Testarossa track car | FerrariChat

Testarossa track car

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by ARTNNYC, Oct 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    Hey there fellow TR owners/enthusiasts!
    I was wondering if you had any thoughts about converting a TR into a track biased car via lightening, safety and performance modifications? Do you know of any around?
    I think, after doing some research, that getting 500 pounds out of one would not be impossible and would certainly make it a much more entertaining car to drive on track.

2. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

williamH has one...a very well designed and executed one!! he would be the guy to chime in.

3. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #3 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Oct 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Transmission and diff are the big weak points, esp on track with lots of hp and slicks. Look at BBLMs why they DNF in period.

Now you can get a titanium quill shaft and Newman makes an upgraded diff carrier so it is do able, but its going to cost.

I think you can take close to 1000 lbs out a testarossa. Its still going to be a big car with subpar aero compared to somethign more modern.

For aclassic track style ferrari take a 308 Gt4 and put a360 motor in, or do the same with a 308.

Still a track Tr is a great way to get a mid engined 12 cyl ferrari track car, not inexpensive project but probably the least expensive way to get a 12 midi ferrari.

Or you could build a 550 GTC.

In any event William H has been there and done that, so best to ask him.

5. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    thanks for the info everyone

6. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Found the car I would consider, not sure how to copy and paste on iPad but go to Ferraris-on line.com 550 GTC/M conversion. Want to be unique? That' May qualify.

7. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #8 Melvok, Oct 9, 2014
  8. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #9 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Oct 9, 2014
  9. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Making a testarossa into a track car is like making a sledge hammer into a scalpel. It could be done, but it won't be easy and in the end there was probably a better starting point :).

Money no object, cool project.

10. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Hi Jerome.

Indeed, William would be the man.

I too, am afflicted. I have been working in my minds eye, to try to determine what shape my Boxer race car will take.

I mention it here because there is a remote chance that I'll make it a rebodied Testarossa. I don't want to. I want it to be all Boxer. Parts prices are steep though. And I'll be way, way under water. But I'm not wanting to make a profit. Rather I'm in it for the fun.

I'm not in it for all out speed. My planned car will likely to be a tribute to the IMSA car that had big wheel wells and pre-dated the BBLMs. A TR based track car is a different thing. But was close enough that I thought I'd say something here.

I'll be interested in what you may want to do. Please do keep us informed.

I think the 550 offered by Mike Sheehan would certainly save time and money. It probably is not be what you and I are thinking though.