Are TR & 512 prices gonna hold? | FerrariChat

Are TR & 512 prices gonna hold?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by ghardt, Oct 9, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I'm 45 years old and own a 348 and 612, however I've always wanted to add a 1994 512TR to the grarage. The outlandish price increases in the TR family have made me feel the window to buy a one may be closing for the average joe. Fundamentally, I feel these prices will pull back a bit to a more realistic level. I feel uncomfortable paying $200K for a 512 TR that was $100K 12-18 months ago. I can and will spend the $200K if these values will hold. Who has a crystal ball?

2. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I'm referring to 512 TR and TR prices; not Boxer prices.

3. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I say continue to climb as long as the economy is chugging along. I think they will peak around June of next year and hold for a while. Then slowly drop off or sooner if the economy tanks when the Fed rises interest rates.

There are still decent drivers out there for reasonable money. But I agree a bubble has formed and how big......who knows. With that said, reasonable money is a relative term.

4. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    These were Ferrari flagship cars and I expect them to continue to rise. They are eminently drivable luxurious GT cars with a great ownership and driving experience

5. Jezter70

Jezter70 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2013
    Surry (from UK)
    Full Name:
    Jez
    +1 ..... anything that can be classified 'Iconic Ferrari' will IMHO continue to rise for the forseeable future ..... for exactly how long and at what rate, is anyones guess, however the 512TR certainly qualifies on all fronts,as very rare, beautiful and perhaps the most iconic Ferrari design of recent times.

BR
    Jez

6. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #6 msdesignltd, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
    Not That anybody cares what I have to say!!!

Its Mathematical now ,There is no room in the Market for Gaps.
    The 512 M is virtually Identical to the TR and in low # production.
    It will lead the 512TR series into oblivion.
    Now that the 512 M is at or above $350,000.00
    The gap down to the 512tr can no longer be 2 fold.or half as much.
    I believe we will see the M continue to rise as it checks all the collectable boxes.
    Low Quantity , one year of production , 75 units in the USA.
    As far as the 512 TR goes, over the span of 3 years produced , 408 came to the USA.
    The most in 92' a little less in 93' and only 39 in 1994.
    This makes the 1994 virtually more collectable as far as stats are concerned than the 1995 512M...so give it a little time and all the 512 TR series should be within 7 to 9 tenths the value of a 512M...with the possibility of the 1994 exceeding all. This scenario although may take more time will occur with the testarossa after the TR's are out of sight.
    That will be the last gap to fill, and then the collectable ferrari doors will close for a while.
    If you are on the fence now, Do it ....before......?

For this mindset of thinking that I have..I have just purchased another 512TR.
    Yes its a 1994.
    JUST for the Record...Eventually I will flip it..Ok Guys!
    I may want to enjoy this car a little longer than usual.
    You have all been notified.

7. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Only 39 US 1994 512TR? Is that correct?

8. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    This is what I have researched and this site comes close to backing it up

Red Headed - 512 TR

9. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    They aren't building any more so prices just going up

Collector car values across the board are WAY up.

10. blue_myriddn

blue_myriddn Karting

Feb 8, 2012
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Just my poor two cents, but I think that in the absence of a financial crisis the 512TR will hold on to its current value.

11. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    #11 sherrillt, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
    You should...Where are you getting this price from? Dealers are asking $129-149k and the dealer that had 92 asking $129k bought it on ebay for $95k a few months ago and sold it for less than then the $129k asking. Along the same line of thinking I hope you do not think 328s are getting the $60-$90k listed asking...the reality I am seeing is only in the $40s...big variance from asking and reality. Coming to a specialty car board and asking owners for prices is kind of crazy. Like asking the neighbor of a overpriced house if he thinks the house listed next door is priced fair - just too much bias and conflict of interest for the majority that are willing to concur with the assessment of the wishful aspirational prices of these cars for the most part. Ask a '99 360 owner the value of their car and they will swear it's in the $70s ignorant of the fact that 04s are selling in the same range with less miles and it goes on and on.

BTW as a 512TR owner the price at $200k will hold buy one ;)

12. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    You are 45 ... If you want one, get one.

70 is around the corner, won't matter at that point if it's free if you can't drive past 5pm out :p

13. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I say go for it. If you want to pay less, get a 91 Testarossa. Same iconic car styling, just a little different under the hood.

14. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Dealer asking for $200K. I'm not sure if there really is a buying frenzy that will support this price, or just wishful thinking by the dealer. I've been a Ferrari owner for 12 years. But, it's starting to turn into a collection. I know how to buy; just can't seem to sell any of my cars.

15. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Correct. But I like the cleaner look of the 512. If I were to buy a TR, I'd go for the early flying mirror single bolt model.

16. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Are you in Europe or America?

17. GregTe

GregTe Formula Junior

May 3, 2004
    Maine
    I have a 512TR that I absolutely love, I should be happy about the rising prices but it has ruined the car for me because I feel it is becoming to valuable to drive and enjoy...

18. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Texas

19. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    before everybody is convinced that a bubble is in place.... do the math.

I've had my TR since the late 90's. The depreciated curve back then was just beginning to flatten out.

Today, they sell for a 'about' what they were worth back then when adjusted for inflation.

Here is an example from http://www.davemanuel.com/inflation-calculator.php:

$70k in 1997 is now worth $103.2

They have been under appreciated and as such they lagged inflation for many years. They have now caught up to the (near) bottom of their depreciation curve - but in 2014 dollars.

I suggest that they are still near the BOTTOM of their depreciation curve - but in 2014 dollars.

Will they go up from here? Good question.

In my mind (and wallet), going over $103.2 would be 'appreciation'.

Rgds,
    Vincenzo

20. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Forget the math and watch the S&P 500 - I think ultra low mile cars and m's, will stay high .

Anything else will correct. IMHO

21. Testarossa Lover

Testarossa Lover F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    First things first...

Buy and enjoy it. Don't look at it as an investments.

It is far more fun to drive the B***h around over watching values up or down 20K.

If you are doing it for investment, there are better places you can park your money which will not require 10K service and lack of finding replacement parts 5-10 years from now.

I bought mine to enjoy, drove her 30,000 miles. I sold her because of my back and it had not been easy. It is a like wound that has healed but leaving a deep scar forever.

Don't wait until you are seventy to own one. Like I said, the fun is in driving and not running to the bank to cash in a profit. If profit is what is important to you, you really need to find a friend a crystal ball. :):):)

Good luck on your research, but I will say buy and drive. :)

22. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    Just buy a TR now, drive and enjoy, and don't worry about depreciation or appreciation. Its that simple. Don't overthink it or stretch for a 512 or M if it is out of your financial comfort zone. Any TR will scratch that itch for you. MOST people on the street don't know the difference between a TR, 512TR or 512M. Enjoy the ride.

23. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I'm not buying as an investment. I've always wanted a 512TR. Just don't want to overpay and I don't want to get priced out of buying one in the future.

24. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    Then buy a TR instead Jerry and fulfil your dream <smile>

25. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Actually only 73 F512M's are left in the USA. #59 was totaled in an accident in Washington State. And then there's #72... The Slutmobile.

Joe