87 testarossa hi torque starter | FerrariChat

87 testarossa hi torque starter

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by jamesrobba, Oct 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jamesrobba

jamesrobba Karting

Dec 5, 2005
    north downey, calif.
    Full Name:
    james joseph robba
    #1 jamesrobba, Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
    hello my ferrari guys and girls - question to all of you - i am thinking of installing a hi-torque starter - for mind was giving me problems again - over heating - i did do the mod - but if it get hot -it will not start - my question has any one tried the hi -torque starter -is there any problem with putting one on - it's lighter - stays cool - stronger - but i would like to put it out there to see what you guys think please -it's on ebay - cost 319.84 - the solenold stay cool does not over heat for starting - so please if anyone has any input - please put it out there - thank you jim - and have 60th to all my ferrari friends . be cool

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    a link please to the ebay article

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    You seem to be assigning mythical "improvements" -- a "high-torque" starter still has a solenoid that is required to operate in an identical way and is an identical thermal environment (when not actually operating). If your symptom is slow starter motor RPM during cranking, or the starter RPM droops off rapidly during cranking = maybe a "high torque" starter would give improvement. If your symptom is the solenoid never engages at all during warm restarts = it won't do anything "better" (other than just being a different solenoid if your trouble is the existing solenoid itself).

What is the exact symptom that you are having?

4. Testarossa Lover

Testarossa Lover F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    Steve to the rescue... :)

5. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    James,
    Listen to Steve and go see my thread titled Starter Saga Sequel where you'll read interesting stuff about that ;$/<#} part of your car... :D

6. jamesrobba

jamesrobba Karting

Dec 5, 2005
    north downey, calif.
    Full Name:
    james joseph robba
    thank you for your feedback - a little infor for steve please - which is the man- wanted to put that out there please - the hi torque starter is lighter - provides 525 plus ft lbs- heat resistant solenoid- vented solenoid- better heat resistance- improved heat resistance and durability-low amp draw is less easier on aging electrical systems - power is 1.4 kw/1.88 hp - i am just putting it out there what i have been reading about it - for mind steve is find starting - but if you drive it for 2 to 3 hours and try to start it - it will not - it has to cool down - or i have to tap on the solenoid or starter it self - i have been reading all the threads on starter problems - they are all the same as what i have - no problem starting - but driving and then wanted to start the car with out cooling the starter down will not start - i have done the mod to the solenoid - changed the solenoid - and work find - but running the car for hours the starter gets heat soaked - the # of the hi-torque starter on ebay is 370995561976 - please steve i would like to look at it and tell me what you think please - you are the man and i take what you say big time - thank you very very much jim

7. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Always worries me a little when a supplier specifies a single particular model year for a TR part (a starter that works on a 1991 US TR should fit any 1985-1991 US TR), and I didn't realize that a replacement for a TR would work on a 308 (but that very well may be so). The one technical downside I see is that it looks like it only has a terminal 50 connection on the solenoid; whereas, a US TR solenoid has terminal 50 and switched terminal 15a. If both those wires are connected to terminal 50, it should work OK, but it will increase the amount of current flowing thru ignition switch some (but maybe I'm just not seeing everything in the photos). Have to agree that the price is perfectly reasonable vs getting another Bosch SR488X (and the F price is ridiculous ;)).

I'd still suggest that you actually determine if the problem is heat soak at the solenoid or an electrical problem in the white wire food chain going to terminal 50 on the solenoid (since my TR now warm restarts flawlessly in roasting TX summer, I'd be more suspicious of the latter). For example, if you measure the voltage on the white wire connected to terminal 50 at the solenoid (while it is still connected) during starting and get:

cold start = 8~9V and starter works perfectly
    warm restart = 8~9V and nothing happens
    justifies a heat soak diagnosis

however, if you get something like:
    cold start = 8~9V and starter works perfectly
    warm restart = 0~2V and nothing happens
    I'd be more suspicious of the white wire food chain or the solenoid winding itself

I've found the white wire connections at the fuse-relay panel to be extremely flaky (even when they look OKish visually) and added a direct jumper from the white wire in the w connector to the white wire in the y connector - see post #21 here:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/boxers-tr-m/364105-ferraristarters-com-tr-3.html

Also, the spade connector under the coolant expansion tank is another known connection trouble area.

Good Hunting, and please do give us some feedback if you do try the gear-reduction starter.

8. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Next time it happens, try routing 12v from the battery directly to the solenoid and see if it cranks. I've had this problem on another car and the issue was actually the ignition switch not providing a full 12v to the solenoid so when it was hot, it wouldn't have enough juice to get the solenoid to click. There are two solutions, new ignition switch (and eventually you have the problem again) or an additional solenoid in line with the ignition switch somewhere cool that will provide full battery voltage to the solenoid on the starter. I went with the extra solenoid solution and never had the problem again. You can also try divorcing the solenoid from the starter and moving it somewhere it won't get so hot.

9. james.robba.9

james.robba.9 Rookie

Oct 21, 2014
  10. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    thanks for the link.
    looks not bad for a good price :)
    somebody here has experience already with this starter?

11. Jeff Pintler

Jeff Pintler Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2005
    Richland
    Full Name:
    Jeff Pintler
    A good friend installed a hi-torq starter in his 911 and about every two years he was sending it back for a rebuild. Sometimes "Newer and Better" isn't. FWIW

Jeff Pintler
    89 348tb, 86tr, 99 360 3-pedal, 05 S-160 Bobcat

12. jamesrobba

jamesrobba Karting

Dec 5, 2005
    north downey, calif.
    Full Name:
    james joseph robba
    hello guys got my hi torque starter looks nice - but the hook up's are not the same as the testarossa starter for looking at the picture of the hi -torque starter there are only one lug and a connector - whats up with that - can any one please give me a little help on this please on hooking this this hi- torque starter - for the testarossa has 4 hook up's on a 87 to hook up - and this hi- torque starter only has 2 - please see the page before this for the picture of the hi-torque starter - thanks for any help - did not come with no wiring diagram for hook up - not cool - i am thing about sent it back - thanks jim - ps if steve is out there i need some help please thank as always to all - good day jim

13. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    Looks like a sequel to my ferarristaters.com adventures...Get a refund and move on...The starter I got had a flange that did not fit my 85 TR...I finally bought an OEM from a FPIMP. Good luck!

14. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The large battery cable and the GR (yellow/red) wire with the large loop terminal should both be connected to the large thread stud terminal.

The BL (white/blue) wire and the B (white) wire with the 1/4" female spade terminals should both be connected to the single male 1/4" spade terminal (so you'll need to fabricate some sort of short adapter "Y" cable or get some sort of "combining" adapter terminal that connects two female to one male -- and assume all responsibility for any impact on the ignition switch life, if any, as I mentioned earlier).

But please also let us know how it physically fits (or not).

15. jamesrobba

jamesrobba Karting

Dec 5, 2005
    north downey, calif.
    Full Name:
    james joseph robba
    thank you steve - a little feedback - this company that makes the starter's are in whittier calif -company called imi performance product inc - 13432 lambert rd - whittier , ca 90605 - phone # 562-907-9400 - check them out on line they make starter's for all cars - very well done i been told . like you said about this starter - i see them make a adaptor plate so it will fit other models of ferrari's and other cars - they make alot of hi -torque starters for all cars - very easy to install - very light weight -- but the hook up is the problem - thank you steve for you infor going to hook it up this week - just please the wire off the hi-torque starter - what would that hook to -i was reading your hook up infor - what is the wire for please i will post picture - but very easy installed - fits no problem yet i hope thank you to all - best jim

16. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    I just installed an IMI Hi Torque Starter (#159-04) in my 52,000 mile 512TR which has the identical "no start when hot" problemo. Perfect fit, 4 minute install. New starter sounds faster and much quieter than the old Denso unit (which is itself 6 mos old). I will post results next long trip.

17. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    When I tried installing the hi torq starter to my 91 Testarossa the airbox would not fit back on .

18. jamesrobba

jamesrobba Karting

Dec 5, 2005
    north downey, calif.
    Full Name:
    james joseph robba
    hi - torque starter there is a adaptor plate on the front that can be moved in 3 positions - it has two allen screws - i had to do it on mind and i worked no problem - it layed the starter down to clear the airbox - also imi has a y wire for early testarossa's for the bosch starters - still waiting on it - coming from whittier calif - call them @ 562-907-9400 - they will make up any adaptor needed to position you stater correctly . hope it helps - going to hook the stater up this weekend - will take pictures - but it does look cool - thanks jim

19. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    I drovbe 140 miles today with total 2 hot, 2 cold starts. No issues. New IMI starter functioned perfectly where the Denso unit failed. No ther mods except changing starters. But this is only one day. Time will tell if problem is solved.

20. tvu

tvu Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Trieu
    That's a great to hear Jim. Thanks for the update on the trip.

21. lasvegascop

lasvegascop Karting

Apr 12, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    &quot;Ski&quot;
    Hmmmmmmm......Any updates from the OP? I am thinking about dropping one in myself....

Sick n tired of my starter failing at the wrong time!! ALL THE TIME! Lordy.....

22. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Second outing today, 106 miles at highway speed, 2 cold starts, one hot start, no problems.

23. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    Steve M alluded to this earlier but on most cars (all makes), problems with the solenoid clicking and not engaging when hot are virtually never the starter.

Most starters need more voltage to engage when they are hot, so any voltage drop in the wiring affects hot starting first. Such as, badly-wired after-market immobiliser, corroded connector contacts etc.

Having said that, replacing with a lightweight starter will often work around the wiring issue because they need less voltage/current to engage.

24. jamesrobba

jamesrobba Karting

Dec 5, 2005
    north downey, calif.
    Full Name:
    james joseph robba
    hello guys and steve i hope - for tomorrow the new starter is going to be checked out by hi torque imi in whittier for i feel it's not working - the hi torque starter comes with 2 hooks up's - so i asked steve and you guys by looking at the picture wiring hook up well steve wrote in black and white but the starter will not engage - so again steve please this is what i have done - the 2 large connectors - size 50 hook up to the new starter correct one is yellow the other is off the battery so that is correct- then there is a conect on the new high torque starter that hi- torque company in whittier sented me a "y" jumper that would connect to the blue/white and the other white wire- not hard to do - i could hear the sol. chick but the starter is not ENGAGING - why please note the "y" connect they sented me has a diode in it so no feedback to the ign switch - what am i doing wrong - could it be a bad starter - just my luck - bring it to imi in whittier tomorrow - both starters - well steve i could sent pictures if needed please thanks you guys are great - very cool and steve thank you if you can guide me a little please for i am ready to sent it back - but i don't want to give up yet!