Current Testarossa Values | FerrariChat

Current Testarossa Values

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by UAS, Nov 20, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. UAS

UAS Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2008
    Glen Cove, NY
    Hello all,

Just curious to all your thoughts on values of 1985-1989 Testarossa. Is it true that the 85-86 "flyinging mirror" are the most desirable and collectable (excluding 512 and M ofcoarse), over the 87-89? Thanks for the feedback.

2. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #2 msdesignltd, Nov 20, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
    just my Opinion...as now I have had all 3 variations of the earlier TR's

Condition trumps Year across board and Flying mirrors are the Holy Grail.
    However not so if the flying mirror has been neglected..not yet anyway.
    I beleive the Market is still in flux...and time will change values once people start doing rotisserie restos on early cars. A poorly kept flying mirror is still not proven to be worth the cost of a resto plus the cost of the car..I beleive this will change in near future.
    Well kept Flying mirrors will always lead the pack of 85 through 91 TR's.

Yes a sub 10,000 mile 86 compared to a sub 10,000 mile 87 compared to a sub 10,000 mile 88 through 91 will go as follows

1986 sub 10,000 mile car will be most collectable / valuable, with a single lug low mirror 87 trailing slightly...and the 88 through 91 being at the least of the models collectors desireability factor.

At the momemt the 512TR's are in high desireablity as well..but they are not the grail spoken of in the first paragraph.

The early Miuras were shunned in favor of the later SV's in the beginning but now the p400's caught up..so Time will be an equalizer.

And of course the low body LP400 countach is double to triple a P5000 or an anniversary model. all similar what will be stories we hope.

3. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I have an 87 and personally I think that's when they got it right. Dual lower mirrors (the flying mirror just doesn't look right in my opinion) and they still have the earlier single lug wheels.

richardbolt likes this.
  4. blue_myriddn

blue_myriddn Karting

Feb 8, 2012
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Given that you are a car dealer, why do I feel like this is very much a loaded question?

5. UAS

UAS Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2008
    Glen Cove, NY
    thanks mike. What's your opinion on a 1985 red/tan flying mirror with 29K miles...fresh (as in today) engine out service...paint is a 9 out of 10, interior needs a little love on the dash and driver seat....books, spare wheel, full luggage...clean carfax/accident history...2 owner car. Thanks

6. UAS

UAS Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2008
    Glen Cove, NY
    yes we are a dealer...but there are some very knowledgeable buyers/collectors on this forum and I value their opinion....there is a lot of buzz over the testarossa market and I was curious to some input.

7. 1997spider

1997spider Karting

Nov 18, 2014
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Miles are high for a true "collector or invesment" car. Retail should be around $65-$70k IMHO. Are you selling it or buying it from a client?

8. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #8 msdesignltd, Nov 20, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
    Looks like there were only 121 of them..US models
    Red Headed - Testarossa

I am on the fence about Mileage.. 5 to 10 thousand miles is one category
    10 to 20 is another and so on..

It would have to be quite convincing elsewhere as far as paperwork and condition for me...not everyone though.. to pay high on a car like this...but an 85 in the US. is rare.
    a 29,000 mile car can still be concours condition, or not though...depends on previous care levels.
    However in the long term....this would do well...
    Again only my opinion.

9. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    Are you buying or selling? What's the price?

10. UAS

UAS Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2008
    Glen Cove, NY
    not sure on price..yet

11. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    take it from an experienced hand here................

Write....." Entertaining offers as your price " and see what comes in..

when the Market is this Hot....you must protect your best interests..

OK!, Now I must Duck.......{ LOL }

12. FTanner

FTanner Formula Junior

Aug 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I think it is funny that some people think the single mirror variant circa 85/86 command the most money when in fact, that is absolutely not the case. Just look it up and you will see. 88.5 to 91 is the best sorted variant and factually command the most money. Take a look at asking/completed prices and judge for yourself.

13. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I think you just proved the point..
    So few super cond. Flying mirrors are out there..so few sales have actually been recorded..

If you took equal condition low mileage examples of both the early and the later car..
    The early car would always sell for more..

so many more later cars have traded hands that you judge records above reality..
    So many more later cars were made as well.
    I have combed the Market for years now...finding a perfect High mirror is akin to finding a countach periscopo
    If you find a sub 10,000 mile high mirror, please call me..
    JMO!

14. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Universal,

It all depends on the car in question and I agree that condition trumps mileage.

To answer your question, according to Haggarty: Condition 1) $93.5 Condition 2) $74.5 Condition 3) $60 Condition 4) $49.9. Note that these figures are the same for 1985 through 1991 TR's. I plugged in different years and got the same values. Their matrix probably doesnt take into account uber low mile cars, major service, luggage etc.

Some people gravitate toward certain years. I gravitate towards the 88.5+ But we all gravitate towards a clean, no issue car. Everyone can come up with examples of 'flying mirror' Vs. 'dual mirror' Vs. '88.5+' getting high numbers. One thing all big sales prices share, is condition.

You mentioned the interior. Warped dash leather can be an issue for two reasons, its expensive and color matching. Its not hard, but the dash touches the arm rest on the door panels. So a good color match is essential when commanding a premium price.

Look at a generic exotic like you were purchasing it for the dealership. Remember all the little imperfections that drove down the price? A Testarossa buyer is going to note the same imperfections and use them as a bargaining chip unless everything is fully disclosed and priced correctly. The best bet is to be as up front as possible, take a bunch of pictures and the car will sell quickly.

Lastly, value and selling price are two different things. It could be valued at $65k and sell at $80k or the opposite. There is a single mirror TR up for auction with Leake in Dallas this weekend with 20,000 miles including a fresh Major service. It looks like an IAG car from Pompano Beach as the pictures on the web site were taken on the same location (just a hunch). IAG also had a 86 with 35,000 miles, fresh engine out and clutch not sell for $54,100 on ebay. So you have at least 2 other comps that I found within 5 minutes.

Another member already posted a mileage/value breakdown. I tend to agree with that. There are certain milestones that buyers have in their heads, right or wrong.

Asking price......wait until the auction results are posted from Leake and compare it to the Ebay flying mirror. That would give you a fairly accurate idea what buyers are spending......and thats more valuable than 'value'

Good luck with the sale!

15. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    That is why I opted for a '90. The earlier cars had a lot of issues like chains and even the wheel splines were problematic.

A static, museum piece singler mirror may collect more $ - but for an enthusiast that wants to drive it, the 88.5+ is the place to put your money.

Rgds,
    Vincenzo

16. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    What people do not equate...is the frequecy of finding the car you really want.

how often does the color combo and mileage come along that you approve.
    would you drive a white TR...or a Prugna...

If you are heart set on Prugna, and it comes up, grab it at first site, it will not come along again any time soon.
    If you will drive a white car , you can pass on one or 2 a year and maybe find what you want.

This is what makes the Market , people spending more when the economy is good, and then the rest of the Market uses that price as a hedge.

It seems as if 512 boxers have reached a plateau...meaning the jump from $150,000.00 to $300,000. has been accomplished quickly...pushing 350,000.00 to 400,000.00 is reserved for garage queens.
    I believe this will happen with the TR's as well...maybe trailing 10 to 20% less though than boxers..

It is fair to say you can still get a 512 BBI in need of restoration for $150,000.00 put $150,000.00 into it and get back $350,000.00 +.

You can not do that with a TR...yet...thats what we are waiting for and the Market will solidify the new price order.
    Garage queen sales do help the rest of the market though.

I hope to take a few TR's through restoration in the coming years ...That will be fun..
    Imagine OMG John doing a TR instead of a 246.

17. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    friend just purchased a 85 black for 50K. Belts needed, but about a 20K mile car, in great overall condition. I thought that was a strong buy. As Sports Car Market would say, well bought.

18. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    Very well bought.

I'm very fond of my 88.5 (5-lug wheels was a deciding factor), red/black and previously owned by the FoD dealer rep/FCA concours judge, Bill Orth. I bought it with 10k miles, it now has 37K, problem free (Helms fuse upgrade) and a joy to own. Bill was a delight to deal with during the purchase.

I concur with Lear60Man's post, and Vincenzo who says a 88.5 and newer is a better buy if you plan to drive the car.

19. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I have always thought Red/Tan appeals to most buyers (Ferrari). I am not one of those.

Thankfully I found my perfect color choice White/Tan. A dark Metallic blue / Tan interior would be a distant second.

20. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    The market does favor the other model right now, you are correct , as price reflects it.
    85-86 single mirror cars are the lowest production of the entire lot of 7,700 cars. early cars also do not have the nasty mouse seatbelts the later ones had in US,five bolt pattern is cheaper then the single bolt.

The discussion can go either way, but as cars become more difficult to find, the later version one is when they made MOST that waiting list back then was enormous for this car, 89-91 they pumped out full capacity at a 1,000 cars a year.

Did he wear a ski mask when he picked up the car ? ;)

21. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Full Name:
    Al
    I've read many "non-owner" complaints about the "mouse seat belt."

I had mine serviced 20 years ago under the recall. I've never had a problem with mine (and it was working when I took the car in for the recall). Maybe I'm just fortunate?

I think the seat belt "problem" is overstated, and repeated by many (perhaps not you) who don't own a TR with the seat-belts at issue.

22. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Don't you just hate reading BS like that ;)- but the REALITY is .... The opposite perception.

Also, an inch of headroom is lost on the car as well, which is another fact. ;)

Kids are bigger today than 25 yrs ago , plus who couldn't use an extra inch ? HA !

23. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Full Name:
    Al

I'm with you on a Sera Blue and tan interior. That would be my second choice over red/black.

I've seen white/tan and it is an amazingly good combo.

24. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I Personaly would not buy a center lug TR. Too much expense. As these cars get older, I'm noticing a lot of wheels not staying tight, worn splines are the result, and mega bucks to replace. The wheel bolt itself wears out the at tapered cone, and it can no longer maintain a tightening torque, and they start to back off. Pretty scary.

I suggest to all of you who own center lug TR's to check your wheel torque at least once a week.

25. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    It's part of being in that exclusive club of Daytona's , 288s, f40s , bb Boxers , you know the club ;)

So, what you are saying is ..... Don't be a bottom feeder and fix / check the car :D