512TR Battery warning light question | FerrariChat

512TR Battery warning light question

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by dontilgon, Oct 10, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dontilgon

dontilgon Formula Junior

May 30, 2011
    NY/PA
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    #1 dontilgon, Oct 10, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
    Under mid to hard accelaration (especially first into second)my battery warning light flickers. When the rpm drop the light stays off. I was thinking of having the alternator rebuilt.Any ideas what may cause this?

2. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Most of the times just worn brushes.

3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I do not understand right: when you accelerate then you not shift. because during acceleration you can not shift.
    so as I understand when you drive the car and shift from 1st into 2nd the alternator light flickers. does it then flicker with full intensity or only half or less at bright as normal when on?

may be the belt is too loosen or there is a wire not really tighten.

normaly the light only stays completely on when the output of the alternator is less then 4 volts. if the output is between 4 and 9 volts the light also stays on but not so shiny.

but when the light flickers then it is a sign for not good contact somewhere. may be the bulb itself? use a multimeter to check.

this flickering is only from 1st into 2nd and then only when you accelerate very hard?

4. dontilgon

dontilgon Formula Junior

May 30, 2011
    NY/PA
    Full Name:
    Joseph
  5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    that is strange now:

when I see it right the light will go on when you accelerate at about 2000 rpm to 4000 and when you shift into next gear the light i soff and then again on over 3000rpm

this is really strange to me. you have the same problem when the car is standing and you let the engine run with 4000 rpm? or is this only during driving?

what will happen when you go over 4000?

best would be as I mentioned earlier to check with a multimeter. then you see what is wrong or not and can go on .

6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I tested here on my alternator bench several things

as I see it on youtube your light is very shiny, so more than you only switch on the ignition? right?
    if so then the alternator delivers too much voltage and the regultor at the back of the alternator has to be changed

7. dontilgon

dontilgon Formula Junior

May 30, 2011
    NY/PA
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Thanks Romano , I tested the alternator at idle and get a reading of 14.4 at the battery. I will rev it up while I have someone taking the reading at the battery tomorrow to see what it reads . I'll report back

8. dontilgon

dontilgon Formula Junior

May 30, 2011
    NY/PA
    Full Name:
    Joseph
  9. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    such a problem until now I never had :(
    but if the alternator brings steady 14 or more volt to the battery then the alternator seems to be working fine.
    now you may check on the alternator: you have one thick wire and one thin wire. disconnect this thin wire ( if you cannot reach right you may check the 9 cable connector in the engine compartement left - C 11 - it is the GV cable - giallo-verde, yellow green ) and check with a voltmeter this yellow green wire if there is ground when the engine is not running. then start the engine and see what happen. normaly on this wire then there is also 14 volts. if not then it is a problem of the alternator.
    otherwise you may go on looking.
    the indicator in the instrument get 12 volt from the ignition key by the GN ( giallo nero - yellow black ) wire and ground by the GV wire. only when the engine is running the GV wire also has 14 Volt and the indicator lamp is off.
    so you may check then also the GV wire direct at the indicator lamp same as on connector C 11.
    hope this helps again a little?

10. dontilgon

dontilgon Formula Junior

May 30, 2011
    NY/PA
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Thanks Joe, I'll give it a try this weekend and report back.