Less than 100 Single Mirror Right Hand Drive Testarossa`s remaining? | FerrariChat

Less than 100 Single Mirror Right Hand Drive Testarossa`s remaining?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Total Recall, Sep 28, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Total Recall

Total Recall Formula Junior

Aug 21, 2014
    East Yorkshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Dominic Bradley
    Hi, just a quick intro first.

I`m Dominic from Yorkshire in the (not so) sunny UK!

I bought my early `86 UK Testarossa a bit over 2 years ago. It had at some point been converted to double low mirrors but I`ve since sourced the parts and I`m in the process of turning it back to it`s former wierd and wonderful single flying mirror guise.

I`m surprised there`s no definite info on single mirror numbers and even less on RHD ones, so I have been trying to make an educated estimate.

I still don`t know exacly how many RHD Testarossa`s they made - I know it says about 438 UK but then there`s the other markets - I`m sure I saw 700ish total RHD mentioned somewhere but can`t seem to find where I saw it!

I`ve seen the info on Red-headed.com which says total production to the end of 1985 was a little under 700 and in 1986 they made around 800 more - so presumably total single mirror production is somewhere in between 700 and 1500.

If RHD production was under 10% that means anywhere between 70 & 150 RHD single mirrors produced. That means there could well be under 100 remaining. Does all that sound like reasonable logic?

It`s all guessing ofc - it would be nice if there was some more info somewhere to narrow it down a bit.

You don`t see many here for sale now, which is a little worrying as if anything unfortunate happened depsite being realistically insured it could be a hard task finding a car in good order for sensible money.

This was the last one I saw http://www.ycsc.co.uk/car/1225/ (also in Yorkshire!)

Not sure how much it sold for - it was only advertised for about a week at 95,000 GBP - or $150,000. It did say it had only done 23,000 miles though - unlike my globe trotting 60,000+ miles lol!

Has anybody seen any others for sale recently - and does anyone have any more info or thoughts on the production numbers?

Bye for now,
    Dom.

2. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Hi Dom, for the life of me, I cannot recall where I got the number, but ii recall 819 single mirror /single bolt cars were made, 1984 being the first model side by side with the final bbi. We didn't get the single mirror until 1986 here in North America.
    The bulk of Testarossa's were made from 89-91 where I think just over half were made of the 7,700 cars. Hence why we so so many for sale in this yr bracket.

I know of a euro 1985, but I have never seen an 84 come up for sale. It would be pretty cool if the first Testarossa popped up somewhere , but no idea why it's so unique when compared to 84 bbi's.

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #3 Rifledriver, Sep 28, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
    Testarossas were released in the USA to the dealers in late September 1985 and were MY85. In the US they can be identified by having only 2 brake lights.

If there were any 1984's world wide I am unaware of it. The earliest Ferrari owners manuals or other documents I have seen were dated 1985.

The earliest VIN I can find, aside from the Paris show car would be a production date of September 84. By our standards that would be a MY85 and built after the summer break/model change over but our standards do not prevail world wide. That would almost certainly be a preproduction car so make of that what you will.

4. kdross

kdross Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I just purchased a 1985 Single Mirror TR with 6K original miles. The car is a USA version and is red/tan and does not have the third brake light. I purchased the car from the 2nd owner. The car is currently receiving a very extensive 30K mile service. Guess I should post a new thread, but wanted everyone to know there are 1985 TR's out there.

5. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Found it

Red Headed - Testarossa

According to red head in 1984 110 euro Testarossa's were made with the first one potentially being 53081 .... You are correct, in 1985 the US market saw 121 units delivered .Total number of single mirrors / single bolt cars puts it at 1,497 cars - unofficial of course.
    819 cars I quote was for the 1986 model year only.

6. Total Recall

Total Recall Formula Junior

Aug 21, 2014
    East Yorkshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Dominic Bradley
    Thanks for the replies and info!

Yeah the same over here but a year earlier for us then - I`ve seen cars registered in 85 over here - and maybe some of those were made in 84 - I don`t know if there were any registered in 84 here though.

Mine was registered in February 86 - I don`t really know how model years work over here either but I guess some of it will have been made in 85 lol - I wonder how quickly they were shipped from the factory after completion?

I thought 819 seemed a little low production but as you say that was just for 86. However that 1497 total single mirror would only be if all 86`s were single mirror wouldn`t it? I`m sure I`ve seen some 86`s advertised with original double low mirrors but I don`t know if / when the changeover was?

That makes sense with the the early US cars not having a 3rd brake light - I`m sure a lot of American cars got a 3rd brake light in 86 too. Must be amazing having one with only 6,000 miles - would be like buying one brand new!

I wish they still made Testarossa`s and Countach`s just updated a bit like they do with 911`s, would certainly brighten up the roads if you saw one every day!

Thanks again,
    Dom.

7. Ferraritestarossa

Oct 11, 2014
    London uk
    Full Name:
    Andrew Maylen
    I own an 85 uk rhd model in Rosso corsa cream hide and burgundy carpets just under 22k miles in great condition recent belts and service full service history vin 58095

The market seems to have gone crazy right now and prices seem to be climbing

There can't be many left now ! I wonder what it's worth now

8. MonoSpecchio

MonoSpecchio Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2006
    SoCal in the IE
    My Monospecchio is a USA spec 1985 also. kdross, please start a new thread with pics! Gotta see pics of your low mileage example...mine has over 40,000 miles. Glad to have another '85 on F Chat.

9. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #9 tr512, Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    dual high mirror never has been original

11. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Joe
    Are you saying that someone added the second mirror?
    I always thought it was a 7k option ,it sure looked stock. I guess not.

12. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    the "high" mirror has been only a single mirror.
    for LHD cars on the left side, for RHD cars on the right side.
    I don´t remember an option that a TR could be delivered with 2 "high" mirrors.
    those with 2 "high" mirrors are customized by their owners - but looks pretty good :)