Air meter sensor "play" | FerrariChat

Air meter sensor "play"

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Veedub00, Sep 30, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    Can someone explain "play" in terms of the air meter plates? I've read on here about it. Does that mean you can press down on it a little bit before it actuates the armature?

If so, what if there is no play? My right plate seems to have play but my left one has zero play. What's the play used for?

Oh, I am having the hardest time getting my left bank to get lean. I screwed with the 3mm Allen screws and think I messed it up. Is there a factory setting that's in the ballpark?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. phreakish

phreakish Rookie

Jul 21, 2014
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    The 'play' is the free-space between the plunger in the fuel distribution block, and the arm of the sensor plate.

The 'play' is felt as very-easy to move plate, and then there's slightly more resistance as it touches down on the plunger. The plunger resistance is very minimal as felt at the sensor plate.

How do you know the left bank (7-12, I'm assuming) is rich?

If you have zero play on the 7-12 bank, it could be a few things:
    The adjustment screw is very tight and has taken out all the play.
    The plunger is stuck full-open in the fuel distributor and so contact is never felt, basically 'infinite play'.

Which family engine do you have? Euro spec? Do you have oxygen sensors?

There is no factory setting for the amount of 'play'. The WSM on D33 describes setting the 'base' mix adjustment of the fuel distributor (aligning). The process in a nutshell is to back off the mixture screw and then disconnect a fuel injector line at the fuel distributor, and jumper the fuel pump to run. No fuel should flow. If it does, continue to loosen the screw until no fuel flows (this is best done with two people and only running the fuel pump a few seconds at a time). Once no fuel flows, tighten the mixture screw until fuel just begins to flow, then back off the screw again by a half-turn. Follow the mixture adjustment procedures from there, which varies between cars with and without O2 sensors.

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    "Play" only applies to (and should be present on) the KE-Jet TR (not the K-Jet TR). If there is no "play", the plunger is (already wrongly) deflected upward -- so the slits could (wrongly) be open when no air is entering the engine.

CIS Flow Tech recommends 1 to 3mm play (measured in airflow plate deflection from its rest position) being present as the sanity check IIRC.

4. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Also, with the setup used on the 3x8s --- not sure if the same set up is used on the injected Boxers or the TRs ? --- the air flow sensor is inverted (upside down) as compared to all (that I am aware of at least) other CIS applications. And, in that case (Ferrari) the plate should not have any free play at all.

5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The plate has free play in the 308 as well. 3-4mm is normal, if not ideal.

6. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    I am afraid that is simply not correct.

The sensor plate on the injected 3x8s / Mondials does not have any free play --- therefore there is no free play adjustment or specification.

There is a "rest / stop" height adjustment and specification, however.

Again, I am not sure whether the injected BB / TR uses a similar air flow meter, or if they use the more conventional setup (like most German cars running CIS) where the plate moves up (instead of down), and there is free play between initial sensor movement and when it first contacts the tip of the control plunger.

7. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #7 Steve Magnusson, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
    All of the injected 308, 328, and brother Mondials are K-Jet = no free play when the fuel pump is running with engine not running (because there is no physical stop for the plunger except for the airflow plate mechanism contacting the rest pin) -- whether or not the airflow metering device is the downdraft or updraft style doesn't make any difference for this. KE-Jet does have free play when the fuel pump is running with engine not running because there is a separate physical stop for the plunger itself (again, regardless of whether the airflow metering device is the downdraft or updraft style).

8. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    Does someone have a diagram to show these parts and exactly what dimensions are being adjusted and how?

Thanks

Phil

9. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #9 vincenzo, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    well I put a fuel gauge on a output line and the fuel pressure was too low and not steady. i fiddled with the screw until the pressure was good. Now the the car is running really strong, which is nice. It feels like it sputters a tiny bit when I barely give it throttle, but its intermittent. I think I'll have to send the fuel distros out to get rebuilt over the winter. I imagine they are well used.

11. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Try putting a few miles on it before you send off fuel diffs. There is much truth to the old adage 'Italian tune up'. You might be surprised how some of the little fuel gremlins go away after some spirited driving.