Starter Saga Sequel | FerrariChat

Starter Saga Sequel

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by UpNorth, Sep 29, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    So I had an original starter on my 85. That thing was acting up once in a while in hot start episodes. We went through the beefing up of ground, change of relay, upgrade of fuse box to Helms stuff, change of solenoid and you can go see my thread about ferraristarter that went sour.
    Finally, I changed the starter for a new Bosch unit bought from an AD...Pure bliss since then...until yesterday.
    Car was cold, started fine, went for a nice little 30 minutes ride, stopped. 15 minutes later it took 5 key turn to hear it crank! I could ear the click but nothing the 4 first attemps!...
    Any ideas, guys?

2. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Are you sure your battery is OK?

3. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    Errr...yea...it started real fine until yesterday...but hey..I'll check next week since the car is at the country house...Would be an easy fix...

4. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Go read the cross reference thread that Christophe just posted.

5. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    I would check to see if your battery terminals are clean and tight. Some leave them a tad loose so they can disconnect when car is sitting. Does not make sense because there is a battery switch for some reason people are afraid to use.

R

6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Under the expansion tank is a 6 or 8 pin connector, can't remember the number of pins. Make sure the pins are nice and tight, and it is tightly connected. That is the biggest cause of non start issues when hot.

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #7 Rifledriver, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
    Big problem. We see a lot of voltage drop at that one connector. I often just bypass it with one wire and install an insulated 1/4 spade connector there. It is a terrible design for a high current connection.

Get your Radio Shack volt meter out and measure voltage drops all along the big white wire. Bet you find a couple of problem spots. Test battery voltage and go to the big white coming out of the switch first. It really should be the same while cranking on both tests. Then work your way back. I have never had a car that required reengineering the starter. Don't forget to test the voltage at the big cable on the starter too. That quick coupling under the motor isn't exactly aerospace grade.

8. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    Yep, that rubber connector block is garbage. I've bypassed quite a few on the white solenoid cable..

9. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    Thanks guys! Will report back.

10. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach