1995 512M on ebay | FerrariChat

1995 512M on ebay

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by jsiucho, Oct 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jsiucho

jsiucho Rookie

Mar 11, 2014
  2. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    no matter how many times I see it, the TR still makes me drool

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    they are all selling over $300k now!?!

4. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

That was my question as well. Also, i thought that getting a classiche certification was more detailed and expensive than what is described on the invoice.

5. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    The amount showed on the invoice for the classiche is what the dealer charge for the labour to inspect the car. The classiche binder from Ferrari is around $4500 which comes later when the car has been approved by them from the pictures and report.

6. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Only 73 F512M's are in the USA. #59 was totaled in an accident in Washington State. And then there's #72... The slutmobile. But I agree, these prices are getting silly.

Joe

7. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    I remember seeing on at Ferrari of Washington for $200,000 a couple years ago and thinking that was high!

8. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    It was - the bubble grows larger

9. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    At least it's been driven. I don't think it's a CPO car, however?

10. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    what please is a CPO car?

11. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Certified Pre-Owned.

If the car is CPO'd, manufacturer slaps on an extended warranty. Must be done by authorized dealership.

CW

12. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    thanks for explaining :)

13. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Forgive if this has been asked and answered before....BUT....what is the REAL difference bwtn the USA Numbered (75) cars and the remaining 425 Euro cars?

Style/mechanicals/materials etc etc? The price rise is explained by "well, it IS one of only 75".....but really, given that the "other" 425 exist....it is not one of 75. So, is there any functional difference bwtn the two?

Ferrari has always been genius at marketing.....I guess the Euro cars do not come with the little metal SN tag?

Jack

14. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    in 2019, there will be no difference at all........

15. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    Contrary to what people think, there is nothing actually special about a CPO. It is just nice marketing and nothing more than just a cursory check by a dealer (ensuring no preexisting conditions) when they submit the apllication to buy the warranty. People just have a sense of security when the term “Certified” is affixed on a window.

I had a wholesale deal years ago at BMW where we backed the car out of CPO essentially a “warranty fee refund” and the dealer got refunded what they paid for the warranty because I did not want it.

16. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    They completely skipped the $200-$299k price range as it wasn't adequate?
    Is every Ferrari going nuts on pricing?

The US market is the one in play where sales will be higher and buyers more knowledgeable about the 512M

17. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Well, CPO involves an "inspection" by the dealer, even if mostly cosmetic. It is not to be confused with an in-depth PPI. In particular, they are looking for evidence of collision damage (among other things). For example, the vehicle is supposed to have the original paint. Even that, however, has clearly been fudged from time to time.

It's not a perfect process that produces a perfect result, but it is something that a) gives some level of confidence (and some stamp of approval that FNA will back) and b) tacks on an extended warranty. This is designed to give some peace of mind and make selling an expensive used car with an unknown-to-you history somewhat easier.

However, it is true that even CPO cars have issues. And, unscrupulous dealers have CPO'd cars, even though they were ineligible.

CW

18. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    before a car can be sold as CPO, the dealer must correct any problems(at the dealership expense), however, many dealers "overlook" the problems, CPO the car, only to then repair the problems after being sold. that allows the dealer to charge the repairs to the factory.

19. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    Exactly why I say it is useless and purely a marketing tool (very effective one at that). Most CPO programs allow for body work as long as it is correct to standards w/OEM parts; which everyone will agree it is too hard to tell if a fender after install and paint is OE or reproduction in most cases. Certification translates into nothing more than a purchase of an extended warranty, nothing more. You either pay upfront or assume the risk yourself. There is nothing special about a CPO and I say the same in regards to the Classique program (based on photos), where I even read there was a case where a Ferrari replica was certified (possibly an internet myth, but most have basis linked to reality).