add high mirror TR | FerrariChat

add high mirror TR

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by redferrarispyder, Nov 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. redferrarispyder

redferrarispyder Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2007
    I am looking at getting an original single high mirror TR... though they divide opinions I am a fan of the high mirror mount. Im thinking of adding double
    Now I know I will be told that it is not original but that is not of concern to me. I have see the double high mirror mount and I think it looks good.
    what do you think

2. Total Recall

Total Recall Formula Junior

Aug 21, 2014
    East Yorkshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Dominic Bradley
    Hi,

I`m definitely no expert - but I`m converting my RHD `86 back to single high mirror after it was converted to double low early in it`s life (well I keep putting it off but will get round to it this winter lol).

Looking at the job it isn`t too difficult to convert back to single high once the parts are sourced - but if it was the other way round and the car was originally double low mirror, converted to high mirror which you wanted to put back to low mirror then the job would be a bit more involved as it would involve some bodywork and paint.

If you add an extra high mirror to a single high mirror car and ever wanted it back to single high mirror again then it would obviously also invlove the bodywork and paint on the side that is deleted and wouldn`t ever quite be original again.

All I`m thinking is that you have to do the job on at least one side anyway and whether you get a single high mirror to start with or a double low it would be a job to convert back to original if you ever wanted.

IF you started with a double low mirror car though at least you may have more chance of finding the right car at the right price, condition, miles, colour etc. just beacuse there`s more of them to choose from.

Other than that - I love the high mirror sticking out, it just seems to give it a concept car/prototype look - but can`t deny that in a way it does look a bit odd. I`m sure if the factory had of made the cars originally as high double mirrors, most people would say it looks a lot better. That`s not the way the did it though....

Hope I havent made the decision seem more complicated than it is!

Dom.

3. Total Recall

Aug 21, 2014
    East Yorkshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Dominic Bradley
    Also I`ve just thought - all the wiring and the switch will be there ready on a double low mirror car....

Dom.

4. Total Recall

Aug 21, 2014
    East Yorkshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Dominic Bradley
    #4 Total Recall, Nov 18, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
    Sorry, I should have thought a bit more about this!

You will have to check for sure but I`m fairly sure I read somewhere on here that the window frame was different on later low mirror cars compared to early low mirror cars. If true I`ve no idea when they changed - but it could complicate the process of fitting the quarter glass to a low mirror car - so you may be best getting a high mirror car to start with after all.

I got the glass from Eurospares - something like 15 GBP a side at the time that`s all!

If you are talking about LHD cars - then you would need a RHD flying mirror for the passenger side - and I didn`t find it easy to get hold of. After checking on ebay for months, I ended up getting a new old stock one from Maranello Classic Parts - for a price approaching £800 GBP! I think even they were stunned by how much it cost as they double checked with me that I actually wanted to buy it lol. Top service from them though.

Makes TRX tires look cheap lol!

Dom

5. daveshowey

daveshowey Karting

Apr 12, 2013
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    David
    Maintenance trumps mirrors and mileage, every time.