Guesstimate work needed | FerrariChat

Guesstimate work needed

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by LHartman, Oct 9, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LHartman

LHartman Rookie

Oct 4, 2014
    SW Florida
    Full Name:
    L
    Hello Fellow TR Lovers.

I have been reading here for a long time but have never posted. I have looked several TR's in the past year and the real clean ones get snapped up and the others seem to linger. I am thinking of making an offer on one that I drove that runs and drives well but needs some TLC. I am a x -certified master mechanic (back when these cars were new) and feel I can perform my own PPI. Since I don't have a lift (yet) I will probably have the engine out done for me by a qualified friend.

I would LOVE some opinions on a guesstimate to make the car nice. I figure $12,000 to $15,000. What do you think? Your posts will affect my offer.

At a minimum the car needs

Engine out timing belts (clutch when out)
    fuse box isn't updated
    Windows are slow (I feel it is a bad ground but could be another problem)
    AC doesn't work (assume the worst)
    Dash cracked (near windshield)
    2 Very minor dents I think a paintless dent guy can roll out (on fear quarters)
    Leather needs to be dyed (the typical seat bolster wear)
    I think carpets will clean up but not sure.
    Engine deck lid gas shocks are shot

2. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    Don't forget your diff. Fix it before it goes BANG or your $15k won't go far then!

3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    1+++

4. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    I think your $12-$15k is a very realistic number. Assuming clutch is fine and your approach you want to take to fix the dash.

Everyone has opinions on the diff housing (let's not start that debate/discussion again) and mine is nice to do for peace of mind, but not required.

5. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    My 3rd gear started vibrating about 2 yrs ago when cruising ( not on acceleration or deceleration ) ...and last summer (2013) I began to hear a light knock (thump) when engaging 1st gear at very low rpm. It didn't happen often, but was evident when least expected.

I did my engine out 4 weeks ago ( almost time as it was 7yrs) so we took the engine off the tranny , resealed and changed the bushings and looked at the diff. My diff had 2 small hairline cracks ( only visible with a flashlight ) one was thicker than the other line. We changed the diff.

I have had the car for a week and I have logged 500 Kms intentionally , and the 3rd gear vibration is gone, and to date, I have not heard the knock or thumb from first gear. I have tried hard to replicate that noise , but to no avail.

My car has 63,000 Kms , and I've owned it for 15 yrs this nov 2014. The diff should be looked at for everyone on the next engine out if you are a brand new owner, or you are hearing noises that were not present before.

Just my .2 pennies.

6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    your .2 pennies are worth more then 15k US $ for those who don´t believe the diff talking

7. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    And keep in mind Big Red was an unbeliever for years on the subject ;-)

The diff job alone is at least $4000 in parts.

8. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    And then on top of that, how much would you guys estimate on labor, given a special engine out to do it (ie, not as part of a belt service)?

9. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    $15k should cover what you have on the table right now. A couple of those thing are just labor or cheap. Windows are free and the hood shocks are about $150 plus your time. The dash crack could be $200 or $1200 depending on how its fixed (pull the dash vent topper or pull the whole dash)

For those who dont have a friend with a lift...the engine out service is the bigget followed by a diff then the fuse box upgrade.

10. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    #10 MS250, Oct 13, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
    Not so much a unbeliever, just not a sky is falling type of guy :)

Mine was a grand total at 18.5 with hst taxes here, Which is about 2k in taxes....so, 16.5k pre tax.

Keep in mind, I also had to change my oil pump chain, plus the hydraulic shock that was with it. I also changed the tranny bushings , the rest was all looked over to make sure. Plus the full service, including valve adjustment, water pump, all the seals, brake flush, rad flush, tranny flush, oil change, clutch oil flush, and I also redid my chrome bolts as they had some wear all these years. New plugs,plug extenders, fuel filters, and on and on.

All in all, the car has never driven better in my 15yr of ownership. The shifting now is as good as my 308 cold and hot. I suspect the new bushings had a lot to do with it.

11. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Rick, time to sell with all that fresh work and upgrades on a flying Mirror you should get 100K for it.

12. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I would not take the engine out. It's not that hard to do in place.

13. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    LOL, I rather drive it in the snow and into the ground and get 40k on eBay and see 13 pages on fchat on how overpriced it is ;)

14. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Engine out timing belts (clutch when out)

fuse box isn't updated

Windows are slow (I feel it is a bad ground but could be another problem)

AC doesn't work (assume the worst)

Dash cracked (near windshield)
    2-3K

2 Very minor dents I think a paintless dent guy can roll out (on fear quarters)

Leather needs to be dyed (the typical seat bolster wear)
    1-2K
    I think carpets will clean up but not sure.
    ?
    Engine deck lid gas shocks are shot
    ?
    Figure 20k plus

15. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    Your quotes seem excessive. Higher than even F dealer costs. If I recall correctly the F dealer was only charging $7k for the engine out and naturally it can be done for about half that at some independent shops. My justification is; The belt/ water pump kit on high side is $1200 (can be put together for less) and the book calls for approx 40hrs labor (always on the high side) just thinking off the top of my head.

16. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    #16 MS250, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
    You really need to determine what service means.

There are also shops around that will quote, but then when the car is in 10,000 pieces a few non discussed items come up. In that 7k are plugs changed and gaped? Fuel filters? All oils and rad flushed ? Valves shimmed and adjusted? I am going to assume NOT.

Changing 2 belts and a water pump is a basic service....on the description of the car mentioned above I HIGHLY doubt it needs just a basic engine out service.

These threads really are not gospel, there estimates as each car is a tad different as well as the owners expectation. The TR/348/355/bb are cars that once are open should address other things NOW, as opposed to buttoning it up to only go back in a few years later.

Being penny wise really becomes pound foolish in short order.

17. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    An engine out with tensioners, water pump rebuild, thermostats and a surprise or two will not cost less than 10k add a clutch and you are at 13. I can show you the 18k I spent in 06 for that plus a fuse box and muffler

18. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    #18 sherrillt, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
    Every shop is different, but I also did everything mentioned above on my major plus, all hoses, alignment, and the mentioned few other "surprises" with electrical items and breaks 2-3 years ago at a reputable local Ferrari specialty shop (an Fchat sponsor) and paid less on my 512TR. I would have to go look up the receipt for the exact number, but I think I came in around just under $15k (included a full detail) - this is real invoiced work as well. Not trying to start dueling invoices, but the numbers presented are on the high side IMO and most likely not what the OP should expect.

Let's say he pays $1300 for a full kit and the full boat dealer loaded book hours of 43hrs labor at $150 = $7750; $5000 for a clutch which are all on the excessively high side by almost 1/3 in every way....we are still under $13k, so I see your assessment as worst case not most likely.

19. Rostami6

Rostami6 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2013
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Amir
    This estimate seems more accurate. I just finished my engine out at a very reputable shop. I wanted to take it to the Ferrari dealer here since they normally do the work on my 430. I have a pretty good relationship with them so I know they don't give me the run around. The service manager gave me an estimate which included everything the car would need (NOT including the unforeseen) and it was just over $11,600.00. At the end the independent did the work for me. I had them do it since they had done the last engine out for the previous owner. My total ended up being just under 14K which included a rebuild on water pump and AC compressor and one of the radiators. To be fair I had them do EVRYTHING they saw that needed attention. I still have to rebuild my brake booster (probably around $1,200.00 parts and labor) and throw in a new set of tires (already installed) and I am around 16K. My car did not need carpet or leather work and needed no body work but you can see how quickly it adds up. Granted you can get the work done cheaper elsewhere. But IMO this is not where you want to be cheap.

20. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    #20 sparta49, Oct 15, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
    here is the kit from Ricambi 1750.00 does not include thermostats ( 217.80 each) or water pump rebuild kit 100.00 = or - or spark plugs 120.00 + or - so about another 655.00 +1750 so lets say 2500.00 in parts, this doesn't include brake fluid, coolant, oil, or refrigerent

4 x CAM SEAL
    4 x CAM O-RING
    1 x SQ VAC PUMP GASKET
    1 x VAC PUMP O-RING
    1 x LEFT VC GASKET ** Early TR uses different gasket. MUST make selection below **
    1 x RIGHT VC GASKET ** Early TR uses different gasket. MUST make selection below **
    12 x CAM COVER O-RING
    2 x TENSIONER BEARING
    2 x TR TIMING BELT
    2 x FUEL FILTER
    1 x AIR PUMP BELT
    1 x LONG DRAIN HOSE
    1 x SHORT DRAIN HOSE
    2 x GASKET
    2 x DIST PLATE GASKET
    2 x DIST SEAL
    2 x DIST CAP GASKET
    2 x DIST CAP BRUSH
    1 x ALT BELT ** Early TR uses different alternator belt. MUST make selection below **
    1 x A/C BELT
    1 x OIL FILTER
    1 x WATER HOSE
    1 x END PLATE GASKET
    4 x CAM BOLT O-RING
    1 x AIR FILTER

So lets say 6450.00 labor, 2500.00 kit including thermostats, plugs, and water pump rebuild.(was this labor included in the 6450?) plus 3K for the clutch, plus 300.00 fluids and refrigerant) puts us at 12, 250 not including say a surprise of a cracked distributer cap 400 - 900 each or tax .