stolen Ferrari 512 M | FerrariChat

stolen Ferrari 512 M

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by bay, Nov 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bay

bay Formula 3

Mar 13, 2011
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bernard
    Stolen Ferrari 512 M !
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152537906188196&set=o.773829279355980&type=1

2. chabch

chabch Formula 3

Aug 15, 2010
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    it must be a horrible feeling.

I wonder what the heck the thieves can do with them other than selling it part by part. Ferraris and especially 512M, are way too traceable to be left in one piece, don't you think?

3. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Maybe post this in the Ferraris for sale and parts section. It will get more eyes and awareness...

4. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    one would think rarity would affect the theft of a Ferrari as a deterrent... actually rarity matters little... there are many unsolved / un recovered thefts of Ferrari... including where only less than a handful of cars were produced, one would think the Ferrari community would be self policing and quick to report ownership of cars with questionable histories of acquisition... the reality is that the Ferrari community is like society in general and has a segment that is slow or unwilling to report stolen property... there are those in the upper echelon of the F car community that wear faux halos in their public image, all the while hiding their dark side...

5. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    My heart goes out to you and I hope a speedy recovery. I was once told that uber high end cars rarely get parted out because there is a small market for 'hot' parts. Most Ferrari owners dont buy stolen parts for their cars or cruise Craigs List looking for a water pump. Honda Accords, different story.

I would suspect it is heading for a country that has lax registration laws.

6. chabch

chabch Formula 3

Aug 15, 2010
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    #6 chabch, Nov 11, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
    True. But the last 6 digits would show up at some point somewhere. A Ferrari dealership told me once that there are a series of "hidden" numbers here and there in the engine compartment that allows them to know what chassis they're dealing with, without having to read the VIN number.

7. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Interesting, good info.

I think the end user wont care about the VIN or engine out services hahah. They will probably either drive it into the ground or pay for a private mechanic.

Eastern Europe, Albania and Russia......

Europe's Car Thieves Go Upscale | Security Management

A friend who is in Law Enforcement gave me some theft deterrent ideas:

-Always use a different address than actual storage address for registration and dealership purposes. This will foil thieves looking 'steal for order' cars. Get rid of anything inside the car with your storage address.
    -Lojack. It works if the thief cant easily find the box.
    -Micro GPS tracker with GSM. Small and could be hidden behind the dash or inside airbox, behind speaker foot well carpet or?
    -Disable the car by pulling fuel pump fuses when sitting for long periods un attended and put the keys in a safe (assuming you arent driving regularly). Obviously this will not stop a thief who can cut keys to code or has a flat bed.

Anybody got any more?

8. RedFlyer512TR

RedFlyer512TR Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Full Name:
    Timothy
    I put The Club on the steering wheel. All my cars have The Club. If a thief is thinking about your car as a sudden opportunity, The Club makes it harder to get away with the car. Low tech, but I think it works.

9. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I have a locking plate for the shift lever.
    It covers the shift gate and locks the lever into reverse.
    I use it when parked in public.
    Pretty hard to make a get-away going backwards but easy enough to drag up on a flatbed..

10. MM355

MM355 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2008
    GMT + 3
    I feel sorry for the owner.

11. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
  12. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    I've posted it in our NL FB !

13. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Amazing to hear that such a car could be stolen, although a number of such stolen cars continue to circulate throughout the region where I reside. From what I understand, so long as they are not exported, the local registrations can be renewed annually; even some innocent owers have bought such cars, to their chagrin when they tried to move home with them.

While Carfax can help in the US, is there a central registry (Interpol?) where serial numbers of all stolen cars from the EU can be checked? When I bought my TR and Countaches I ended up contacting the factory and paying dearly for a form of PPI which included some documentation.

Sadly, even that can be iffy. There is a market for completely wrecked / burned exotics just for their various ID badges.

A good idea to store at an address other than your residence of record.

14. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I've seen videos of people cutting through the steering wheel in seconds rendering the "club" ineffective. If a thief wants your car they will get it.

15. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    There is also a known weak link with traditional roll up garage doors. Just Google 'garage door coat hangar'. On my old garage, I had the emergency quick release secured with a zip tie. A thief would have to use other force methods to get the door open.

16. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    But then the steering wheels is trash and costs more than the few hours of drive time before being pulled over via helicopter intercept.

17. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    Not suggesting this is the case of course but I have heard of insurance fraud cases where the car is at the bottom of a lake and the insured gets paid. This might answer the question of why some cars are never discovered again.

18. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I would not take that statement to the bank. Many many owners are more then willing to pay for a "good deal" on parts.

Would you rather pay 50k for a gearbox or 25?

19. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Yes. Many times over..

20. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
    Strange that many cars are getting stolen from France

21. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    i thought te same when resding this. I think only a week ago a dino was stolen, also in France.....

Anyway me heart gooes out to the owner, must be really driving you nuts!

22. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Unfortunately, not strange at all: this country has become the happiest of all european hunting grounds for most eastern Europe crime organisations. As an example, a wide network of burglars of georgian origin was dismantled by the Police just a few months ago.

Rgds