monspecchio collectability | FerrariChat

monspecchio collectability

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by redferrarispyder, Sep 27, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. redferrarispyder

redferrarispyder Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2007
    obviously in the whole testarossa family the original 390hp testarossa is the least valuable following up the TR 512 and the most valuable of course the M…
    but are the very first single mirror bolt wheel cars commanding a cult premium some of the UK cars are asking big prices… doesn't mean they will get them . followed by a trough again for later testarossas… What do some of the experts thinK?

2. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    819 cars produced from 84-86 ( from what I recall) ..... And that single mirror is so unique , it's breath taking.

It sure is purdy up close and personal.

3. RedFlyer512TR

RedFlyer512TR Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Full Name:
    Timothy
    The single mirror sticking out conspicuously just screams Ferrari!

4. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    In terms of collectibility, the testarossa family currently goes :512m, 512tr and then single mirror. This is based on the production numbers and unique desirability for each model.

Auction prices and private Sales I know of support my position, however, as with most Ferraris, the condition and mileage are usually the biggest determiners of price.

5. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Thats it??? You gotta be f*ckin kidding me.. LOL.. Oh Joe... You so disappoint me.. As soon as I saw that you responded in this thread I was sure I was gonna read a sermon (dont bust my balls if I mis-spell).. Oh Monospeccio.. Monospecchio this.. Monospecchio that.. Holy Moley.. Two sentences.. NO.. Come on Joe.. Make it right.. Give us what us subordinant dual mirror car owners deserve.. lol.. I'm waiting.. You better make it good.. You know I do come on here to get my fill of aggravation.. lol.. HEY EVERYBODY... JOE ZAFF IS GETTIN SOFT..

R

ps.. ever consider changing your profile name to Mr.Monospecchio?

6. RedFlyer512TR

RedFlyer512TR Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Full Name:
    Timothy
    #6 RedFlyer512TR, Sep 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Alright, Screw it! I will give you the truth.

Here is the deal OP... The vast majority of Ferrari owners are male. The testarossa name itself is actually a play on the word testosterone and not the italian word for red head as is commonly believed. Anyhow, when Enzo himself envisioned what was to be his greatest and most daring achievement, he dreamed of a car so powerful and masculine, it would not need side mirrors because no self respecting owner would ever drive such a machine in a way that would require looking behind him. Unfortunately, the European governments insisted that he provide at least one mirror. Enzo did so mockingly, and so drafted an exaggerated mirror, which he decried should extend out from the A pillar no less than the manhood of any man daring enough to drive her. A few years later, Ferrari dealers began hearing complaints from a growing customer base that were soft, weak, and dare I say, girly. These linen jacket moussed hair men were scared to go fast and were constantly being overtaken by elderly women in their Cadillac Devilles. Moreover, this new breed of owner were to feeble to even attach their own safety belt. In what would be a precursor to his demise, Enzo conceded and gave the masses what they wanted...two side view mirrors, automatic safety belts, and five lug wheels, so owners wouldn't hurt their manicure changing tires.

Today, the Ferrari market celebrates the pure machismo of the early cars, as is reflected in their price, while any true tifosi who is "in the know" will see a two mirrored TR for what it is---the Ferrari version of a fanny pack.

OK THERE, I SAID IT!

:p :D

8. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Now that is what I'm talking about. I'm tired and will pick it apart later.

R

9. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    And we're all looking forward to your reply.

I'm NEW to TR ownership and have a 1990 wimpy two mirror car. Now ALL of us spend the time in the fast lanes, but even a TR has to get over to the right to get off of these six lane highways. That right mirror comes in handy in TRAFFIC, where you can't go any faster than the rest of masses that are ALL going 70 MPH within inches of each other.

Frankly, I think the one mirrored car looks a little weird. A mirror half way up the pillar.
    For some reason Enzo didn't seem to think his other creations needed the same look. In the Ferrari 512TR, Testarossa world, on Ferrari chat it seems the car each person owns, usually is the best, the most sought after, yadda, yadda, yadda. If you own a 512TR of course that's
    light years better than just a TR. We should ALL be happy we can enjoy these cars,and quit categorizing them for value. I get into the TR after driving my 328, and there's NO comparison.
    The Testarossa makes the 328 seem mundane! Yet my 328GTB is more valuable. The world IS upside down.

10. Total Recall

Total Recall Formula Junior

Aug 21, 2014
    East Yorkshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Dominic Bradley
    Lol Awesome!

I don`t want to complicate things but if a Testarossa with double mirrors is girly - and a Testarossa with no mirrors would have been most masculine, doesn`t that leave ours with one mirror somewhere inbetween?

I`ve always thought of the Countach as King of supercars and the Testarossa as Queen of supercars - but that could get a little wierd for the single mirror cars....

Anyway back to collectability - don`t take it too serious but I`m sure most people want to know how collectable, valuable or rare something they have is - it`s just human nature!

The prices defnitely show the M`s value above the TR`s above the Single mirror`s, above the later year Testarossa`s (in the Uk at least) but as you say condition and mileage seem to make A big difference.

The gap between the versions is closing though - as the cars get older the extra performance of later models matters less to some people and gets offset by the originality of the earlier ones.

Sure there are loads more of the 80`s Testarossa`s but against that I`m sure they have a bigger worldwide appreciation by the general public - just from the name "Testarossa" and also as they had the most impact on peoples` lives as they (and the Countach ofc) were the first supercars to get really pushed in peoples` faces in everything from magazines and TV to posters and computer games - hell my m8 even had a Testarossa beach towel - I was soo jealous!

I know rarity does come into it but at the end of the day it`s rarity versus desireability and people don`t always desire the best one - they just want the one they remember!

I hope values don`t just stay the same - I hope they either rocket so I can get a Countach - or plummet so I can buy another one to use as an everyday car over winter, so it doesn`t matter if it turns into iron fillings with all the salt they put on the roads here :p

L8r,
    Dom

11. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    +1

12. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #12 msdesignltd, Sep 29, 2014

13. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I agree, we should all be happy we can enjoy these cars. Just know, single mirror owners are statistically happier than dual mirror owners.

I think it has something to do with the size of our mirror :p

14. Testarossa Lover

Testarossa Lover F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    round 2? lol. I will check in daily...

15. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    #15 Mr.Chairman, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
    I totally disagree.. Enzo did not name this car or design this car with testosterone in mind.. I also dont look at the single mirror as a hard on.. Thats gross bro.. When I read the whole male testosterone part I almost up chucked in my mouth.. The Testarossa is all woman.. Period.. Sexy lines. Sexy curves, and that fat as*... Nothing about the Testarossa hints to a male.. except the driver. In italy especially in the 80's cars usually had one mirror so they probably just came up with a stupid idea to make a high mirror - to be trendy.. Italian style.. It did not work because when the other countries gave them sh*t (needing two mirrors) the high mirror on the opposite side was useless.. You cant see it from the driver side. So... they modified the design and gave her two mirrors.. The only thing I see to be more desireable in the early cars are those automatic seat belts. yuck.. Knock off wheels.. stink.. you cant get tires.. and if you do find tires the manufacturer ass rapes you because they know they have you in a corner.. I think its BS.. Option b for the knock offs is to buy those wheels offered by RR.... Really nice wheel but guess what.. Another as* raping.. Then you gotta buy tires.. So.. Yeah yeah yeah... bla bla bla.. Monospecchio... Mono in Cullo if you ask me.. The cars looks like its raising its hand in school to ask a question.. the question is WHERE THE F*CK IS MY OTHER MIRROR? I love ya Joe.. but referring to the b*itch with testosterone and ball sack is way out of line.. You disgust me..LOL... From now on I will refer to the monospecchio versions as Mono in Cullo version.. Much better and fitting because if you own one.. Bend over.. LOL.. All kidding aside.. They are all going to be collectable. Hate to admit it but the earlier versions will probably demand a premium.. Mono in Cullo reigns supreme.. (not to me).. Ahh.. feel better now.. Thanks Joe.. and your still going soft.. LMAO.. Geeze I love this TR section.. Anyone ever hang out in the 360/430 section? It sucks..

R

16. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    For someone so offended by my reference to the TR in the masculine, I counted no less than two a** raping references in your post. I would expect nothing less from a two mirror owner ;) :D :p

17. simchanova

simchanova Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 3, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    ...I LOVE Mr. Chairman and YOU TOO JOE!!...this section is the best!...I'm just getting around to having the major done on my TR...just in time for winter storage!...personally I think the monospecchio thing is overblown ...I mean would you wear pants with just one leg?...unless your a real man and your tailor has to sew in a "Johnson slot" for your "third" leg...I would NEVER want to be with a chick with one booby...too science fiction for me...we all have two eyes unless your a f**kin pirate...ya get my drift!...joe , since I judged your car I ran the vin # on it as I was a little curious...the four previous owners were Pee Wee Herman , Liberace , Truman Capote, and Wayne Newton...all cool guys I guess but NOT very macho ....so YOUR. Monospecchio is low on the macho totem pole...LOL! You guys have to come to my rally on November 2...I'd love for you to see the cars....Stuart

18. Testarossa Lover

Testarossa Lover F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    Joe, you didn't have to say much... :) I too have to agree with Mr. Chairman about the hand raising analogy LOL, this one will be on for a long time....

Being TR less now, I will settle for a single mirror... and about the tires? well, that's when I will start using a trailer. LMAO

19. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I would take an early one to avoid the motorized mouse seat belts. The single mirror... shrugs.

20. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    #20 godabitibi, Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
    I have a student a school who has broken clavicle and has his arm stapped to his body so when he puts on his overall suit he looks like a single Mirror TR :)
    I have the best of both world. Two mirrors AND no mouse belts. Viva CDN TR's. And rare over that with only 26 built for 1990.

Single mirrors look like handicaped.

21. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    When Ferrari went to the 512TR- what did they change for looks? Well they certainly tried to make the car look a little more balanced. GONE the single inlet for the AC condenser in the front of the car, to a front bumper that is symmetrical. A subtle change but one that I think makes the car look better. One mirror hanging in outer space didn't last very long in the scheme of things. A MISTAKE that was corrected early on.

So my car has the "mouse" belts. Kind of weird to get used to, but they do work, and I'll never get a ticket for not having my seat belt on- even if I don't put on the lap belt. In some ways they just ADD to the uniqueness of the car. Instead of them being a MINUS, they actually in a weird way are a plus!

22. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #22 msdesignltd, Oct 1, 2014
    I am exceptionally Keen on the 86, what people also overlook in conversation is the lack of a mirror on the right side..
    This look harkens back to the early 60's when most cars came with only one mirror.
    Like the early XKE's...it really cleaned up the line on the passenger side of the car. Almost primitive yet so clean..
    I think the opposite side of the Flying mirror cars is as unique as the drivers side.
    A virgin in wait !
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    All those guys with 2 mirrors TR are pathetic compared to us Single-Mirror owner..Yes! Pathetic! You are always comparing, saying how good you are and how bad we are...When someone has to lower his neighbor like this and so regularly is because he/she has inferiory complex. Get a life, get a single-Mirror...Oh! And Robb, especially for you: GET A TR!

We're all happy campers seeing our TR going up in value, whatever the model and then BAM! You come in, take the flame thrower out, blaze everybody and duck! Way to go for a guy that can't drive a 12 cyl...:D :D
    Happy now?

24. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    #24 MS250, Oct 1, 2014
    I'm a little taken back by the hardness for the single mirror.

If that mirror is the only grip for some of you to hate the car that much , hate to think what you think of the 512m.

.... This car looks amazing with that hung out single mirror. Only ferrari can do styling cues like this and create something so beautiful in the automotive industry !

25. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I have a very early tr in the shop right now, late 1985 production date. Black..very clean car. On,y comment it get.."why the dumb mirror". Second, is " it isn't it red".

Says a lot. Only those in the "know" understand it. Others not so much.