Poor differential! | FerrariChat

Poor differential!

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by rpissm, Oct 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
  2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    they may have in phill´s diff :) with lifetime guarantee

but poor gearbox :( :( :(

3. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    They will pay the price Joe .... sure they will !

4. dinos

dinos Karting

Jan 6, 2013
    Athens - Greece
    Full Name:
    Dinos
    From the background it looks to me that the video was taken in a port yard at night !!!!

Most likely the owner of the car don't have any idea ........... that his car was raped !!!

I shipped my car last with a ship and I was present at the loading and I took a plane and I was present at the unloading.......... My friends told me that I was paranoid !! but I will show them this video.......

Also if you search on youtube for videos of how they load / unload cars in Roro ships you will think twice before shipping your cars !!!

5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    from 1983 to 1992 I imported cars from LA area to me here and I put all in a container by myself in LA harbor , locked it after customer inspection and opened this container again here in my harbor with the german custom.

first car I braught over has been roll on- roll off and it was damaged very bad, so never again

6. DreamCarrera

DreamCarrera Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2006
    S.E. PA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Wow, if that is a case of shipping company employees abusing this car then that is REALLY not cool!!! To make matters worse, you can hear the engine mercilessly banging off the rev limiter as the idiot performs the burnout. This is a case where I would love to see that employee identified and canned for this(and I'm sure many other similar occurrences) act. To abuse someone's hard earned(and expensive) property in this fashion is inexcusable...

I recently sold a 1984 Porsche 911 to a German buyer and I was a bit paranoid about the thought of the shipping company abusing/damaging the car while it was in their possession. This fear was NOT put to rest by the fact that the tow truck driver who picked up the car apparently didn't know how to drive a stick(when attempting to pull the car up to the tow truck he stalled the car because he was trying to pull out in 2nd gear). I got the distinct feeling that he was not too experienced in driving stick shift cars due to his actions(pulling out in 2nd gear, abruptly letting clutch out, etc). Luckily, upon seeing this, I offered to pull the car up to the truck but I cringe at the thought of the car's handling once it left my sight. I'll end my rant here...

7. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Is there a consensus on the differential issue? Clear it does exist and is very pricey but is there any solid data on the failure rate or is this issue limited to certain years/serial numbers at this point. I know there are prior post on this, but I wondered if a consensus had developed by this point.

8. redzone

redzone Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 31, 2007
    Beach
    Full Name:
    John
    By looking at the video its hard to really say where it was but the way its being driven indicates the person in the drivers seat isn't the owner or just doesn't care at all about the impending breakages that could occur. He revved the piss out of it. Whew, I was just waiting for the loud bang.

9. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    For years I have been the one to say it's not needed, but in truth, it's a matter of when to change it not if on all these cars.

About 3 yrs ago I developed a light 3rd gear vibration while cruising, not on acceleration. Or deceleration, but on cruising. Last year (2013) early in the season I developed a thump when I let go of the clutch in 1st gear on very low rpm....and it was sporadic. It only happened every once in a while ..... For 2014 summer both thumping and 3rd gear vibration were much more present .... I sort of parked the car this year in the summer of 2014 as I was busy anyway.

Went to do my major service a few weeks ago - pulled the tranny off the diff anyway - my original diff had 2 hair line cracks with a flash light under the bench. My car has 63,000kms and I've owned it for 15 yrs right now nov 2014. Never did a burnout or abused this car EVER.
    I clean it with a diaper ;)

I changed the diff, did the service , looked over the tranny and anything related. Had the car 2 weeks now, drove it 3 times.....no longer do I have the 3rd gear vibration on cruising, and I have not heard the thump upon 1 gear launch.

You decide :D

10. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    as MEL always says:
    it is not a question if the diff will fail, only a question when
    so again one more replaced

11. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #11 Melvok, Oct 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Clearly you did nor read all threads about it ! Pitty ... but O.K. :) .... have a look here and start at page 1 !
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    And some people insist TR's don't have rev limiters.

We used to see that all the time when the cars were new, still do sometimes. People would pull out of the dealer driveway and do it right in front of the store. A few years ago people used to post video of them doing that on FChat. That is why were are seeing broken diffs now.

13. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    What would be of interest is if the 288gto and f40 if they had the same diff , as this was the same period with roughly the same to more hp.

14. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #14 Rifledriver, Oct 19, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
    Neither had as much weight on the rear wheels and the 288 didn't have any torque. Torque is what breaks things. Also few were treated that way. It was really common with the TR's just like the Daytonas before them. Daytonas in their day were famous for destroying gearboxes. That's why there have been no parts for them in ages. I have a client who is the original owner of his Daytona. The day he bought it he bought a spare trans. He destroyed the first and put in the spare, He bought another spare but learned his lesson and quit driving the car that way. He still has the spare. I offered him $40,000 for it a 15 or so years ago and he turned it down.

15. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I wonder a little:
    in the parts catalog there the diff of the 288, F40, 348, mondial ( old numbers 11326,101626, 103262 ) are all changed to 147258, but not the same as the TR family have

16. petearron

petearron Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 1, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    jeff
    Ferris Bueller lol

17. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    what you mean??????

18. dinos

dinos Karting

Jan 6, 2013
    Athens - Greece
    Full Name:
    Dinos
    #18 dinos, Oct 19, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
    According to my mechanic the Daytona, Boxer, Testarossa have similar diff problem with the 512TR.

Because of there lower power and torque can last longer.

He even showed me in his warehouse several revised diff for all this cars ! also he showed me the broken ones of each model ! ( some caused minor problems and some real disasters ! )

The diff is a real nightmare and I will change mine during my next major. ( I believe that anyone that wants to have piece mind must consider replace the diff during a major. The cost is around euro 2000 and a huge risk / potential problem is gone )

Next week I will do my first track day with my 512tr and my diff will be my only concern !

19. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Actually, I have read quite a few of the threads. As I recall, many favor preventative replacement. Others have suggested the issue was not as wide spread and did not seem particluarly concerned, at least not to the point where they were parking their calls until the one piece differential can be installed.

Personally, I think I be a bit timid about not doing the preventative replacement, but the one I inquired about by Foxyroxygirl suggested the issue had been addressed.

20. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Ask for proof. I they can't, drain the oïl and check with a boroscope if it's feasible..

21. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Thank you Mel! Please not another thread on this and how could anyone doubt that there is a real problem??

22. DreamCarrera

DreamCarrera Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2006
    S.E. PA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    This guy apparently didn't get the memo regarding the diff either...oh well, at least he knows his rev limiter is working.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWk0THwG5Ik]ferrari testarossa donut/burnout @ cars and coffee NL - YouTube[/ame]

23. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    I can assure you: he payed the price: K$20 !!!

24. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    BTW, when does the rev limiter kick in? The factory red-line of, what, 6800? Or higher?

25. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Old video,been posted before yrs ago.

I'm sure some of you rookies now own these cars ;) :p