Transfercase/Dropbox tool and torque spec | FerrariChat

Transfercase/Dropbox tool and torque spec

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by kerrywittig, Nov 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    I am doing my 4th waterpump seal replacement (more on that later) on my '87 TR and a second belt service as long as I'm in there AGAIN!...

But I noticed a slight weeping of gear oil between the bellhousing and the housing where the 3 gears that transfer power from clutch pack to the the quill shaft. So I have split the case to reseal/gasket the cases. In order to seperate the cases I had to remove a ring nut. The ring nut gets pretty much destroyed when you remove it because it has 2 peened areas that "lock" it onto the shaft/gear. So I orderd a new one, Ferrari PN. 153068 ($40) and then proceeded to try to locate the appropriate ring nut socket (RNS) to insure that it is tighted back on the shaft/gear body correctly....I have great news and a question....

First, the question....What is the correct torque that this ring nut requires?

Secondly, the good news....You can buy the ring nut socket (RNS) from Hill Eng. PN. RNT-50/Ring nut tool - 50mm for $100+ or....you can go to ANY NAPA store and buy PN. 2467 for $24.......it fits perfectly! It is a 4 wheel drive spindle nut wrench that is actually for Ford 4x4 truck front axles.....It does not have a horsey embossed on it and it is made in USA, but it will do the job just as well....even though it may not instigate Florida barfly girls to pose with your Italian dicks on wheels.

But I really do need that torque spec please...Thanks!

I'm Back Me

2. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Photo(s) please Kerry ! :)

3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    this nut is the same as on the drive shaft
    the torque you need is 220 Nm ( on a TR , but I think it is the same on your car )

4. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    #4 kerrywittig, Nov 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    So....220Nm equals 162 lb/ft??

6. Spitfire

Spitfire Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 16, 2006
    According to the online conversion tool that I use, you are correct.

7. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Nice....;)

8. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    This is how I remember it....

Think of Newton - the guy that dropped an apple.

An apple is about 1/4 lb
    .....220 Newtons (apples) is 220/4= 55lbs

A meter is about 3 ft and torque is the lever arm x force
    .....3 ft x 55lbs = 165 ft lbs

It is obviously not exact - but you can do it in your head as a 'reality check' to confirm your conversion by more exact means.

Rgds,
    Vincenzo

9. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    Thank you TJ and V...

10. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    This may sound silly, but do those teeth look like they can handle that type of torque

11. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I already thaught the same. for one or two attempts to tighten it may be good. but to open with an air impact wrench I see problems

12. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    Here we go!!

Make a suggestion that does not have a "Ferrari" endorsement, or a prancing horse scribed into or onto it and god forbid that it costs a resonable price...........and it's sub-par....amazing.

Shaking my head...again....Me

13. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Was just a question Kerry, take it easy partner.

14. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #14 vincenzo, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good question! Thinking about my Ford... The rear axle outboard bearing retainer on the F250 uses a similar tool. It is used to torque to the factory spec of 55 to 65 ftlbs.

Enclosed is the TR WSM info.

As I read it (YMMV):
    PN 31 is a "Ring Nut" (is that the one you seek? or is it the layshaft RN?) per the TR WSM torque tables, the "Ring Nut to Clutch Shaft" calls for 20 daN m.

One decaNewton is 10 Newtons. The 20 daN m is 200Nm...

Going thru the "in the head" conversion: 200/4*3=150ft lbs

Doing it exactly, per Maryland Metrics: Online Metric torque conversion Calculator we get 147.6 ftlbs.

Yup -
    The 147.6 ftlbs does seem to be a very high load on that tool - but it seems to be the WSM's specified torque.

(pls confirm which 'ring nut' you seek in the below shown tables)

Rgds,
    Vincenzo

PS: If the torque value is right - the 'tool' should be good to go.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I think you have been talking first about the ring nut no. 6? this has 220 Nm

16. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    Kerry - similar set up as on the 308. 308 repair manual gives torque as 20 kgm which converts to 144.66 lb-ft.

17. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    #17 kerrywittig, Nov 24, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
    Wrap up...
    $24 NAPA socket worked perfectly, as I suggested it would.

Thanks to all for the torque specs...I pulled it to 150 lb/ft.

Dropbox all back in one piece.

New waterpump seal installed....again! Mr. David Helms came to my aid on this one...correct seal, custom made spacer, machined the impeller, along with machining & updating my installation tool (also NOT Ferrari issued).

New belts & clutches dismantled and checked, re-cored radiators in place with all new hardware also while in there....10 hours and service is done!

Gold kit is ready for installation and then another 4 hours to get it back in place and on the highway.

Almost done Me

18. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Don't rush the gold kit install.. Take your time and be precise.. It will payoff big time.

R

19. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Glad to see some new help is coming into the marketplace for the WP seals. Any pics or PNs or additional info would be much appreciated. Is Dave going to be doing this on a routine basis, or was this a one-off project?

Congrats!
    Vincenzo

20. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    David is doing this for all weeping and dripping Testarossa owners...I believe I was one of the first to take advantage of his help....just as he has helped with hoses, electrical connections and electrical power distribution upgrades he is now providing this service ....I'm sure David will soon speak up concerning this very much needed service. I can tell you. I was VERY frustrated with these waterpump issues....even Ricambi has STOPPED offering waterpump seals.......PITA for them...Dave it seems has found out what it takes to get results that work...time will tell.

My install tool is one I pirated (with permission) from a fellow FChat member whom was kind enough to lend me his for many months....If anyone out there is interested I can post some pix. I redesigned it a bit and made certain parts of it out of different materials to perform better with the seals and to provide very easy to find replacement "wear" parts.

Formerly weeping Me

21. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Kerry, please post some pics of the tool and the mods you did to it. Sounds like your car is getting close, congrats.

22. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig