TR Aftermarket exhaust + CA Smog | FerrariChat

TR Aftermarket exhaust + CA Smog

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by TKO, Oct 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TKO

TKO Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Tom Kearns
    Any TR owners out there with experience passing CA smog with an aftermarket exhaust? Is the trick to just not change out the Cats and Pre-Cats? Will I be disappointed with the sound with only changing the muffler portion of the exhaust? I want to hear the music!

Thanks in advance,

Tom

2. tvu

tvu Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Trieu
    #2 tvu, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
    I believe CA wants original equipment (cats/precats). I don't think there is even a CARB approved cats if you even wanted to deviate or God forbid, you have a failure in your cats and you need them replaced. So if they perform a visual inspection, and notice that is an aftermarket, they can fail you just because of that - even if the cats are running cleaner.

If you just changed the muffler, I think it will help - but not to the sound that you would like.

The best sound would be free flowing cats/precats + muffler of your choice, but I don't think you will pass smog in CA.

Some more information in the following thread.
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/boxers-tr-m/432785-catalytic-converters-512tr-california.html

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #3 Rifledriver, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
    Not true. There are aftermarket cats available but none that are a performance improvement. Precats are not on the list of equipment so no one looks for them unless they are very familiar with TR's. Almost every pre OBD2 Ferrari has CARB approved cats available.

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The car will pass easily with just main cats and very few inspectors are even aware of the precats. If you put on a Tubi with precat eliminators it works very well, sounds good and passes smog.

5. tvu

tvu Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Trieu