Your Thoughts & Advice on Purchasing This '86 TR | FerrariChat

Your Thoughts & Advice on Purchasing This '86 TR

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by slownrusty, Oct 5, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. slownrusty

slownrusty Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Slow Rusty
    Hi Gang - First post and looking for your advice on a '86 TR that is for sale locally in Houston. I have been looking at TRs for quite some time and was excited to check out this one last week.

The car is for sale at Lamborghini Houston for $65k (firm) and has been driven with 43K miles on it, so has patina and "wear" commensurate with that mileage and age.

The car needs the following:
    1) Engine out belt service

on closer inspection I noticed the following:
    1) Rock chip in the windshield
    2) Dent and broken paint in the left right fender above the tail light (unfortunately) - not visible in the pictures below
    3) A few dents in the lower metal panel below the tail pipes - visible in the pictures below
    4) The paint looks good from 10', lots of scratches and wear (a paint correction might revive it)
    5) Wheels have been rash or peeling finish
    6) front spoiler has damage and drilled for a plate

The "Good"
    1) Interior re-furbished and new carpets installed - interior looks great
    2) Mark from Sphere (here in Houston) knows the car and worked on it in the past. The previous owner took very good care of it and did not scrimp.
    3) Flying mirror / early car
    4) Receipts from last owner back to 2007

On to the pictures:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am not a troll and certainly not here to waste your time and would greatly appreciate your advice and thoughts.

Thanks!

2. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Are you looking specifically for a single Mirror? With what this car need from your description I think it will easily be in the 80K range and maybe 90 if you do nothing yourself. I think for that king of money you should be able to find a car that is ready to go with engine out done and a nice exterior.

For a single Mirror the offered cars are not common but for the 87-91 there are more.

3. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Welcome to F Chat. Tht's my kind of car. An honest car, and a blaster. Buy it and never look back. Life is too short to not start enjoying it.

This car appears to be a far cry from the $40K, or even $30K "beaters" out there.

Yes, it will cast money. Yes, it will put a wide grin on your face.

BTW Please share a bit about yourself if you are so inclined, by filling out your profile.

4. slownrusty

Oct 1, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Slow Rusty
    Thanks for the responses and welcome Open Roads.

I am not specifically looking for an early / single mirror car, just so happened my search locally turned up one.

The engine out service does not scare me, I can drop the engine in my 930 in about four hours working alone and taking my time (fortunately I have the garage, tools and mechanical aptitude).

5. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Wow, 65k firm for a TR with 43k miles,cosmetic issues and in need of a belt service? Prices are Definitely going up! :)

6. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3

Mar 27, 2013
    Hunt. Bch/Palm Dsrt/Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    My advise....at that price, move on. The price for a windshield varies from $5,000 to $1,500 plus install depending on OEM, antenna, etc. A cracked windshield doesn't fixed itself. You WILL need one.

Engine out....look at records. How has car been maintained in the past. Last service? Records? What has been done in recent years 1-3? Lambo of Houston has nice used cars....is that good enough for you? Not me...

Having said all that, if you can drop a 930, a TR is way more work and time but you should not have a problem. Low ball it....

7. slownrusty

Oct 1, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Slow Rusty
    Agreed Jaguar 15 on all points made.

With this car, I would drive and it enjoy it, I can look past some of the cosmetic issues (the paint and the wheels for example) but it definitely needs TLC and $$.

The car only comes with records to 2007 and added up is about $15-$20k from brake work, transaxle out to repair various oil leaks and refurbish the interior. There has been very little money spent in the past 1-3 years based on the receipts.

Based on my conversations with Lambo of Houston they are quite firm on the price as they talked about sending the car onto an collector car auction if they do not get their price, that said if I can get this car for less than $60K, I'm in.

8. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    A friend of mine just passed on a better car than this. A good TR needs nothing but a service is a 20-25K on top of the buy price.

This car is simply gonna put you upside down and sideways ups. Guestimate is 50 to 80K if you want the perfect car.

Also remember the TR needs several mandatory upgrades to make it a reliable driver (learned this here): the axle - 10K, the fuse box ...

For a car that was made at 7000 units, it is not worst to spend $150K+ when all done not including any "surprises".
    this is not a Boxer.

If you are bent to get a TR at $130K+, you certainly can get a top notch car, all serviced up with the upgrades... but wait until 2016, by then the environment should make exotics affordable again.

9. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    This is your money and will be your car. If this car fill your needs and you can get it at the price you want go for it and enjoy the fun of owning a testarossa.

10. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

Welcome over here slow! Lots of good Intel just like over in the Turbo section of pelican. My advice is to take your time and find the car you want. If you look at multiple cars you will see a wide range of condition. Look at as many as you are able.

Peter

11. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Agree with Pete. Look at as many as possible, drive as many as possible. You will have a good understanding of good, bad and gain an understanding of what you want and expect from the car. I think patience is the key in finding a nice car and they are out there.

Be prepared to spend money on the search - travel to other parts of the country if necessary. The rise in prices has brought many cars to market in excellent condition. Spend up front if you can.

Good luck and enjoy the process, you will be rewarded in the end.

12. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    Why do you say it needs a belt service, when was it last done? Read, read, read, here.I know the flat 12 market is a little crazy right now, but make sure this is the car you want. I almost pulled the trigger on a flying mirror car, but decided I really wanted both mirrors, due to my style of driving. The car was definitely a great car with little or no $ to be spent on it, but I passed. Read about doing an engine out, make sure that's what you want to tackle right off the bat. You said it had the transaxle out, all they did was fix a leak, no diff replacement? In a more stable $ market, I would pass, today , who knows. Have you actually driven the car?
    With these cars, local is not a reason to buy (unless you get lucky), I had to go to Maryland to inspect/purchase my car. That was after many phone calls and photos and a good faith deposit being sent to hold the car. Patience is a virtue, and know what you are getting into, with both eyes open. God luck and keep us posted.
    :)

13. slownrusty

Oct 1, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Slow Rusty
    Some great responses coming in and cool to see my fellow forum members from Pelican chiming in (Pete and Okiedude).

I am in no ways in a "rush" to buy a TR or even this local car at Lambo of Houston, in fact after giving it some further thought (analysis paralysis..laughing) over the past few days further based on the asking price and the overall condition of this car I am less interested.

It took me well over a year to find the right 930 and spent quite a few $$ flying between Miami, Atlanta and San Diego before coming across the right car, I cant believe that was almost 10 years ago! I am prepared to do the same for a TR.

Okie - the belt service was done 3+ years ago, hence the suggestion that was made by Lambo Houston and Mark @ Sphere. The transaxle was out due to something that was installed the "wrong way" by a previous mechanic causing an oil leak, you know that old adage where you spend more time and $$ undoing what someone else did incorrectly. Mark @ Sphere said he has never seen issues with the TR diff. I have not driven the car.

14. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Greetings and hope all is well. All TR's will always have some issues/flaws. Etc. what bothers me is that a mechanic has the balls to tell you that the previous owner did not scrimp meanwhile she needs a service, a windshield, a polish/detail, dents and paint cracks not addressed. I'm not condemning the car. I just find the conversation you had with the guy from sphere a joke. It would be a good car for the right price. I would pass on this one. God knows why the interior needed refurb. I don't get the impression that this car was well cared for. The complete opposite actually.

R

15. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    For what it's worth, it took me three years to find my TR. As my mother used to say to my sisters, "you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find a prince."

16. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    Whether this is the car for you or not, try and drive it, just to get a feel for the TR. This section is filled with horror stories about rear diff failures, though statistically, it is a semi-rare failure (he says while putting on his nomex fire suit), it is a very well documented problem, with a well documented fix. Unless they drove an awful lot of miles in the last three years, your timing belt should still have some life left. I agree with the Chairman, you got the sales spin put on this car, but they really all come with some sort of current or pending issue. You might have to spend a few more bucks in today's market, but try and find a relatively issue free car.

17. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    A grey market early TR with TRX wheels and needs a service. I can also see from the underhood pictures it has been getting serviced by people not too up to speed on TR's.

Pass, lots of better cars out there. This car is low on the desirability list and high on the needs list with a poor service history. Also we really don't know the true mileage. Odometer has been changed.

18. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    Brian, good call on the wheels. Tires are virtually impossible to find for these wheels.

19. slownrusty

Oct 1, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Slow Rusty
    Sounds good guys! I'll keep looking and pass on this car.

To Sphere's defense, they have not seen the car in several years and were going off memory when it was last serviced at their facility.

The Lambo of Houston ad unfortunately does not accurately represent the car and the deficiencies (as I call it). The one visual issue that bothers me most is the rear fender dent above the right tail light as it will need to be filled and blending the paint will be incredibly difficult and or will require a re-paint...or just live with it and chalk it up to "character"

My speculation is that the previous owner of the car had his fun with it, drove it a fair bit and then either let is sit and / or was tired spending $$ on it.

The hunt continues and have my lip gloss ready to kiss some more frogs :)

20. ktr6

ktr6 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    Full Name:
    Keith
    This has been the reality of several TRs I have looked at over the past two years. PO had fun with the car, neglected it, and wants to pass on the service to me. Keep looking your car is out there.

21. blown daytona

blown daytona Formula 3

Feb 6, 2008
    maryland
    I know it has been said here before....The cheapest TR will be the most expensive TR when the smoke clears. Buying a really nice example and paying fairly for it will end up being the cheapest car in the long run. Just my two cents :) Good Luck with your search

22. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    I think some of you are going to be hard pressed to find a car where someone has done major work to upkeep the car and then sell it to you for market value or wholesale.

I for one have serious money in my car after 15 yrs, and if decided to sell and these were the comments, I can assure you, I will drive it like a $2 w***e with my new diff ;) and then sell it to you for 35k so you can all high five each other on the great find as opposed to selling at 65 grand.

Be careful on what people on the Intent may constitute a good car, single mirror cars are not a dime a dozen if that's the one car you want..... You have to expect these cars at nearly 30 yrs old getting ready for symapathic restorations.

I can tell you , at a FCA event yesterday , there were 3 Testarossa's in a field of 70 cars , and my single mirror had many owners swing by to look closely at that mirror and knock off wheels over the 1990 cars with tubi loud noisey exhausts.

These are becoming a little more unique at events.

Buy what you love, life is too short.

23. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Just wondering how you know? Are there telltale signs?

24. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #24 Melvok, Oct 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    EXACTLY !!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    I agree, single mirror cars are higher up the rarity scale. Red, which wheels do you have on your car?