Slick Shift Gate for 512TR from Ricambi | FerrariChat

Slick Shift Gate for 512TR from Ricambi

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by samlimet, Sep 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. samlimet

samlimet Rookie

Aug 9, 2009
    Sydney Australia
    Hi Guys
    Ive wanted a 512TR since I was 15yrs old...20 years later I've finally achieved that dream and parked a 1993 512TR in my driveway yesterday. I've had Porsches and Corvette's but there is nothing else like that Ferrari magic I've discovered!

It is relatively high mileage at 65000kms (I'm sure some TR's have much more than that though!) and has been well maintained but I must say I am struggling a little with the gearshift, in particular first to second through the dog leg gate.

My mechanic says the shifter is properly aligned. I thought I would ask long time owners who are very skilled with their TR's and may have purchased this product: is there any benefit in buying the slick shift gate to improve the first to second shift? It seems slow and cumbersome, and at times baulks a little. I dont want to force it, but how much effort should I be placing behind the gearstick when shifting up into 2nd if all is well with the car? What would be the perfect level of rpm's to change at to get a smooth, fairly quick shift?

Many thanks for any commentary! Ferrarichat is an awesome resource.
    Peter from Australia

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    so enjoy this flat 12 :)

the 1st into 2nd shifting problem is not unusual when the engine is cold.
    in warm condition you may not have this problem

3. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    1st to 3rd when cold. After a few miles of this a double clutch downshift from 3rd to 2nd usually goes smoothly. After a bit of driving in 2nd it should go 1st- 2nd smoothly from then on.

4. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Also on my car the REDLINE NS oïl made a big difference. Now that the clutch works fine ;-)

5. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I have the slick shift gate and didn't observe any noticeable improvement. The Redline NS (or equivalent) oil made the biggest difference. Proper shifter alignment is critical, as are the two "silent block" (bushings) at the ends of the shift rod. With all the above good, mine readily goes into second when cold. I rev-match if downshifting aggressively but I do it by feel--I couldn't tell you what the actual RPMs are for any downshift. Car has ~71000kms.

Have fun with your new car, post pictures as soon as you can.

6. samlimet

samlimet Rookie

Aug 9, 2009
    Sydney Australia
    John B, turbo-joe, godabitibi and 302Tim thankyou very much for the comments! I will investigate the bushings issue and also try the Redline NS.

Even though I dont have much finesse with the car yet it is still a dream to drive and sounds like nothing else! I'll definitely post some photo's once I give it a good wash.

Cheers! Peter

7. samlimet

samlimet Rookie

Aug 9, 2009
    Sydney Australia
    Just a quick update, took the car to my mechanic and during his driving we noticed that when he was shifting up into 2nd gear, once he had completed the shift the gearstick would actually move down back towards neutral about a centremetre slowly, as if being pushed by an invisible hand, then move a little bit back up towards second gear again on its own. The gearbox was fully warmed up and it did this several times. It rarely stayed at the top of the gate as it should with no movement.

Ofcourse it did not pop out of 2nd gear completely and grind for him like it has done with me..that classic instance of a problem going away or being less severe when the mechanic takes a look at it!

Anyway he believes that the shifter adjustment is slightly out but overall still OK as all other gears are fine; the problem is probably with the 2nd gear detents. Has anyone here had trouble with their TR gearbox like this recently? My TR's gearbox was rebuilt 10 years ago, ominously for 2nd gear being destroyed!

Thanks again for any help/shared experiences

Sam

8. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    Exactly the same with me Claude, the oil made a big difference and I can now change from 1st to 2nd from cold start :)

Phil

9. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #9 Melvok, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
    Congrats on the new 512TR !

Some remarks... :) ... mine has already 86.000 kms so it is not too much for yours !

For comunication amongst each other ... : TR stands for Testarossa (which you do not have) so a 512TR is called a 512TR ... just semantics ...

Last small sentence of your posting struck me.... " My TR's gearbox was rebuilt 10 years ago, ominously for 2nd gear being destroyed! "

What info do you have on the gearbox (gb) rebuild ? Year 1993 you said ...... did you have a look here? DO !

A second gear ? Nothing else ? Any bills/invoices ? Who performed this work ?

10. samlimet

samlimet Rookie

Aug 9, 2009
    Sydney Australia
    Hi Melvok

Ive just finished reading your marathon repair journey with your TR...tragic but at the same time inspiring stuff that you stood by the car, rescued it and are now enjoying it to the full...Bravo! I knew about the potential basic problems but the threads you have pointed out to me are real eye openers, many thanks!

My 93 512TR's gearbox was rebuilt 10 years ago after 2nd gear was completely broken, it was a thorough overhaul with the bearings replaced, diff side bearings replaced, 2nd gear drive gear and 2nd gear driven gear replaced, 4th gear inner race, 5th gear inner race and all adjusted and assembled and the clutch also overhauled. 10 years of wear and tear on, it seems it needs more attention, with 2nd gear popping out or not even being able to be selected in the first place, leaving me revving in neutral with that awful grinding metal on metal impact sound.

This happens about 10% of the time but that is unacceptable and observing the movement of the gearstick in 2nd gear (when it actually stays in 2nd) is a real worry, and this is with a fully warmed up gearbox. Naturally the warranty for the work is long expired, but I do have the receipts for the work and the shop is respected.

I've only owned it for a week but unfortunately very soon I will have to have the engine and gearbox taken out of the car (which is disappointing as the major service was only done last year) to see what is happening with the gearbox internals. Hopefully I will not need new gears! But atleast with the help of my mechanic, this forum and very knowledgeable people like yourself we can also get my car properly "dialed in" and safe to enjoy!

Thanks again for the replies and I will keep the forum updated on how this gearbox problem is solved for future owners.

11. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Hi Sam, thanx for the credits :D

Did you see all my posted threads ? Look here for all ...

The gearbox (diff) can be inspected in the car imo but easier is outside the engine compartiment.

I strongly advise you to replace the diff at the same time ... better now for a very reasonable parts price than later for full labour extra again ...

Hope the inspection doesn't give more faults, mine did ... and it was ... my diff.

But keep us posted with tekst and pics, many followers can benefit from also your expriences.

GOOD LUCK !