How Hot Does your BB Water Temp Get? | FerrariChat

How Hot Does your BB Water Temp Get?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by 2dinos, Oct 13, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Driving the car in bad traffic with A/C on, and it's ~ 90+ outside, the BBi water temp was reading about 100 C+ consistently. I didn't notice any characteristics of overheating, but that just seemed on the hot side. When I got on the freeway, it didn't drop much if any. Still quite hot out. I checked the radiator for air, and it looks good. Header tank is at right level. I also checked sender calibration with thermocouple, and it correlated to gage.

Appreciate any observations.

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I also once had this problem with my BB

took out the radiator to the radiator shop, new net inside, the original fans removed ( I still have them of course ) and put on 2 high speed fans to the inside ( so the fans then are not blowing as original, they are sucking ) and since then I only have sometimes after high rpm on the autobahn temperature from about 105 °C, but this is just going down to about 95°C again.

may be you check your thermostat? it may open to late?

3. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    '79 BB512, Usually 90C max in normal driving conditions. Once hit 100C while stuck in traffic for a long time in 90+ (F) ambient temps, although there was no indication of trouble.

4. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

90 c when rolling. 100 c and the fans come on like clock work.

5. bikerider

bikerider Karting

Feb 19, 2012
    Maryland
    this is one thing i worry about with my 83 BBi. it gets up to 90 reasonably fast, and will stay there until i hit traffic. then it goes a notch or two pass. no signs of running poorly, just worries me...it seems like it wants to overheat. the fans come on and run strong...everything is working.

6. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    All should try that all coolant fans actually turn easily.
    I just have one 308 (share similar Jaguar fan) that has one fan solid.

7. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Thanks for all of the replies. I'm thinking all is well. It wasn't acting like anything is wrong. Needle wasn't bouncing, and it never climbed any higher even though AC was on the whole time. Thermostat is new, and replaced during my EO service. Radiator flush was totally normal. Drives great.

On a slightly different subject, I wish AC cooled a bit better. If it didn't work, it would be un-drivable in hot weather.