TR: Is there a better Value? | FerrariChat

TR: Is there a better Value?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by TKO, Oct 22, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TKO

TKO Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Tom Kearns
    Big Red made an interesting comment in another post that got me thinking. With the majority of current Testarossa's trading hands in the $50-$70K Range (correct me if i'm wrong, and i know there are exceptions high and low) is there another car that costs roughly the same that gives an equal or even 'better' owner experience? Better being defined as fun-to-drive, performance, sound, looks, maintenance, comfort, usability, Marque, pride, etc. I realize this will be totally subjective ...

2. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Hell no, for the same money as I low mileage 328/355 I got a flat 12cyl Ferrari exotic!!!! And they only made 7,199 of 'em for crying out loud!!!!

3. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    That fact that 4 posters ( owners ) in that other thread would run to sell if they got $100k that should tell you all you need to know.

4. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    Tells me that 4 guys are willing to make a profit. nothing wrong with that, and they will soon enough get it. Just being the last of the 5spd mid engine flat 12 in a world of Electric cars will make them all priceless. The exquisite style of the car is Legendary to boot.

5. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    Did anyone not read that article two months ago in Car and Driver? magazine. They drove both a TR and a Countach in Miami and ALL of them loved the TR. Hated the Lambo

6. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Old school rear engine Ferrari V12 performance and sound... seriously? for that money?? :)

AlexW posted a really nice write up recently on this topic but in relation to the 512TR, I couldn't add anything to what he said:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/143350109-post16.html

7. DreamCarrera

DreamCarrera Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2006
    S.E. PA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Yeah, it was a good article. It was in R&T, here's a link: Miami Vice: Driving the era's exotics, 30 years later - Road & Track

As far as a "better value" car for the price of admission to a TR question is concerned...there are a lot of great cars out there(both new and old) in this price range which will make coming to any kind of consensus on this question nearly impossible. However, many here in this section of FChat have spoken with their wallets and many of them would say the answer to this question is "no".

I am sure of this; however, when it comes to Ferraris there is not a better value than the TR in today's market IMVHO.

8. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    Four owners have seen the light at the end of the worm hole before it closes...

9. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    Quite Unlikely, If that occurred then I would urge you to buy one yourself. It May then improve your perspective on the TR.

10. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Its a Ferrari you can park in your driveway for 50k. Buy it if you like it. Don't buy it just because it's a Ferrari you can afford.

Yes there are plenty of other cars out there that would be far more fun to drive. But they don't have the horse on the hood. IMHO a testarossa is not a fun car to drive. It's cool because of what it is, but not fun.

11. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Sure, 355 is significantly faster, more fun on back roads, easier to drive in urban areas, has one of the best exhaust notes of any car ever made and is one of the best looking Ferraris since the 60's. It's also a little cheaper to buy and maintain.

However, if you're buying a Ferrari based on bang for the buck you're doing it wrong.

12. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    bobzdar,
    Your statements are incorrect.
    Rgds,
    Vincenzo

13. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime Formula Junior

May 10, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I don't feel there is a better value. I have a jaguar and a 88TR. The Jaguar cost me twice what I paid for the TR (it had a few lumps that I sorted). Every once on a while someone will comment on the Jag, but the TR is amazing. The other day I gave a friend a ride and when I got to his house the neighbor hood came out. one guy said I heard it coming and I knew it was not your regular car. We had a blast an everywhere we stopped we got comments. The next day my friend showed one of the engineers the picture of us with the car (black on black) and he told me a while later 5 other engineers came to hi office to see the picture. You tell me what other car will do that for $50k?

Tom

14. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    So you bought it to get attention? Not because it's "history"?

15. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    355 is not cheaper to maintain. It is far more expensive.

16. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #16 JoeZaff, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
    FWIW, I think it is misleading to consider a maintenance whore like an old Ferrari to be a "value" in the traditional sense of the term. In terms of regular maintenance expenses, there is barely a regular production ferrari built in the last 30 plus years that costs more to maintain. That doesn't include the more vigilant preventative maintenance you should be doing on a 25 plus year old exotic. Sorry, the testarossa is an icon, perhaps the best regular production car they ever made. It is beautiful and astonishingly inexpensive for what it is... But any car that requires its entire drivetrain to be removed periodically for maintenance is not a value and those who can afford the entry price but not the maintenance only screw them up for the next guy. IMHO, the best "value" in the ferrari kingdom is currently the 360. Prices have stabilized, they are inexpensive to maintain and bulletproof.

17. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    My old 355 was MUCH more expensive to maintain than any of my TR's...
    and let me say this...the 355 WAS a great drive..until the 360 came out...which was then overshadowed by the 430....

NOTHING has replaced the TR series

18. ace355

ace355 Formula Junior

May 23, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Chris
    From my experience, maintaining a TR is far cheaper than a F355. Consider yourself lucky if this has worked out for you!

19. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #19 bobzdar, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
    Which?

They're both expensive to maintain, both require engine out belt service, 355 has valve guide issues, tr has exploding differentials, the other suiff is fairly comparable but the main differentiator is that it's much easier to get 355 parts.

There is no debating that the 355 is quicker in any meaningful performance measure except perhaps top speed, but both are in the 180+range. Those are all bang for the buck considerations, and none of them really matter because you don't buy a tr or a 355 for those reasons. If those were your reasons for buying a car, you'd buy a c6 z06 for $20k less and 1/10 the maintenance costs and blow them both into the weeds.

20. TKO

TKO Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Tom Kearns
    I asked the question here out of curiosity of what others think. For me though, I can't think of another car (from any Marque) that presents such value currently. I mean this is/was Ferrari's flagship supercar of the era! It's immediately recognizable as a Ferrari. There is no mistaking it for anything else. A true Icon of its time. 360's and 355's are nice cars for sure and have their strengths, but IMHO the V8 cars seem much more 'common' and not as nearly 'special' as the Iconic TR. This is the reason why I'm a new owner. Of course I could be biased coming from the land of Dino.

21. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    for about 45k € ( 55 k US $ ) you may get a new BMW 520 and you will loose in 2 years minimum 40 %

if you buy a TR for this money in 2 years you will get if all will go wrong the same money you payed, may be more.

so what is now the better value???

22. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    My TR is my most prized possession. I sold my last one because I hit a bump in the financial road and broke even (2006). I could have bought it back for 15K less 2 years later. Last time I saw it, it was for sale in Tamp for 15k over what I paid.

The reality is I have a family and my well loved TR is sizable asset. If something catastrophic would happen, it would be gone.

But I would get another by hell or high water. The TR is the most beautiful design and amazing auto created in the last century.

23. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    I totally disagree with this comment.. for me. the car is fun to drive.. She makes you work.. A good hour drive plus.. you get out of the car in a sweat because you worked.. Thats the part I love.. We are starting to get into a weird place for the TR.. Values are on the rise and she is getting the attention she deserves. What comes along with that?
    Owners that buy the car and are obsessed with checking the values everyday to see if they are on the rise then only to say "you see, she's worth $1,000 more today".. Do we like our cars to appreciate? Yes.. there is a difference.. I care more about the car and the experience.. Yes I dont want to loose my shirt.. totally agree.. maybe because I'm more blue collar.. Its a dream ride I never thought possible.. The appreciation does help to make me look sane but deep inside I really care about the ride.. The smell of the leather.. The smell of the car.. A smell you will never forget.. Those that own one know exactly what smell we are talking about.. but it requires you to be one like me.. Money Money Money and the nose goes up in the air - above the aromas.. You'll never smell it.. I'm not saying its wrong.. its just different.. It is fun to drive.. Just depends where you are in life I guess.. The TR gets dressed for you everyday. to the nines.. Take her out.. and she will show you her appreciation in a much better way.. When I grow old I only hope to be alive and have the ability to tell stories about how "the car" was... not how much of a great investment it was.. Its a great value.. They are on the rise.. It would be a shame to see another TR go into the abyss.. I feel the same about the 360.. Love the car.. Is she a TR.. no way.. Is there value in a 360.. sure is.. can I sell and break even or make a few bucks.. probably.. Do I do online everyday or on this forum and check values/sale prices to see if my car is on the way up.. No.. I'm too busy giving her a good romping.. Its like a double edged sword.. Love the fact that TR prices are on the rise.. concerned as to who will be gobbling up all the cars.. Really none of my business or concern but here I am writing my thoughts.. So.. the answer to the ops question.. No there is no better value at this time... Get it in now while you can.. Its already starting to get nuts.. I'm pretty much priced out of being able to get my hands on another TR.. Its all good.. I had my time and turn and made the best of it.. No regrets.. Just another chapter in the novel..

R

24. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    All of the above.

You are correct however on one point - it is cheaper to buy.
    Now you know why.

Rgds,
    Vincenzo

25. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Mr.Chairman it couldn't have been described any better. This is exactly how I feel about the cars.
    Will I recover my investment if I HAVE to sell, maybe yes maybe not. I don't care.
    I'm so proud to own a TR and I love the feel and the ride she gives me.

If I HAVE to sell and loose money will I regret? NO WAY!

If I sell and make money will I be happy? Maybe not because she'll be gone :-(

I'm presently in a tight Financial position and I hope to be able to keep the cars.