1985 TR Flying Mirror Recent Purchase | FerrariChat

1985 TR Flying Mirror Recent Purchase

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by kdross, Oct 28, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kdross

kdross Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ken
    #1 kdross, Oct 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I recently purchased an original mint condition USA red/tan (with red carpeting) 1985 TR with 6K miles. The car is a 2 owner car, but the previous owner purchased the car in 1986 from the original owner. The VIN for my car is #59499 and the engine number is 00122. Production date for my car is August 1985. Attached is a pic of the car being pushed into the garage the day the car was delivered. You can see all of the dust on the car from over a decade of storage.

For the past 10+ years the car has been in climate controlled storage. I am currently in the process of having a "super major" 30K service done. The "super major" service will include replacing all hoses (coolant, fuel and oil), tensioners, belts, gaskets, seals, o-rings, brake lines, fluids, dryer/receiver for the A/C (a known failure issue for the TR), upgrade the alternator, fuse box upgrade, oil pump chain and water pump update. It will also include a full tune up (new fuel injectors, spark plugs, wires, valve adjustment, etc.). I am taking lots pics of the service and will post the pics when the service is completed.

Since my car has such low mileage, most of the updates to the TR were never done to this car (e.g., oil pump chain, alternator, water pump, fuse box, etc). These issues are going to be addressed with the current service.

I have two questions regarding the oil pump chain update and water pump update. First, what does the water pump update include? I have asked numerous authorized dealers and mechanics this question, and no one seems to know what the water pump update for a 1985 TR includes. Do I need a new pump? New parts? One dealer told me that the water pump used in my 1985 TR predates the water pump update for the later cars (i.e., post 1985/86 cars) and I cannot use the updated gaskets and parts normally sold with that particular water pump update. Any info on this would be appreciated. As to the oil pump update" what is the best way to install the oil pump chain? There are numerous studs in the block of the engine that probably need to be removed to install the new chain, but that looks like a major PITA and very time consuming (plus I do not want to damage the studs or the block). Has anyone installed the updated chain, and if so, any suggestions or input you may have would be greatly appreciated. Pictures detailing the replacement would be great too. If anyone has the TSB for these updates and would like to send me a copy, I would greatly appreciate it (I have a TSB for the oil pump chain but it does not show how to install the chain - it only lists the part numbers for the upgraded parts).

I ordered a Hyper-Flow Catless Racing Exhaust and that should arrive soon. The new exhaust system should really make the car sound nice. I plan to leave the original muffler on for now since I think the sound should be nice with the stock muffler and the Hyper-Flow Racing system. I figure I can always replace the muffler at a later date if I do not like the stock muffler.

Also, I am having a very hard time finding the original metric TRX tires for the car. I know I can purchase the OEM 16" wheels and purchase 16" tires, but I am trying to keep the car 100% stock with the metric wheels. If anyone knows where or how I can purchase the stock tires please let me know (I already called Coker Tire and they have an estimated production date of March - which has already been moved several times from last June).

Any other input or thoughts you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Ken
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    nice looking car, and some cars by dealers are not much cleaner.

what has to be done because of the alternator modification?
    does somebody knows and can publish here please?

3. Rostami6

Rostami6 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2013
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Amir
    Congrats. I have your car's twin but about 5 months younger. You would be better off buying a set of 16 inch wheels and keeping the stocks in storage. The metric tires are hard to come by. Also get ready for the differential discussion since you did not mention it! ;)

4. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Really nice. Congratulations.

It's a bit funny that the flying mirror cars were not favored, some even being converted. But now they are having their day. And that flying mirror represents Ferrari style, history and charm.

I have a feeling you're going to really love her once you get her out on the open roads!

5. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    +1 and i presume these are the original tires date coded, worth keeping on original wheels IMHO.
    Nice car, well bought!

6. kdross

kdross Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Turbo-Joe:

The stock alternator only puts out about 65 amps. The upgrade replaces some internal parts to increase the amps and to increase reliability. Cost should be about $150 for the upgrade. Most shops who rebuild alternators can do the work.

7. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    thank you ken for the info
    mine already delivers more than 100 A

8. SandydeG

SandydeG Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2011
    Milford, NJ
    Full Name:
    Sandy de Groot
    Congrats! Hopefully the major done in time for one last fall driving event with us! Tentatively Nov 9.

9. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    Congrats! Looks great. Glad you are going to give it some loving. I also just bought a flying mirror car, cannot wait to see it.

10. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    Cool find, congrats! What else was "sitting" in that climate controlled storage?

11. LRacine

LRacine Rookie

Aug 5, 2014
    Florida & NY
    Congrats!!

I got mine a few months ago a early Jan 1986 white, flying mirror.

Do your homework of the differential...... lol I am in the process of redoing mine.

The story and pictures of uzz32soarer differential woes will bring this home to you..... it is a long read but well done and worth the time.....

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/boxers-tr-m/366206-aussie-testarossa-rebuild.html

Wheels, no TRX rubber to be had. Simple change over to the 16" rim, single bolt that is mounted to your existing hub. I just went thru this and now have a complete 16" set, taking them to my wheel man to inspect and clean up and then will mount the rubber.

Ferrari part numbers for these rims are Front 133213, 8Jx16 and Rear 133214, 10Jx16.

I did find a complete set (after I had already purchased 3 out of the four) for $1300 from Ferrari Parts, they are off of the black 1987 they are parting out. These have been painted black, so you will need a repaint.

Your fuse box....... suggest you do a little homework on that, just replaced mine. Was very pleased with the Scuderia replacement, easy installation (so long as you are limber....)

Enjoy....

Louise

12. MonoSpecchio

MonoSpecchio Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2006
    SoCal in the IE
    These guys usually stock the TRX tires, cheaper than Coker but shipping from England is expensive.
    Vintage Tyres | Longstone Tyres

Congrats on your MonoSpeccio! Mine is black.

13. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    beautiful find! These are the days my friends! Live em up

14. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Congrats on the purchase. I will second the Dave helms fuse box upgrade. While you have the engine out you might want to swap out the radiator fans. Spal made the originals but have modern units that bolt up, look the same but pull more air...more quiet also. About $260 for the pair. Ten minute job with the motor out.

15. Jeff Pintler

Jeff Pintler Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2005
    Richland
    Full Name:
    Jeff Pintler
    Any chance someone has the upgrade fan part numbers? Congrats on the TR. There is lots of info on fixing small flaws on the earlier cars. May I suggest a tubi as it sounds glorious on the 12! So much so that other cars collect around the TR when on the road. Koni can rebuild the shocks and sometime you will want to replace the suspension bushings. Plan on the replacing Differential ring and pinion as the original welded unit fails with abuse, but you car probably hasn't been abused. Skip the TRX tires, modern tires are safer. FWIW.

Jeff Pintler
    89 348tb, 86tr, 99 360 3-pedal, 05 S-160 Bobcat

16. MonoSpecchio

MonoSpecchio Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2006
    SoCal in the IE
    Just thought I should add that I really think you'll be safe by switching to the OE 16" wheels. You shouldn't worry about future availability because the 1984-88 Corvette used the same tire size. In other words, there will always be a healthy demand for that size unlike the TRXs. BFGoodrich Sport Comp 2 makes a great street tire for them for a low price.

17. tvu

tvu Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Trieu
    Not sure if they are the same, but I replace my 512TR fans with SPAL 30102054 11" fans.

OP - congrats on your new purchase. Looks like you are doing right with the whole makeover.

18. alexwagner

alexwagner Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2013
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Alex Wagner
    Lovely, congratulations!

Re: the diff
    I am planning the upgrade of the stock welded diff to the later forged diff casing on my 512TR (same issue as on the Testarossa).
    But unlike your car, mine is at 47.000Km.

If I were you, on a 6.000 mile car, I would unhesitatingly leave the diff as stock until a future engine-out cambelt service once past about 20.000 miles.

To the best of my knowledge, the stock diff weld breaks due to fatigue that accumulates with the miles, not with the years.

19. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    Hi Ken,
    Congrats on your purchase.
    I own 56377, an older sister of yours.
    Check for your starter as hot start can become a problem.
    It's subject that's been discussed around here.
    I have a Tubi on my girl and I like it a lot! :D
    Gold Connector Kit could be an option also, since you are planning on a fuse box upgrade talk about it with Scuderia Rampante.
    Wish you enjoy it as much as me!

20. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    So there is a gold connector kit for the Testarossas now? From Scuderia Rampante?

21. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Yep, Dave Helms will hook you up.