Boxer joyride | FerrariChat

Boxer joyride

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by John B, Oct 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    #1 John B, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I just took my BB512 out for a joyride. I just have to say I remain awestruck by this car. It's been about two years now since I purchased it, and I would think I'd be getting over it by now, but I’m just not. A drive is an experience to be savored, I love the process. Ignition on, let the fuel pumps tick away and build pressure. 5 squirts on the accelerator and turn the key, it reluctantly fires to life. It's not very responsive to the throttle at first, maybe only 4 cylinders are combusting. A couple more pumps coerce a few more cylinders to life. More pumps, maybe 8 now. A couple more pumps and it revs freely with all 12 firing. It's still cold and stumbles leaving my driveway, then clears its throat. The chokes are disabled and the gearbox is recalcitrant, especially 2nd. It's 1st to 3rd for a few miles, then a patient 3-2 double clutch downshift finally engages 2nd without complaint. The sweet anticipation of what lies ahead teases me while keeping the revs below 4,000 patiently waiting for the oil to warm to 70C. It gives me time to savor the high pitched whining of the gears, so mechanical and delightful. The unassisted steering is light and the car is responsive and nimble. After about 10 minutes the oil temp hits 70C and I happen to be on a nice windy, smooth empty back country road. This is what I've been waiting for! As I whack it open, the engine belts out a deep howl and the shove in the back still surprises me. As the rpms cross 6,000 the howl turns into a blood curdling banshee scream like nothing else, half intake roar and half exhaust note. At 6,700 I catch the next gear with a quick solid "snick" on the gated shifter. It lands right in the meat of the power band and 6,700 approaches again very quickly, repeat, repeat. A nice fast sweeper requires a slight lift to transfer weight to the front to aid turn in, then squeezing back to full throttle as I approach the apex to plant the rear. I'm now uncontrollably grinning ear to ear, and so happy I have a Boxer.

I find it very interesting that my 27 year old son, who is quite the car-guy himself, but was not even alive during that era, says the BB512 is his favorite car to drive. That’s out of a CS, Ford GT, 330 GTC,’67 Corvette 427/435 roadster, 997 GT2 and his own 996TT. I’m starting to think he’s right.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

this is such a strong statement you are making john. many of us know you have lots of interesting and diverse car experience. the boxer really is a tremendous car.

3. DANCER308

DANCER308 Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    KY
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Awesome!!!!

4. dmaxx3500

dmaxx3500 Formula 3

Jul 19, 2008
    that is a great looking car in that color

5. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Wow! Super nice boxer. I like dark blue.