1 of 38 but not this one.. | FerrariChat

1 of 38 but not this one..

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by msdesignltd, Oct 21, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #1 msdesignltd, Oct 21, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
    So supposedly there are only 38 American 1994 512TR's
    But if I read this right..this car was commissioned in Europe and imported and does not contain the correct amount of serial #'s..so this is not one of the 38..hence a gray market.
    None the less...this trend of escalation continues...This marks the first time a TR exceeds the 200 g mark on ebay....except for the M
    Interesting times!

Notice the ID tag on the strakes, outside of jamb!
    Also, wouldn't the sppedo have been swapped out from KLM to MPH...?

Ferrari Testarossa | eBay

2. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    There are a lot more than 38 1994 USA model 512 TRs - probably twice that number, at least.

But the car in the ad is not a '94, it's a '93. It was originally built for Switzerland, and it was built in the Spring/Fall of '93. At the time, Ferrari was already building USA and CDN 1994 model year cars for North America; but they don't do model years in Europe the way we do here - so 97532 is a '93, not a '94.

Also, I didn't see any plaque on the exterior strakes, and it seems as though the speed- and odometers were already converted from kilometers to miles.

3. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #3 msdesignltd, Oct 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Never saw a tag in this location
    sitting inside the air foil on the solid strake.
    when door is closed you probably cannot see it.

What would be the definitive # of US.94's.. How to know?? FML?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Ah, I see it now. US cars all got data plates - a data plate is a square metal* plate affixed to, or near, the door jamb, and into which is stamped the car's VIN as well as the car's month and year date of production. Since European cars didn't receive a data plate, US-converted cars would get a similar plate or tag after importation and conversion. Like your M, the standard placement for a data plate on a TR is just above the door sill where the bottom corner of the door meets the jamb.

*Ferrari stopped using metal for data plates, and introduced quickly fading and eroding stickers with the 599.

I stand by my guesstimate that there are between 80-100 1994 USA model 512 TRs. But the best places for a more accurate number would be either the Ferrari Market Letter, or to contact our resident TR expert Edvar van Daalen.

5. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    UPDATE...from FML

Ok still less than 100 is good..on par with 512M

__________________________________________________________________________________________

According to our website, there were 2,261 512 TRs produced from 1991-1994. We have a total of 1,409 identified – and of that number, we have 58 identified as 1994 USA model.

Cathy Roush
    Ferrari Market Letter

6. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    Good looking car. Appears to be the same September/Dallas Mecum auction car that was discussed and noted that the gavel went down at $119k - but now with some creative marketing verbage to spice it up to make the asking $200k OBO.

The White one on their site looks very nice as well.

7. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I like the seat belts...and it has an electric oil cooler fan that was only on Euro cars

8. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ

Too soon, WAY too soon...