To all those saying the Testarossa won't appreciate much because there were 7k made.. | FerrariChat

To all those saying the Testarossa won't appreciate much because there were 7k made..

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by rpissm, Nov 1, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I was talking to some people today at Cars and Coffee about classic cars and Testarossas and of course they brought up that stupid nugget about how they won't amount to much because there were 7000 produced. When people say that I just remind them that there were almost twice as many Shelby Mustangs produced between 1965 and 1970, and look what happened to those!

Shelby American Production Figures

Just in case any of you were looking for a comeback when you hear the same factoid. :)

2. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I've been Mustang and Shelby my entire life before I switched to Ferrari. Keep in mind every year is very different in the Shelby. Numbers are much lower than TR. Yes they went very high for some models, the 67 500 passed the 300k mark at time but they only made 2048 and this is the highest production year and the movie was there to help.

The market has come down a lot since.

3. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    there are a LOT less than 7000 Tetstarossa's left. Maybe 5000 maximum spread around the world

4. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    No matter what some people say the Testarossa is a rare car. Compared to REAL mass production cars. Some cars are like a drop of water in the ocean but 7000 is not more than a cup of water in the ocean! Which is really nothing!!!

5. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    If you are so concerned about Testarossa prices and it's perception of they won't amount to much.

I suggest you alter your posting on fchat like this thread on the Internet for the world to see, as you are not helping your cause.

6. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    '' If the prices have gone up that much recently, I might have to stop driving mine! ''

I have very hard times understanding this way of thinking!

Why would you stop using it? It's the SAME f*****g car. Is there more chances to damage it then before it's rise in value? NO!
    If your car is insured for it's market value where is the problem?

If something happen and the value is higher insurance will fix it!

If value is low they will write it off!
    So you better park it now and wait it's value raises before driving it! Less chance to lose it.

7. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    They made almost 4k dinos and that doesn't seem to matter...

8. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    when I remember in 1984

a TR has been new 240.000 german marks, waiting up to 2 years after ordering
    if you wanted to have one faster you had to pay much more on the market. I remember cars have been sold for 400.000 german marks ( so now about 200.000 euro )

original the car has been built with some "breakdowns" ( diff, fusebox ) as we all know here. then very high maintenance costs. this all is some what "investors" just now hesitate to buy TR or one of the TR family. most don´t know if the weak parts are alreday replaced or not. short time ago a friend of mine sold a 86 TR for about 42.000 euro. still old diff and old fusebox in and looking not so fine but worth the price.if it would be upgraded and good prepaired for selling then it costs about 10.000 euro more to do this, but finallly you get then more than 52.000 euro.

just now there are only offered in mobile.de 33 TR, the cheapest one for nearly 50.000€, the most expensive one for 189.000 €

so we see that the prices are raising. one problem we have here that all are talking the TR prices down. but why? those TR are very reliable when they are good serviced. sure, they are no cars for a track and in the city to park it makes also no fun. but for speed between 30 km/h and 270 km/h they are more than good. always remember the age.

If I would have here more space I would buy now good conditioned TR with mechanical problems, because those I can fix by myself and that is what normaly costs a lot of money - the labor

I think it is only a question of time until you will not get anymore a driveable TR under 150.000 US $

have please a look at the newer Ferrari: a 360 or a 550 you may get now for under 40.000 €, and a 575 will start at about 42.000 €, and a 599, new has been more than 200.000 € you will get one now for less than 60 % minus, 80.000 €

so the TR with around 50.000 is not as bad as most think here. it is only a value loss of 50 % in germany. but this value loss is not equal in all countries.

how much has been a TR in 1984 or in 1987 in the US? somebody knows?

9. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    The first owner of my car here in Canada told me he paid around $175,000 cdn in 1991 when the market had come down a lot.

10. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    he got the car new from an official dealer or used?

how much this car has been in 1991 here I don´t know :(

11. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Woo Hoo! -- I'm starting to think that I'll get all my (2000) purchase money back ;)

12. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    then it is not a bad business and you had fun with the car steve. :)
    but if you don´t need the money just now for other things keep the car. also you are able to repair all when somethings goes wrong, same as me :) :)

13. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    He bought it new. I believe there was an intermediate dealer from his hometown in the deal from the Ferrari dealer.

14. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    You are the captain of talking down the price of the Testarossa , reread your old posts for yourself. Ask yourself why first.

15. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Interesting point you bring to the table. I have also heard this argument about the car never going to shoot up. I do agree with your point. However, production is the only thing holding this car down and is the main hurdle that the car has to pass. I don't think that it will be held down indefinitely. The countach is the biggest indicator of this as I've stated on here a long time ago. Countach brings the SAME type of buyer as the Testarossa. Testarossas and Countaches in theory should be worth about the same money and have been worth the same money for a LONG time until the wolf of wall street. Production number is what eventually gave in the market and that's why you see the prices you do. In the end it is all supply in demand. The values of these cars is determined by supply and demand FIRST, and then by how badly the market wants it. The money is always out there.

16. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Bad example as the market for Shelby Mustangs is many times larger than the market or TRs.

So your comeback will be laughed at.

17. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Another poor comparison, because Ferrari in terms of production numbers from the mid 70s to today dwarfs the number of Lamborghinis, especially the pre-Audi era.

They built more TRs/512/M than the following combined:

Miura 700
    Countach 2,000
    Diablo 2,800
    1/2 the number of Murcielagos 2,000

That spans nearly 40 years.....

So other than the market for Ferraris being somewhat bigger than that of Lamborghini, there is no justification of a TR being worth anywhere close to any of the above Lamborghinis.

18. toffee

toffee Rookie

Oct 29, 2014
    Indian Wells
    Looks like the value is going up, I wonder if TRs will follow the path of 246 Dinos (3761+152 made) or 308GT4 (2,826) or Boxer.

Decades ago, the little Dinos weren't allowed to fully participate at some Ferrari gatherings. like special need kids having to take that little bus. Today, Dino value is easily north of $400k and embraced by the Ferrari crowd.

So in the end, 246's larger product number didn't hurt appreciation, 308GT4's smaller production number surely didn't help.

Boxer, production number: 2323, perhaps provides a better hint. What are the value and trend of Boxers?

Anything that I touch will depreciate as I like to "restyle" them, like this. Purists frown upon my stuff. How to post image on this forum?

19. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

#19 Bradwilliams, Nov 2, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2014

Did you look at what you wrote? 2000 countaches made, 7000 testarossas made. That's why Countaches are worth more. I can pull out one of my old dupont registries right now showing both cars for sale in the 70-80k range. They WERE worth the same money back in the mid-late nineties wether you want to believe it or not.

20. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I can not remember that I ever talked the prices down. I only posted here some prices that are some cars offered for. and this I think is a big difference.

also I wonder about the countach prices. a friend of mine wanted to sell his countach ( 25 anniversairy, black with carbs ) about 3 years ago for about 130.000 euro. there was absolutely no interest. so he sold ( better he had to sell ) this car for not even 80.000 € after 3 years waiting and kept his gallardo and his 348.

so the times are changing

21. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Yeah and so were Miuras, Dinos, and a host of 60s Ferraris under $100k. That has no bearing on today. I'm discussing why comparing prices of Countachs and Diablos have no correlation with TR pricing today as so many here wish a link existed.

And its not only about numbers but also about the iconic stature of the first 3 generations of Lamborghini supercars versus Ferraris from the corresponding period. Just in the last decade have people started to figure out how special the Pre-Audi V12 cars are.

22. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    #22 bpu699, Nov 2, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
    We need to start thinking like the ford and Chevy guys. Sure 7000 testarossas were made.

But...

Mine is white. Has a red interior, and that very rare beige trunk carpet. THAT is really rare :). Probably makes it 1 of 10 in the whole world just like it.

Plus, it's a 2 owner, 16,000 mile car. And, it's numbers matching. All original paint too! Motor has never been apart. It's a SURVIVOR!!! :). :)

Not to mention it has the single lug wheels. They only made 1000 or so of those.

Pretty much every Ferrari has skyrocketed in value given enough time. Even the step child Dino, and the queen mother cars.

Give it 5 more years...

I am trying to imagine a world where countaches are 1 million, and testarossas stay at 60,000$. Can't happen.

The folks in our generation that want these cars are in their 40s right now. Real disposable income comes in your 50s.

That's should mean it will be worth millions :).

Isn't that how the muscle guys think? Sure, they made 20 million mustangs. But this one has a v8, black interior, air, and the optional trunk liner, and cassette player. That makes it worth a fortune!

Bo

23. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Its not just prod numbers. The CT was an extreme machine, with little compromise for occupats or regulation. The TR was designed specificaly to be comfortable and comply with regulation, that makes it a more bland GT experience. That is why they managed to sell 7000 in period. But collectable high end cars are not all about useability. A collectable barely gets driven and hardley ever for an long distance. There isa reason why miuras are so revered now, its the styling and noise, becaiuse the car to drive is seriously compromised, but ina collectable that does not matter.

Of course Dino prices negate everythign I have said above. But Dinos are beutiful whereas TRs are an aquired taste.

Yes the Tr will have its day, it is the tailfin cadillac of the 80's, and compred to whtever is producted today its an extreme classic machine with just enough useability to be driven. My guess is this is the one older ferrari thta could catch on in China, it works its driveable its in your face and the ac functions. But next car collector cycle, not this one yet.

24. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    I might convert my cassette to an 8 track. That should bring real stupid money.

For God's sake, quit pontificating about the rise in value and just drive and enjoy the car!

I own a 3-pedal 360 and a TR (20+ years now) and can't imagine life w/o my TR.

Sheesh, enough about rising values (or not). Who cares?

25. dkyranakis

dkyranakis Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2013
    Centreville, DE
    Full Name:
    Demetri Kyranakis
    I am 38, a pre-owned manager of a local BMW center. I have owned one of the last Lotus Esprit V8's produced (a very low production 1 out of 100 for 02) and drive many different cars every day. I have driven most of the Ferraris built after 2000 and I can honestly say they are amazing, however there is something about my TR that is so special. The sound, the ride quality, the experience. I'm in LOVE. I also could not see selling it unless the right 512TR came along. Even then, I wouldn't pay an extra $100,000. Maybe $50000. I believe many people agree. Although they like the 512TR better, not $100000 better as the delta is now. For this reason I expect the earlier cars to continue to catch up even with high production numbers. How many are truly nice cars all around? Very few.

Demetri
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk