No metic tires, switching to 18" wheels... how harsh the ride??? | FerrariChat

No metic tires, switching to 18" wheels... how harsh the ride???

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by LRacine, Oct 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LRacine

LRacine Rookie

Aug 5, 2014
    Florida & NY
    I have an 86 TR. I have been reading all the past postings... yes the world of archaeological metric tires... none to be had in the world...sooooo it's wheel time!

I have been sadly watching the kids with o-ring tires, the ride on these cars becomes very harsh... is that what awaits my girl when I put 18" wheels on her?

I like the looks of the Motoworx and am in contact with the south African manufacture for a direct ship.

Anyone with experience with this wheels and quality etc???

Current "Rubber Suggestions" would be appreciated, I want to maintain the original OD of the old metric wheel/tire package.

L

2. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Louise, do you want to go to 18''? You can find OEM 16'' used. Tires are available. Just a suggestion!

But I really like the Motoworx wheels! Would be my choice too if I had to go 18''.

3. LRacine

LRacine Rookie

Aug 5, 2014
    Florida & NY
    Claude,

That is an option. However, I fear that in few years I will be back to the same issue of manufacturing companies discontinuing or limiting the production... from past postings it seems that there are currently only 3 suppliers of the 16" tires.... many more options available in the 18" category.

That being said... I have a line on some 16" used wheels and when I have all my numbers, and the "pros and cons".... will make a decision.

I just wanted to know if anyone had gone from a TRX to 18" and noticed a ride (suspension) difference..

Louise

4. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    #4 88Testarossa, Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
    I have 18" HRE 547 wheels mounted with P Zeros. I also had a wheel alignment after mounting. I also installed the F-40 Brembo big brake kit. The ride now is incredible (and much safer due to better braking and grip). That combo is awesome. Not a harsh ride by any measure.

5. Jeff Pintler

Jeff Pintler Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2005
    Richland
    Full Name:
    Jeff Pintler
    I switched to 18" Speedlines and the ride quality has not changed at all. Plus you can now use modern tire technology and speed ratings for a safer ride. FWIW.

Jeff Pintler
    89 348tb, 86tr, 99 360 3-pedal, 05 S-160 Bobcat

6. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    #6 UpNorth, Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Same here!