Clutch T/O bearing | FerrariChat

Clutch T/O bearing

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by lear60man, Sep 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Eurospares......best price out there.......$476ish??

Oh...1990 + TR.

2. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    #2 godabitibi, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
    Best price is Superformance.

Clutch Release Bearing
    Supersedes: 138376, 141700, 126608,
    (Testarossa: All)
    £95.80 = $157.11 US

3. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    Mine from Eurospares was 80 pounds, about a month ago. Same part # as Superformance, probably same supplier. Not in an OEM Ferrari box, white generic box with Eurospares adhesive label on one end with part number hand written. Under the adhesive label the box is printed C.123, Clutch Bearing, Ferrari Testarossa.

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    There are some aftermarket TO bearings out there in white boxes that are too tall and will cause the clutch to have a dramatically shortened life. They are being sold by some of the big name parts distributors.

The only ones I have laid eyes on that are not stupid expensive are not correct.

5. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    Christian, I just went back and looked at Eurospares site, and see what you mean about the "pattern" designation. The one is 75 pounds (pattern) and all the others (non-pattern) are 277 pounds. Yet, they all have the same part #? You may want to inquire via email the difference.

6. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    Brian, do you have an OEM one to measure?
    Claude, was yours in the plain white box, or a yellow F box?

7. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    #7 okiedude, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !

9. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    If Brian says the generic one won't work, that's good enough for me.

I can swallow $500, but $900 is just a waste of money.

10. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    I agree, even though I have the generic sitting here. So then who do we get the OEM from domestically?

11. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Rifledriver,

Is the $500 option from Eurospares or italiancarparts a correct height?

If not, what is the best buy for the correct size bearing?

12. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    #12 godabitibi, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yes mine was in a white generic box. I hope it will not give me any problem. The clutch is working absolutely right.
    I didn't notice any différences when installing it.

Brian, can you please explain a little more in depth what is the problem? If my T/O bearing would have been too thick the slave would have been bottoming out and bell housing harder to sit properly by truing to compress the pressure plate spring?? Everything went in very easy and clutch work perfect.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #13 Rifledriver, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
    With a new clutch it works fine but as the clutch wears the bearing assy backs up to the end and bottoms out. That is the point that with proper parts the bearing starts taking pressure off the clutch and it will start slipping soon. With the incorrect bearing that happens very soon. The design of the bearing and the design of the sleeve prevent just machining one or the other to achieve correct height.

I don't have any of the measurements nor do I know the markings on the box, I just sent it back but it was a plain white box with some numbers printed on it and inside it was wrapped in that brown paper you see bearings wrapped in.

As I said they are being sold by some of the big names in the parts business.

Just be sure the new part measures the same in every way.

This is something Hill needs to make. Some of the products don't really serve a purpose or solve a problem in my opinion but this one would.

14. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Thanks for the explanation Brian I clearly understand it now. I will keep my original T/O bearing until that moment comes.

15. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Im kinda regretting asking the question now hahahaha. Kidding.

Ill fire off an email to Eurospares to make sure their $500 bearing is a factory bearing or at least dimensionally correct.

Blake....I think you and I are going to be the test mules. Ill report back as to what Eurospares says.

16. 512man

512man Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2014
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Tobbe
    Which sparepart company do you guys prefer in europe.
    No bearing question,sorry.

17. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Superformance for me since at least 10 years.

18. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    Brian, I agree, I wish Hill made a TR TOB also. They seem to make them for other F Cars and we are left in the cold. I will order an OEM from somewhere and then take comparative measurements.
    Tobbe-I'm new to this game, I chose Eurospares, mainly because they have really excellent exploded parts diagrams for picking your parts. They seem to be competitive with Superformance price wise, I've checked their site also and looks like they would be good too.

19. 512man

512man Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2014
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Tobbe
    Thanks Blake & Claude,i've been out of the buisness for a long time now and last time i ordered was 15 years ago.So you can say i'm new to the game also.The 360 didn´t make me any trouble at all,just filters and oil that i bought in the lokal store.I've Had the TR for 4 months and also no problems.
    So this is a new start for me,and TR Engine out is coming,so its good to know where to order.I have some Winter plans for the cars in the garage :)

20. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I just confirmed with Claude at Eurospares that the $477 TO bearing is indeed genuine factory, while the $77 unit is aftermarket (or 'pattern' as they call it on their website.)

21. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    Kool, they are going to wonder, I have the same query into them also-LOL! Hope they have two in stock? :)

22. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Do not order before payday you snake!!!!!!!!

lol. I think they drop ship them from somewhere else as they do not say "in stock". Anyway $44 for shipping to California.

Im gonna start the clutch job this weekend and order parts next week. Then Im off to the middle east for a couple of weeks to frolic in the sand. When I get back on the 21st of Oct, I should have everything I need to put it all back together.

23. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    Take lots of pictures. I'm possibly on a similar schedule. We just finally got the BMW E30/LS swap off my small lift, now I can tie up the two post lift with the TR. I try and always keep one lift open.
    Shipping to OK was $44 also. Then I got a bill from UPS for duty ($14.50) about two weeks ago-LOL!
    :)

24. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    So wait, did you guys get the cheap one or the expensive one?

25. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Im going for the factory/expensive/$500ish one. If it comes in a white box and doesnt match exactly my current TO bearing.....Im gonna pop a corpuscle.

Just to recap the three types of T/0 bearings im finding:

1-The 'Pattern' one for $77. This one is 'No Bueno' according to RifleDriver

2-'Factory' according to Eurospares for approx $500. This is going to be the crapshoot.

3-Factory bearing on Ricambi etc for ? (I suspect $900ish). This should be a no brainer.

If im missing a supplier or tier of quality, please speak up.