car than the Testarossa. After all it was the factory's improved version of the original. One would hope that the newer model would be an improvement over the previous. But that is not the point. If someone argues the superiority of 512 is performance and improvements, he/she could be directed to a few other newer F car models in the same price range of a 512 which will out do it all around. IMO most people who buy a Testarossa or 512 are not making the purchase to have the fastest and most reliable car. There are probably other factors in play. I can't speak for the OP on why he picked the Testarossa. But I can tell you why I picked mine. When I started looking for one, either one of the two were in my price range. At the end the deciding factor was the single mirror! That may sound silly but ever since I saw a picture of the single mirror car in a magazine at 11 years old I knew I had to have one. I would have bought a 512 if it was missing one mirror from the factory but Ferrari did not offer that ;)

21. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Like that color!

22. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004

That's a great post.

23. GregTe

GregTe Formula Junior

May 3, 2004
    Maine
    It's all about production numbers, that is what is driving the prices. 512TRs are rare, Testarossa's are not, it's as simple as that. I agree, the price increase on 512's seems like a bit much, I just may have to part with mine...

24. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Bottom line, regardless of production numbers, the 512 is far and above the older TR. It's so much more of a car, you almost can't compare the 2. That is why the values are higher.

Unfortunately the 512 makes the earlier TR's feel really really old.

25. MorganWorth

MorganWorth Rookie

Feb 12, 2014
    Awesome- thank you.